Is your partner like your mother/father?

I have often heard people say “a woman will go for someone like her father” or “a man will always choose someone like his mother” for a life partner. Well my question is this, is it the case with you? Personally I have found that I have chosen to be with someone who is slightly like my father, he is not exact, but there are things he does, that makes me think of my dad. For example, my dad is a terrible hoarder of tools, even if he doesn’t need a 4th drill, he will go out and buy one, if he thinks one day in a million years he might need that router, he will pop off and buy it… then he will proceed to bring it home, and place it in the house and not the shed… Well my boyfriend does the exact same thing, if we are shopping, and he sees some tools, even if he currently has no use for the, me will buy them, then I will find them somewhere in the house and not in the shed! My sister has chosen a partner that also resembles my dad, but in a different way, my dad can be a little funny over money, for example, he is willing to buy useless things like toys, but grumbles and moans about buying the necessities like food (I don’t know why, he’s odd like that). My sisters boyfriend also has a problem with sticking his hand in his pockets to pay for the every day stuff we all need, but will buy tat that is not necessary. So, have you found a partner that resembles your mother or father?
• New Zealand
I think that maybe you are right. I to have a partner who has similar qualities like my father. At first I thought I was weird when I noticed the smilrities and I would fell even weirder when he says thinks like " that what my ma says " or " thats exactly what my ma would do" , but after reading your post I have realized that it may be normal after all.
@paula27661 (15900)
Heaven forbid! Please tell me that my partner is NOT like my Dad! I'm pretty sure he isn't, because my dad is a grumpy and arrogant old thing at times and my husband is a lot more pleasant to have around!
So there is nothing at all that reminds you of your dad when you are with your partner, no little quirks or habits that you think to yourself “omg, dad does that!”? Not everyone falls for someone with the characteristics of their parents, but I have found it to moderately common in my family and with my friends.
@paula27661 (15900)
Come to think of it, I guess my partner's sense of humour can be similar to my dad's, because although he is a grumpy old thing, my father can actually be quite funny when he wants to be and my husband's hunour is dry and funny like dad's.