Christmas? Bah! Humbug!!

By JJ
@myklj999 (19705)
Yes, I'm one of those people. I hate Christmas. "Joy To The World" my (expletive deleted). The most over-hyped over-blown screwed up Holiday you could ever come up with. From what I understand, it is supposed to be about a celebration of the birth of the One known as Jesus Christ. That is all fine and well; I am not a Christian, but I can understand that. Instead, it has been corrupted into this nightmare of buying and receiving and who got what and Santa Claus and all that happy horsecrap. Sorry. I have no use for it. If Christmas brings joy and cheer to you, and your family all gets together and has a great time, I'm happy for you. But me? I'd just as soon ignore the whole mess. Don't like it, don't need it, don't want it. You can have it. Merry Christmas, y'all.
@tessah (6621)
"christmas" was originally a heathen holy day.. Winter`s Solstice.. Yule.. etc. meant to basically celebrate the returning of the sun (after the longest "night" the daylight starts lasting longer) it was adopted as a christian holiday to make conversions easier.. jesus wasnt born in december. *nod* all of the usual things, the tree.. santa.. etc.. are all seeped in pagan traditions. its the same with easter (aka Ostara, Spring Equinox) pretty much all of the christian "holy days" are lies and stolen from pagan heritages.. so its no real wonder why theyve turned materialistic and greedy. ;sigh;
@myklj999 (19705)
True. I wonder when this Jesus person was actually born.
@tessah (6621)
according to the book.. the shepherds were tending their flocks outside at night.. so the weather was warm. so some point in spring/summer *shrugs* just to clear up a mystery that nagged me as a kid.. the reasons why jehovas do not celebrate christmas and easter etc.. is because they ARE pagan holidays.. and they refuse to live the Lie thats been perpetuated by the church of rome. just thought id toss in that lil tidbit of info
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I'm no God botherer but I have to dispute that it was necessarily spring/summer. It gets chilly in Palestine in winter, but still warm enough to be out at night and they would have had fires etc. Surely the date December 25 is just a convenience. It could have been 4 July, no that's already taken, or June 17 (Queen's official birthday, go figure), no, that's gone too. Oh - Dec 25th will do. Merry Easter.
@p1kef1sh (45640)
I believe!!! You can too. Forget the commercialism, that's all cr@p. Smile at people and try to keep it up all year round. Christmas cheer can and often is very false. But it's a good place to start for the New Year. Sh1t, I'm starting to sound like Shirley Temple!
Yeah well, I happen to live on the Good Ship Lollipop!! Welcome aboard, p1key!
@p1kef1sh (45640)
Ooh. I love for my lollipop to be licked Nova. Candy cane heaven!
@myklj999 (19705)
No can do p1ke ol' buddy. To me, Christmas blows.
@SketcherD (1114)
And your profile says you are 7 years old??? HMMMMMM seems a little cynical for 7 to me!!! And wow what a vocabulary for a 7 year old!!
@myklj999 (19705)
I'm mature for my age.
@SketcherD (1114)
Ya right and I am the POPE!!!
@myklj999 (19705)
WOW! I never thought I'd see you on myLot, Your Holiness!
As I am doing my part in spreading all Christmas wishes I which that you receive tenfold all that you wish for others!!!
@myklj999 (19705)
Yeah yeah yeah...Merry Thanksgiving, whiteheather.
oops meant to say "wish" not which" and a very Happy Thanksgiving to you!
@kenzie45230 (3560)
As a Christian, it is a time of celebration for me - a time to celebrate the birth of Christ. But it's also a time to show friends and family how much I love them, not necessarily by buying gifts. Instead, I love making gifts, preparing foods, and spending time with loved ones.
@myklj999 (19705)
See, I understand the whole Christian celebrating it thing; I just hate all the other crap associated with it.
