Good day for soup!

@Barb42 (4217)
It has turned rather cool in our area. Just looking out the window makes me cold. It looks so dreary. It is supposed to start raining Monday afternoon, if it holds out that long. Anyway, I was sitting here, thinking we need something warm to eat on a day like today. I didn't have anything to make more chili. I used all that up last week. But I checked my cabinet and refrigerator and found enough ingredients to make a large pot of soup! Oh, it smells so good! I still have to make some cornbread to go with it. I had rather have that with soup than crackers. To me, crackers go with chili. Are you having something warm today? I know the soup will taste good while we are watching the Alabama/Florida football game this afternoon.
Today is a great day for soup. I hate that the weather has turned so cold.:( I have to go to my company christmas party so hopefully they will serve something that will warm us up. Have fun watching the game. I am having to record it so I can watch it when I get home so hopefully it doesn't get spoiled for me cause I want to watch it for myself. It isn't as much fun when you have already heard who won.
@Barb42 (4217)
I hope you have something warm. But then, the party room will probably be comfortable, so anything will taste good. The company my husband worked for always had great food at our Christmas parties. We will be recording the ball game, too. My husband is out raking straw, and he'll come in about 30 minutes into the game and take a bath and then we'll start watching it. We have TIVO, so we'll forward through all the commercials which makes it nice. But like you, I never want someone to tell me the score if we are recording it we are out for the day. It happened at my grandson's basketball tournament a couple weeks ago. I finally said 'don't tell us the score again. We are recording it', and they didn't. Maybe you won't be near anyone who is listening to the game, and don't turn on your radio in the car.
I won't be listening to the radio for sure since I live in SEC country that is all that is on the radio no matter what station you turn it to they will be updating you. We will have to listen to a cd so it doesn't get spoiled for us. I wouldn't know what to do without tivo anymore!!
@sharra1 (6344)
Every day is a great day for soup. I have always loved soups and in summer if you think they are too hot you can eat them cold. My parents used to tease me about my passion for soup that even beat my passion for sweets.
Soup tastes good any time. My partner and I are on a soup diet, and so far (10 days) we have lost 12 lbs between us. For variety, rather than go to the trouble of cooking up several different soups, we buy cans of non-thickened soups from the supermarket, and serve it with home-baked bread. It costs us around $6.00 a day for two meals for two people. Lash
@Barb42 (4217)
I've never heard of a soup diet. Sounds like it's working for you both. I'd need to leave off the home-made bread. I could eat the whole loaf!
It's our own creation, and it's now 14 lbs between us lol. Each meal is just under 300 calories, and the bread and butter alone are 130 calories, so don't you go eating that bread. Lash
@mentalward (14697)
May I come over? I'm going make some turkey soup. We were sick on Thanksgiving day so I had it this week instead. I have lots of turkey left over! LOL So, turkey soup for me! You're sounds better because (1) I didn't make it and (2) you make it sound sooooooooo good!!!!! It's freezing here, too. I believe it got down to 17° here last night and it's only 29° right now. Soup sounds PERFECT!!!
@Barb42 (4217)
Come on over. We have plenty! I still have to make my cornbread,though, so you'll have a little wait. It's not freezing here now. It was in the low 20's this morning. It has gotten up to 46, but feels 43. The sun has actually come out right now, not that it will stay out but a few minutes. The wind makes it feel much colder. Tomorrow, though, it is going to be colder than today. It's going to be 55 on Monday and up to 68 on Tuesday! Can you believe this crazy weather? It's warming back up to rain all week! I sure hope it doesn't or my husband won't get to work next week after Monday.
