Berlusconi plans to use G8 presidency to 'regulate the internet'

@xfahctor (14128)
Lancaster, New Hampshire
As if a nation filtering it's internet were not bad enough. So now there are people pushing for "world" regulation of it? Apparently, the Italian leader now wishes to impose this type of censorship on the entire planet, using his presidency in the G8. Sorry Mr. Berlusconi, you do not run my country and you do not control my internet. I urge people to write Pres Elect Obama and tell him that we, the people of the united states REFUSE to join the ranks of nations like China, Australia, Saudi Arabia and others that practice censorship and control over the information their people have access to on the internet. We the people of the United States WILL NOT bow to any "world authority" in creating laws for ourselves. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/03/berlusconi_g8_internet/
@MntlWard (880)
I'm not sure what Berlusconi means by "regulating," but if he's talking about regulating speech, I'd be against that. I'm all for keeping net neutrality regulations in place, though.
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
I don't know what he meant. but just the fact that he said anything bothers me. Anything from outside this country that attempts to regulate anything the people in this country do in our own country, speech, religion, ANYTHING, especialy anything that goes in contradiction to our constitution, should make peoples blood boil
@irisheyes (4373)
Seems like these attempts crop up every couple years. Did you ever read John Perry Barlows "Declaration of Independence for Cyberspace"? That was written at least ten years ago and it's still the gold standard as far as I know. I'm really surprised to see Australia on that list.
We are really going to have to keep a close on eye on the G8 and the UN. THey are going to try in the very near future to comprimise our sovernity and take more control over the world. They all need to be gotten rid of. The G8, world court, and the UN. They do not do us any good. And now with the way our ecomony is going and the UN friendly president that is about to come in.....I see some bad chances if we are not on our toes.
@xfahctor (14128)
• Lancaster, New Hampshire
The scary thing is things like this happen in small increments, like a dog slowly creeping to your feet while at the dinner table. The SCARIER part is people who pay little to zero attention to things like this and would rather argue about candidate's wardrobes or religions. Any action by our government that submits to world authority or regulations that directly contradict or circumvent our constitution, should be seen as nothing short of high treason and dealt with in the prescribed manner.
@sharone74 (4839)
I am sure that to some degree censorship of one kind or another occurs all over the internet. You never know what country a site may be hosted from and it is often hard to find reliable corroboration of the activities of other nations. Every government would like more control over the internet and how people use it. But because it is so vast it is, for the moment anyway, impossible to police it all. I am sure that the governments of the world are trying to find a way to control it all with their censorship and filtering. That doesn't remove the content from the internet it just means that other means to access the content that one wants must be found. You can log on through a server in a less restrictive country.