Joy From The View Insults Homeschoolers

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6271001 After you have watched the clip, you can see where she calls Homeschool children demented, and afraid of all other children. As someone who homeschools my children, I find this rude, stereotypical, not to mention insulting. I have already sent a letter to the show, demanding an apology to all homeschoolers. To me this could even border on defamation of character, or slander. She has no right to say they are demented, especially since so many young actors are homeschooled.
@cjgrooms (4456)
Maybe the young actors is the reason that she thinks home schoolers are demented. But really are you surprised at any thing that she says? Most of the women on the view are very liberal and absolutely sure that anyone that has a different opinion is ignorant and demented. I finally stopped watching this show earlier this year. I just couldn't take the over-inflated egos and self-righteous spitefulness that they display towards anyone that disagrees with them on a daily basis.
@Ravenladyj (22940)
Maybe the young actors is the reason that she thinks home schoolers are demented I dont know...Elijah Wood, Leann Rimes, Ryan Gosling are all young(ish) homeschooled celebs but they are highly talented and not demented by any means..besides its not just young actors who were homeschooled...Whoopi Goldberg was homeschooled and she is IMO just amazing there are other..and come to think of it, isnt she on the show now?? I just couldn't take the over-inflated egos and self-righteous spitefulness that they display towards anyone that disagrees with them on a daily basis. Thats why I never got into the show...That sort of attitude just drives me around the bend
Actually she was trying to be funny, in her own stupid way, by insinuating that because George Bush was schooled at home, and she obviously thinks he is demented, she just said all homeschool children were demented, and would be like Bush. If Whoopi was homeschooled, I wish she had taken a stronger tone with her very ignorant co host.
@cjgrooms (4456)
I stand corrected. The Brittney's, Lindsey's and Paris's just get so much more publicity that they tend to over-shadow the ones that actually act like normal level-headed people.
I guess people on tv should really be careful of what they say since they may really irritate people's sensitivities. I sympathize with you! They should really be wary of what they say!
I respect her right to her opinion. We all have them. Homeschooling is not for everyone. However saying someone is demented is more than an opinion, it is just plain wrong, when she does not even know the people she is claiming are demented.
@glorst (19)
I was homeschooled, and I am not at all afraid of other people, I had a lot of good friends that I still hang out with today. And as for the View, I just avoid watching shows like that all together, they just end up making me mad (or agonizingly bored) and shorten my lifespan.
I am glad to hear you are not afraid of people. I wish I had seen other homeschoolers blogging about this, but it did not get a whole lot of attention.
That's horrible! I think beside an apology on air, they should also do a segment of their show that shows the truth about homeschooling! I have noticed a pattern of liberal types who not only scoff at homeschooling, but feel it is OK to put them down, and make all kinds of weird, invalid statements about home schooled children not learning anything, and being completely empty headed and religious robots, etc. It's completely untrue, like so many liberal ideas. The studies show instead that home schooled children consistently out perform student at public and private schools, on required tests, and also show absolutely no ill effects socially from remaining home.
Thank you, and I hope they will apologize.
@stealthy (8188)
I used to watch the View on occasion a long time ago when they had the original crew and they were always insulting men in those days. According to them then no man could do any right except for liberal leaning celebrities and politicians who they catered to. A couple of weeks before 9/11 they tore a fireman to shreds over nothing. It was amazing how suddenly they changed their tune after 9/11, but it only lasted about 3 months or so and then they were back to beating up on men again.
I suppose you get a bunch of women together, and man bashing can happen. To make their whole show about men bashing is dumb. I am glad I have never really gotten into this show much.
@Ravenladyj (22940)
As someone who homeschools my children, I find this rude, stereotypical, not to mention insulting I've not watched the clip yet but I fully intend to and should I feel the need after watching it, I'll be sending an email as well...I am a former homeschooler, I homeschooled my kids for 2 yrs and her comment is not only rude and insulting but its completely and utterly wrong in MOST cases.
Thank you
@bamakelly (5194)
Hi. I did view the clip. It seemed like the majority of the conversation just hit on secret service agents and kids of politicians being protected while in school. That was a quite terse remark made by this Joy woman. I don't think that anyone should be criticizing any parent's ideas about education for their children. At least home schooling kids is keeping them out of trouble by getting educated. If they are in the home learning or in school learning they are still getting an education. The children will be fine and make friends no matter what.
It has long been a stereotype that homeschool children are isolated. This may be true for a small number of homeschooled children, but it is not the norm. I just think people who are supposed to be role models should be more educated.