@oldboy46 (2132)
Yes Christmas has a religious significance for me too. It is the time to celebrate the birth of Christ but somewhere along the line the commercialism of it all came into the picture. We do not spend much money in the way of gifts either but are happy to spend the day with those friends and family who are special to us. We do tend to eat differently on Christmas day (also Easter) in that we buy foods that we would not normally buy. We like seafood but lobster and crayfish are not in our budget, other than for Christmas day and Good Friday. In that way we do splash out for ourselves, our family and friends. You are right in that it is good to be able to spend precious time with those we love, without going overboard with buying gifts.
@lvaldean (1612)
I am with you on the commercialism. But for me, well it is family traditions. This year will be hard though. My mom is gone and my dad is slowly fading away. I don't know maybe it will be the last year of the true traditions. I am not looking forward to the holidays this year except that my brother will be home from Korea. I only see him once a year so that is always my bestest present.
@myklj999 (19705)
Unfortunately, my family's biggest tradition is arguing.
@lvaldean (1612)
I guess we are a stingy family. We don't really focus on the whole gift thing. Immediate family (spouses) usually exchange gifts privately. Young children will usually get Father Christmas gifts under the tree on Christmas morning. Older chldren usually get money cards on the tree Christmas Eve ($20 and under is the rule). Immediate family can exchange privately if they choose. Meaning if I and my grown children want to maintain our own tradition of gift exchanges we can do so but we do so seperate from the main family gathering. My immediate family doesn't, but others of my siblings do. We do a name draw. Each adult member of the family gets one name to gift. The dollar limit is $50. We also do the White Elephant exchange on Christmas Eve. It is what we all look forward too every year. It is cut throat and funny. There are alot of us that play, I think the most was 37 of us. The gifts can be funny or really great. There is no limit on spending on the White Elephant, so we get really great stuff. Partners can play for each other if they want. Traditions are wonderful things. We have still, four generations living. I am hopeful that we can at least this year carry on our tradition of Christmas at least in memory of my mother. Even if this is the last year that we do so fully.
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
I understand that you hate Christmas because you have not managed to grasp the meaning of it. If you understand that Christ was born to save mabkind and bring us closer to God that it might have a different meaning for you. Happy christmas to you.
@myklj999 (19705)
You don't understand anything. I used to be a "Christian". I no longer am. I don't like all the overblown commercialism and think it should be left as a celebration for Christ, whether I believe in him or not.
@SaintAnne (5453)
Would you like it a little bit if you get a scratcher in one of them nicely-wrapped gifts?
@myklj999 (19705)
@cher913 (25890)
sorry you feel that way. if you ignore all the gift giving and the holiday hype and focus on the real meaning of the holiday, it may be more meaningful for you. there is nothing better than sitting in church on christmas eve and singing silent night and understanding the real meaning of the holiday. my suggestion to you would be to read the book of John in the Bible. that will tell you a little bit about Jesus and why HE thought christmas was so important.
@myklj999 (19705)
that will tell you a little bit about Jesus and why HE thought christmas was so important. Jesus thought it was important to celebrate his birthday? I'm sorry, but Christmas is not mentioned anywhere in the Bible that I have ever seen.
ahh wait a sec, i thought the bible said somewhere not to celebrate birthdays?
@cher913 (25890)
where? book? chapter? verse? what context was it in? just curious...
@mxzero (28)
Christmas is not that bad, but it will be much better if it shoudn't be done the usual ways they are doing it every year. It was so commercialize, christmas should be more about peace not rush hour buying gifts decorating your houses, parties and all that stuff. remember that the word Christ is there so it should be great and of course it shouldnt be done once a year but rather everyday in our hearts we should have Christ. =)
@myklj999 (19705)
Christmas is for Christ; but not me.
@mxzero (28)
whatever! hahaha please add me as your friend, i already sent my request.
@fwidman (11515)
Happy Holidays to you to Christmas has become what you say. Sad, but true
@myklj999 (19705)
I want some who pudding, and some roast beast.
