The moon and the star

@ronaldinu (12440)
Malta
Tonight there was a half moon and a bright star beside it in the dark blue sky. It was such a beautiful scene that I wished that I had a digital camera on me to be able to take a photo.
@guybrush (4660)
In Australia, it appeared as an 'emoticon moon' - two bright eyes (Venus and Jupiter) which were aligned as eyes over the moon's smiley mouth. Unfortunately, there was heavy cloud cover over where I live - I'd been looking foward to seeing it very much, and it was spoilt!
@webeishere (36353)
I thought it was Mercury and Venus HAHAHA
@Modestah (11192)
oh wow! that must have given you a tickle. ours of course had that crescent moon more to the left and above the two planets.
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hello ronaldinu That sounds lovely. I have always got my camera on me as I have one on my phone though I am not sure it would take such a good picture as my digital camera!
In mythology, that is Aphrodite dancing with the Mother Goddess. The bright "star" we see near the moon in its early phases is Venus, although this week Jupiter has also been evident, an event that happens every five years. In fact there has just been a Venus Jupiter eclipse. Lash
@mentalward (14695)
Moon, Venus, Jupiter - This is a drawing of what we saw tonight. It will probably be visible tomorrow night as well so, if you want to see it, you'd better hurry! It won't be around again until the year 2053!
I saw that! Well, it was a crescent moon from where we live, but I saw that bright star below it. It was quite spectacular! I was just coming home from shopping tonight and there is was, right in front of me. I was wondering what that "star" was... most likely Venus. I looked it up and, sure enough, it's Venus up there. Actually, Jupiter is visible as well! I found a drawing of the three of them. This group won't be visible again until the year 2053!
@mentalward (14695)
I saw the date for the next "showing" above mine saying 2036 so I had to go look at it again. We're both wrong. LOL The website I looked at said 2052. Whichever it is, it's going to be awhile before we see these three heavenly bodies together again!
@deebomb (15322)
I had been looking forward to this event since it came out on the news. I did see the early stages as the stars Venus, Jupiter and a crescent moon came together. I didn't get to see it Saturday or Sunday night because we decided to have rain. It rained all week end. I did get to see it Monday night but they were already moving apart. The news article I read said that it will happen again November 18, 2052 Venus and the crescent moon only will be visible New Years eve. That event will be nice but not the same as this one.
@derek_a (10902)
Yes, I saw that bright star close to the half-moon. It was quite incredible. There were a few other bright stars nearby too. It made all problems we are experiencing here seem much smaller considering that star is probably billions of light-years away.. :-) Derek
@bombshell (11266)
you can use your cellphone if you have camera on it.
@Modestah (11192)
it was an incredible vision. a bright crescent moon on the left and venus and jupiter ever so close and extremely bright. I reckon this won't happen again for "many moons"
@kun2349 (23475)
haha.. It's always like this, a camera will not be with us whenever we need it.. lol =D I have seen a full moon which is very low from the sky, and it's almost like i can touch it.. hehe ^_^ The whole imagine is very nice, and it's really low because i can see that it's VERY big and bright.. hehe.. That moment is indeed nice as i dun get to see it often, and rather, only seen it once.. hehe.. Too bad, i dun have a camera to capture that beautiful moment too ^_^
@gtdonna (1740)
I saw it and indeed it was beautiful, it formed a nice smiley face and my friends said it won't happen that way again until 2036. Actually it was the moon and Venus and Jupiter - lovely
@webeishere (36353)
There are two "stars" next to the moon. They are actually Venus and Mercury the planets. Mercury I believe is the brightest of those two but not positive. A very beautiful sight. HAPPY POSTINGS FROM GRANDPA BOB !!~
Hi ronaldinu, Is a shame that we don't carry a digital camera around with us as that is when you see things tha you may never see again. That must have been a beautiful sight. Tamara
@littleowl (7157)
Hi ronald, this going to go on for the month..it should be quite a spectacular thing in the sky as jupitwe, neptune and the moon all become aligned cant wait to see it...so keep watching the night sky...littleowl
@Anne18 (11036)
Could this have been the christmas star coming early I am wondering! I bet it was a wonderful sight to see.
@scorpio19 (1363)
Hi ronaldinu, I wished too you had a camera with you, I would of loved to of seen the pic you would of taken, I'II go see if I can see it but it's been snowing today where I am so they sky is still full of it, so doubtful I will beable to see it.