have you ever had smelt?

@LittleMel (14055)
I have never had smelt before. Hubby said he knows how to cook it but apparently something went wrong. He deep fried it, but the result is too much fat and I just can't stand the smell. I don't even like the taste, and this is the first time I don't like the taste of fish because I love seafood and since I was young fish and shrimp is always a part of family meal. So have you ever had smelt? What do you do with it? I know now deep frying won't do it. I don't even think we can make a soup out of it, like clam chowder. It just doesn't taste that good to begin with. I like sardines, I thought smelt tastes like sardines LOL well now I know it doesn't .. ewww
Smelt? I am so totally intrigued right now. I'm going to have to look that up. I've also never had sardines. To be honest, I'm kind of afraid to. Is smelt something he used to eat when he was a kid? That is cool that at least you were going to try something new. I'm going to have to gain enough courage to try sardines someday.
@LittleMel (14055)
do you have sardines in a small can over there, ambie? smelt looks like those small sardines I don't know if there is bigger sardine but the small ones in the can thats just how smelt looks like, only it doesn't taste as good to begin with fish and shrimp I never have a problem deepfrying them but smelt is the first so far that I think only frying them will do hubby has tried it but he uses it for bait mostly
Bait? lol Okay, I do know what sardines look like.
@LittleMel (14055)
actually no I made a boo boo the bait is minnows and that one I'm not interested to try
@vicki2876 (5640)
A few years ago before I went vegetarian my partner did show me how to catch smelts and cook them. They were okay but I was never a fish eater really. Tuna in a can once in a blue moon but that was about it. LOL He eats a lot of Smelts and just loves them. He grew up on the Atlantic coast and fish was eaten nearly every day as a youth for his family. Best way to cook them was a bit of veggie oil in a frying pan and just fry them for a couple minutes and put in a paper towel after to dry off the extra oil. They were a bit smelly, but most fish I find is kinda stinky. But then people here think my house smells cause I cook with a lot of curries. Oh well. LOL
I am not a vegetarian, but do consume aplenty of vegetables in salads and just slight stir-fry with garlic. chinese vegetarian cuisine has become very creative in varieties. Vegetarian fish, mutton, beef, shrimp, etc. all made from beans/flour, really taste like its original. So you are a curry lover, I love to cook curry with mixture of cabbage, lady-finger, brinjal, tomatoes, potatoes, fried beancurd pouches, which is all vegetarian, can be added with fish, occasionally to my choice.
@LittleMel (14055)
yeah even if I buy fish here at the grocery they are frozen and yet I can still smell it but not as stinky as this one frying in pan with little oil sounds better than deep fry
@yokhon48 (93)
Fishy smell is not quite a problem to me. I was a meat lover before, have prefer seafood and fish as favourites now. I normally fry often than steam, soup with fish slices with bean curd (tofu), salted vegetables & tomatoes in chinese cuisine. In my country, curry fish-head is a popular side dish with rice.
@LittleMel (14055)
I can try that with smelt I guess smelt alone doesn't taste as good as other fish like sardine or salmon curry and salted vegetables might be able to help with that