@fwidman (11515)
Just like any other day, what you want and what you get are not always the same
@mssnow (9493)
santa - he is real
Hello mr scrooge. Do I have to send the three ghosts to visit you so you can find the true meaning of Christmas? Just because there is a lot of commercilaism out there doesnt mean that you cant find some joy in it. The beautiful lights that are on houses and trees. The decoarations are lovely. The classic christmas shows. Like "a Christmas carol" "white christmas" Or the Christmas Carols?? do you like or appreciate beauty or art or music?? Christmas does have its place there. You have to look outside the box. Find Christmas the way you want. even if its to say Bah humbug!! If thats how you choose to be a christmas then so be it. I'll just go back to my beautiful decorated house and tree and put on some music and drink egggnog Lol. Merry christmas to you too:) By the way "Yes virginia there is a Santa claus" LOL
@myklj999 (19705)
Santa got shot down by the Russians last year, didn't you hear about it?
@mssnow (9493)
I'll let you break the news to Virginaia
@savypat (20246)
I have to agree, Christmas is sadly misused. However I do enjoy the visiting, music, lights and magical attitude of the Children. May be we should call it something other then Christmas, I think historically Jesus was born at another time of year. Not being Christian, I don;t remember when.
@myklj999 (19705)
I have very few good memories of Christmas; most of them are something I would rather forget, yet each year they are drudged up again.
@savypat (20246)
I'm so sorry, I wish you some happy times this Christmas. I know you can make this happen if you get that inventive mind of yours working .
@Opal26 (17690)
Hey myklj! Is that you all decked out and green? Oh no! I believe it's The Grinch! Oh how cute! Well, I kind of know how you feel and all. I kind of feel that way too. I'm sort of ashamed to admit it. I have mixed feelings about Christmas. I don't celebrate it for the right reasons. It's not about a religious thing for me. It's about pretty lights and trees and gifts (not that I usually get any) and maybe seeing some friends. But, most of the time for me it's about feeling sad and depressed. I have trouble with holidays for some reason. I am usually alone pretty much. Oh, I get invited over to one of my friends for dinner or something, but it just doesn't make me feel happy. I have no family except my mom and we are never together and she doesn't celebrate Christmas anyway. You are right, it is totally about a bunch of hyped up stuff that most of the time I can't even bring myself to feel.
@myklj999 (19705)
I just want to hide under the covers from Thanksgiving 'til New Year's Eve.
@polachicago (19073)
I hear Christmas music in Pier One on November 12....hello, it was way too soon... I agree, I am not into the shopping craziness. I also eat the same for holidays as I do in normal day. It is enough for me to have friends and family together. In fact, we always have gifts for kids only.
@myklj999 (19705)
To be honest, if I was still married and had my kids with me, I probably would enjoy it.
no need to hate christmas wat did it do to you
@myklj999 (19705)
You can like it all you want and I can hate it all I want.
@Rosekitty (19438)
• San Marcos, Texas
Sorry Michael but I'm still sending you a card..Cards I send for family and friends..I do the xmas thing for the kids and grandkids since i love my family and we have time off..I know it has nothing to do with Jesus so i refuse to say Merry Christmas and I will enjoy it anyway without the never ending commercials telling me what to buy.
@myklj999 (19705)
I shall accept your card; it shall probably be the only one I get.
@camomom (7536)
I wa raised Catholic and I'm starting to feel the same way. Way too commercialized. It's turned into a Hallmark holiday just for the big business's to earn money. It has absolutely nothing to do with Jesus anymore. I'm with you, BAH HUMBUG!!!
@myklj999 (19705)
Hi myklj999, You are just like my husband, he hates it but he would eat all the food for the celebration, for me it is just to much work towing anf froing buying gifts and cooking, sometimes I would love to forget about it all, Bah! Humbug! to you too Merry Christmas. Tamara
@myklj999 (19705)
Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year to you.
@Chevee (5915)
I don't like your avatar Grinch. I refuse to let you steal my Christmas Joy. I don't know when Christ was born but I am going to celebrate anyway. The way I will be celebrating is the receiving part and if anyone wants to give me something fine with me but I have nothing to give anyone. Have a Merry Christmas.
@myklj999 (19705)
I don't wanna have a Merry Christmas...I wanna have a Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year.