Where can you go without flying on a plane?

@maximax8 (27049)
I wonder where you can go by train, bus or ferry from your home country. I live in Europe and so I could catch a train to France or Belgium or go to France by ferry. Then mainland Europe has an excellent train system and when I was younger I did an inter rail trip on it. The furthest it is easy to get is Morocco and it would be more difficult to get to Egypt. I am reading a flight free travel guide at the moment and it says "train travel produces a tenth of the greenhouse gases per passenger per mile of planes". However it goes on to mention that the budget airlines from my home country have really cheap fares compared to trains. Coaches are have some cheap fares but the ferries are quite pricey. People that live in the USA could pop down to Mexico by train, bus and ferry. Alternatively they could go pop up to Canada by train or bus. However for people that live in Australia flying is the only option. A TV crew went overland from Ireland to Australia and the boat ride from Indonesia to Australia was really rough. I care about the environment but traveling is my top hobby. So can you go to any other countries by train, bus or ferry? Do you fly on planes very often?
@williamjisir (22909)
Hello maximax. We have a very good train system in China, especially in the east part of China. It is very convenient to travel by train as well as by bus and plane. I usually travel to my hometown by train though I have travelled in a plane back to my hometown during the winter vacation.
@maximax8 (27049)
Hello Williamjisir. You have a great train system in China. I have seen in the timetable that there is soft class and there is hard class. I think that going from Beijing via Mongolia would be a fascinating journey my friend. Also going south to Vietnam would be interesting. Many routes by train are possible from China it seems.
Thank you for the response. Yeah, we have quite a few trains to outside China, to our neighboring countries. I wish to be able to visit at least one of them some day. Take care, friend.
@bombshell (11268)
hmmm thats a good question maxi! well since i am in germany i guess i can travel wherever i want by using car or train.
@maximax8 (27049)
Hi my friend Bombshell. Germany is an excellent location for traveling in Europe. If I lived there I would catch a train the the Czech Republic. When I was studying in the Netherlands for four months I popped over to Germany to get the Weekend Wonder Ticket. It took me all over Germany for a low price on slow trains. Many changes were necessary from the Dutch border to Bamberg but it was great fun.
@bombshell (11268)
hi maxi,yeah it was great and affordable but this time its impossible to travel!
Am fortunate in that I have already done much travelling by plane; going round the world in 1990 to 91, when the environment was nothing like the hot topic that it now is. Feel I have got most of my 'travel bug' out of the system. Will probably do all my holidaying in England, maybe Wales or Scotland and possibly a holiday abroad, if a last minute bargain comes up and I haven't decided to do anything else. Try to avoid flying, but if it happens to be the most practical way, then I would probably go for it. Don't seem to have the patience or time to spend masses of time travelling huge distances by overland transport, these days. This can be fun, though, if you're with the right people. And in places like India, for example, it is often possible to meet up with people while travelling, and then the time soon goes! I guess we all have our different tastes and preferences. This is what makes the world such an interesting place!
@maximax8 (27049)
I went around the world for just over one year in 1993 to 94. Then in 2001 to 02 I did another long trip to New Zealand and the Pacific Islands for a few months. A train ticket from London to Rome might be four times the cost of a flight but it would be worth it for the environment. A traveler could leave London in the late morning and arrive in Paris in the evening. He or she could then sleep in a comfortable compartment on a train until a morning arrival into Rome. Yes, meeting other people and chatting to them when traveling can be delightful fun. I have cut down on flying on a plane to one trip a year. I still have the travel bug and it is incurable. I so love to hear different opinions.
@twoey68 (13662)
I live in the US...so by car I can go anywhere in the US, Mexico and by ferry into Canada. I'm sure there are other countries I could get to by going through Mexico or Canada but those are our adjoining ones. [b]~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG AND TRUST IN GOD**[/b]
@maximax8 (27049)
I think an exciting journey might be to bus down to Central America from Mexico. Then it would be possible to go to Belize, a little country with Mayan ruins and a Caribbean coastline. One day I would love to go across Canada by train. I have had some charming and memorable experiences traveling by train in the USA.
@Idlewild (6105)
I'm in the Northeastern U.S., so I can catch a train or bus to Montreal, or to Toronto (it's further, though). From where I am you could also drive or take a bus to Maine, where you can catch a ferry to the maritime provinces of Canada (an area I've always wanted to visit). My relatives are scattered all over the U.S., and I need to take a plane to visit most of them.