I love my family (in-laws) dearly,BUT!!!

@reinydawn (11649)
Tonight they really hurt me and my husbands feelings... I knew last week this was going to happen, but tried to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. Every year for the week of Thanksgiving, my husbands nephews come up to visit. They always stay with my inlaws and sometimes they will spend a night with us. My sister-in-law comes up about every other year, and this is the year she's up here. Well, originally, my husband and I were going to pick her up from the airport and take her to lunch/dinner. Normally my in-laws pick her up so we made sure we let them know of our plans. They weren't exactly thrilled, but they were ok with it. Last week, my sister-in-law decided that she would like to have a car while she was here so she decided to rent a car from the airport. She was going to drive to her parents and we'd pick her up for dinner from there. I knew right away that things were not going to turn out well from this change. Well, we found out today that my in-laws invited a long-time friend of my sister-in-law for dinner tonight! We found this out from a facebook post this afternoon. We tried to play it off that we didn't know just to see what was really going on... So we showed up to pick her up at the appointed time and our in-laws were very surpised to see that we showed up for dinner. When we told them we were there to pick up my sister-in-law for dinner as planned they acted all surprised like they didn't know. We had talked with them about it at least a week ago. My husband was very upset, and I didn't even pretend to be happy about this. I don't know if my in-laws saw this an a way to keep her with them instead of with us, or if in sister-in-law saw this as a way to get out of going with us and staying with them, but it really irritates me that my husbands family plays these kind of games! I mean, I am so about if you don't want to do something, TELL THE PERSON THAT WANTS YOU TO DO IT! If she didn't want to go out with us, she should have told us (and I'm pretty sure she would have so I don't think that's the case). Or, if you want to spend more time with her, TELL US! Or, if you have something like this arranged behind your back, tell the people that arranged it that they're outta luck because you alrady have plans. But NOOOOO!!!!! Nobody wants to hurt anyone's feelings (except ours of course) so we don't rock the boat. UGH!!! I didn't realize that I was so upset about this still - after 3 margairtas and an ok movie...
That is maddening. I don't know why people always seem to pick on the nice ones in the family. I have a few cousins that seem to like to play games when it comes to Christmas time. It is like I am expected to read their minds, to know how they think at all times. I hope your side of the family doesn't give you any trouble!
@reinydawn (11649)
MY side of the family knows that I'll beat them up if they pull a stunt like this one me!!! hahaha - just kidding, I'd only disown them.... I think it's easier for my family because we all see each other a few times a year. Although my husband and I try to see his sister every year, his father and brother only wait until she comes up here - every couple years. I can understand that they want to spend time with her too, but they could have the kahunas to at least tell us. Oh well, what's done is done... No big deal really...
@jeanena (1616)
• Bucklin, Kansas
I am sorry they pulled this kind of stuff on you dear. I know how these things go though. I cant complain about my in laws being like that.My family on the other hand is a total different story all together. Like the cousin who makes plans with me and then decides to change plans at the last minute. This is why I seldom have anything to do with most of them.
@reinydawn (11649)
I know it's hard because my husbands father hardly ever sees his daughter, only when she comes up here. We, on the other hand have gone to visit her a few times. I guess I shouldn't be so greedy and want to spend time with her when they only see her about once every couple years... It was just very frustrating and kinda underhanded the way it was done.