@mentalward (14697)
I've learned to never expect anything when it comes to the weather! It IS crazy! My son is freaking out about it being so cold now because he thinks it will be even worse later this winter. I try to tell him we might have a warm winter! You just never know anymore! I hope, for your (and your husband's) sake, that you don't have rain all week. We need the moisture, of course, but I wish it would come like once a week and leave the rest of the week alone! From what I've seen, it's going to be a very snowy winter, here at least. There sure has been a lot of precipitation recently! We've had 4 days when it snowed already and it normally doesn't snow until mid to late December! I'm not worried about an especially cold winter, though. Maybe a few days here and there, like it is here today and will be tomorrow, but it'll warm up again. It IS nutty weather! The poor plants outside! They don't know what to do! I'll try to talk with the weather gurus to move some of that rain to another area for ya!
@jambi462 (4598)
Yeah you know that soup can cure a lot of ailments and can definitely cure the disease of cold weather. It's full blown winter up here and it's great to come home to a warm bowl of stew or soup or chili.
@Barb42 (4217)
We have really been into chili this winter. But my husband asked me other day if we had the makings for soup. So today I decided to get in there and make a pot! It smells so good! I had fresh cabbage, onion, and celery to put in it, too. Can't wait to get into it this afternoon.
@missybear (11396)
Today is Pizza day but i do love some home made Split Pea or Navy Bean and Ham soup.
@Barb42 (4217)
Split pea soup brings back memories. AND they aren't good. Mother used to cook split pea soup and I hated it!! Just the thoughts makes me sick. I could never bring myself to eat it and I never made it for my kids. I doubt that they know what it is. But I'm sure there are many people like you who love it.
@sudhibus (100)
• Kuwait
Hi... I too started cooking soup after seeing your article. Too cold here, so having a soup at this time is a good suggestion. Thanks for it.Let me taste the soup.bye...
@Barb42 (4217)
Hope your soup was a good as mine. I know it warmed you up because ours did. I put lots of black pepper in mine. My husband thought I hadn't put enough and put more in his bowl. He soon found out I had put enough!
@YamiKiba (938)
Yes I agree it has been a good day for soup lately. I like it when its cold out since it gives me an excuse to stay under my covers most of the day and sleep in. When I do wake up though, I end up playing a videogame right from my bed and I get really lazy. When I did manage to get up and going though, I did eat some soup to warm me up, but I don't like being too warm so we never really use the heater in our home.
@Barb42 (4217)
Now, I could have stayed in bed this morning, but, when I wake up, I want to eat. So I got up, although it was chilly. How do you go without a heater?
Hi Barb, Boy are you right about a good day for soup!!! It is getting pretty chilly in these parts lately. I mad a big pot of gumbo yesterday, did that ever hit the spot. I will be making a pot of chili tomorrow. It is my day off and I will have plenty of time to get it done with some TLC. Of course a cornbread is a must with chili. Chicken and dumplings sounds so good, I'm going to have to find a good recipe and try it. Have a good day and hopefully that soup will keep you nice and warm. LOL
@Barb42 (4217)
Gumbo sounds great, too! I guess we will have soup again today for lunch when I get home from church. It's about 35 here now, but with the wind chill factor, it's feels 27!
@ch88ss (2270)
soup on a cold day sounds really delicious. I am not good at making home made soup so I would have to buy them from the store. I think once I have less responsibility at home, it will get better.
@mimico (3619)
I have been sick for the past few days so I've been craving for soup as well! I wanted corn soup with egg but my mom didn't like me to have anything canned. :( I only had some clear broth with veggies for a few days but yesterday, when I finally left the house to accompany my mom to the grocery, she bought me a bowl of warm clam chowder which was delicious!!! YUM!
@sharra1 (6344)
I adore soup and you eat it all the time. I am on a soup diet at the moment where we have soup for lunch and dinner. I used to make my own soups but now we can by lots of lovely ready to eat soups in tins for 2 people and it makes a lovely meal with some home cooked bread. Take me to a buffet where you can eat as much as you want and I am often back for second helpings of soup after the meal is over rather than desserts. I just love soup hot or cold.
though it is winter season in our country. it's warm in our city zhuhai.yes, soup and chili will taste good in cold day.they can make person warm.wish you have a happy day!