Have you priced out car insurance rates

@Debs_place (10525)
I keep seeing the commercials that tell me that their company is cheaper and better and I think come January I will start shopping but I thought some of you may have done some shopping already and could give me a head start on the process. If you have checked, please tell me what state you live in, ( I live in NY), your approximate age, who you called and who your current insurance company is and what the results were? ALso a brief driving history. WHo was cheaper and by how much? Someone I worked with said she called AARP about their policy and that it was several hundred more then her current policy. Any insurance company stories good and bad are welcome as well since customer service is a factor.
@peavey (16487)
The only way you can know is to compare quotes from several different companies. Go to lowermybills.com or something like that and see what it comes up with. I use Geico, which is quite a bit cheaper for me than anything else, but my daughter checked and it would have cost her twice as much as Progressive asked, so it really depends on your individual situation.
@Debs_place (10525)
That really does not make sense, it is like they have a different set of rules for everyone.
@peavey (16487)
Well, they have the same rules, but it all plays out differently. They figure it according to your age, marital status, driving record, type and age of car, kind of driving you do and so on. They all use these criteria, but each company has their own emphasis, so it makes sense that one would cost differently for any particular individual.
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
Where I live unfortunately we have no choice. We have one insurance company and that's where we buy from. It isn't cheap and I think part of the reason it's as high as it is is because there's no competition.
@Debs_place (10525)
Yes, a lack of competition seems to foster high prices and crummy customer service. I feel for you.
Yes so true. To insure my van it's 1,143.00 a year but I do have the option to insure every three months, and besides they want 243.00 a year for collision coverage. I might like to say that's with my good driving discount, so lord only knows what I'd have to pay if I had a crappy driving record. I have no marks against my licence what so ever therefore this is the best rate. It's sad how they take us for a ride literally!!!
@slickcut (8141)
All I have is Liability..I live in Houston Texas...I pay 68.00 a month for 2 auto's,a car & a truck..I buy my insurace at a nearby Farmers Ins..I have not checked to see if i can get it cheaper..
@Debs_place (10525)
WOW, 68 a month is not bad. I doubt you can get it cheaper. My son moved from NY to Georgia, his insurance went from about 5K a year to about $1500 a year.
Hi Debs_place, I don't drive a car but my husband does and he is with the AA and he says they are far cheaper then the other car insurance companies, but we are in the UK. Tamara
@Debs_place (10525)
I don't think they have that here...I will have to put them on a list to call. Thanks
@mentalward (14697)
I haven't checked out insurance prices recently but I know that the best way to go about it is to get quotes from several different companies. My son has Progressive. They will give you quotes from several different insurance companies and theirs is not always the cheapest! We have State Farm because my husband is very stubborn and refuses to do any looking around for better quotes. He said he needed them once and they were great so that's why he refuses to budge. I had Allstate for maybe 20 years before I moved from the city to the county. Rates are supposed to be cheaper in the county but Allstate wanted $300 more per year than what I had been paying in the city! They claimed that I had moved to a "high-risk area". I told them that I was not a high-risk driver but they said that didn't matter. I wasn't going to pay for what other drivers were doing! I dropped them so fast they didn't know what happened! So, you've just got to look around, do a lot of comparisons and find one you're happy with. This is something that takes time, for sure! I'd go to one like Progressive to get price quotes from several companies at once. Progressive is honest because, like I said, their quote is not always the cheapest. Good luck!
@Debs_place (10525)
Well must hand it to progressive. They will be first on my list. THanks