Getting Picked On

How do you teach your kids to handle it when other kids pick on them? This is not something I've had to deal with before, but now my 6 year old daughter is telling me that there is a girl in school who is mean to her a lot. I don't know if it's just usual girl stuff, or if my daughter is being overly sensative (which she can be) or if it's a real problem that needs attention. I've already sent a note to the teacher to keep an eye open for it and let me know her take on the situation, or handle it if she has to. But I still need to teach my daughter how to handle this so that it doesn't affect her self esteem. What would you tell her? How would you handle it?
@Purtle (274)
Well telling the teacher might not have been the best idea. How long has this been going on for? If you told the teacher only after 1 or 2 days, you might have just made it worse. If the teacher "protects" your daughter, then it could just give more initiative to 'bully' her since she needs someone to protect her. However she would eventually need protection eventually if it persists. Anyways I would tell your daughter that she was maybe having a bad day or something. Or maybe have her ask the other girl why she picks on her.
@camomom (7536)
We've had the same problems with his son. We just tell him to try to ignore it and stay away from the other kids that pick on him. We also talked to his teacher. We told him to make sure if they keep it up to tell his teacher. I think most kids go through this at some point and there really isn't much we as parents can do about it.
@lilybug (21148)
My son gets picked on sometimes at school. He actually told em the other day that he wanted to stay home because kids are picking on him for no reason. At school and on the bus before and after school. I told him to just try to ignore those kids. I told him that I know it is hard to ignore them, but he is a great kid and he should not let them bother him. It is not his fault these kids parents did not teach them how to be nice.
@dookie03 (578)
I haven't got to run into this one just yet since my son is only a 13months old, but my dad always used to tell me to just ignore them or see a teacher or something when i was that age. The only problem is that i'm a little guy and always have been, so i made friends with the bigger guys and they stopped picking on me. That and i'm irish so i fought alot when i finally reached high school. I'd say for his age have the teachers look out for him.
@lynnemg (4539)
I have told my kids that normally is someone is picking on them, that person is probably just having a bad day, and they should do their best to ignore the comment. If it persisits, I tell my kids to talk to their teacher about it. I think the most important thing I have told them is that if someone is continually picking on them, that person is probably insecure about something in their own life, or ccassionally seeking some kind of attention from my kid. In my experience, kids that bully or pick on others alot are simply in need of a good friend. Often, they deal with a lot more than we realize and do not know how to reach out any other way.
@ravinskye (8242)
My daughter hasn't had any trouble with it so far. I've been trying to prepare her early though because she is very sensitive too. I just tried to explain to her that sometimes kids can be mean and that she should just not be near kids like that. I've also been trying to teach her to be nice to everyone too. There was a girl in her preschool class that wasn't ready to be there. A lot of the kids didn't like her. I told my daughter that she didn't have to like her but that she should never be mean to her.
@chaolai (162)
tell her to exercise the power of forgive and forget. tell her that if the person hurt her try to talk to that person dont get mad easily and forgive the person, forget what had happened and back to normail routine. tell your daughter that there is someone who will do the revenger her, believe in karma it is just in the corner. dont return hurting to another hutrting. cheer up! happy mylotting!