act of random kindness

there is an old story of an elderly man who always carried a little can of oil with him everywhere he went, and when he would go through a door that squeaked, he would squirt a little oil on the hinges. if he encountered a gate that was hard to open, he would oil the latch. and so he went through life, lubricating all the difficult places, making it easier for all those who came after him. people called the man eccentric, stange, and crazy, but he went steadily on, often refilling of oil when in was nearly empty, and oiling all the difficult places he found. in this world, there are many lives that painfully wreak and grate as they go about their daily work. often it seems that nothing goes right with them and that they need lubricating with "the oil of joy" (Psalm 45:7), gentleness, or thoughtfullness. do you carry your own can of oil with you? are you ready with your oil of helpfulness each morning? if you offer your oil to the person nearest you, it may just lubricate the entire day for him. your oil of cheerfulness will mean more than you know to someone who is downhearted. or the oil may be a word of encouragement to a person who is full of despair. never fail to speak it, for our lives may touch others only once on the road of life, and then our paths may diverge, never to meet again. the oil of kindness has worn the sharp, hard edges off many a sin-hardened life and left it soft and pliable, ready to receive the redeeming grace of the Savior. a pleasant word is a bright ray of sunshine on a saddened heart. therefore give others the sunshine and tell Jesus the rest.
@LaurenInLA (2272)
This is such a beautiful story. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. I sometimes forget my oil can. When I do have it and use it, I think that the person who benefits most is me. It feels very good to do something nice for someone and the smile that you get in return is repayment enough. I'm going to make it a point to remember to bring my oil can with me from now on.
and i guess, the message is for both of us too. i really forget that i have to carry this oil can to others as well. to be seetled to show kindness to them, and to really be a good example to them.. thank you!
hi jing...i try to be a friendly customer in stores cause i know when i worked in food places we got a lot of angry and grumpy people. so i know what it's like to have to take a lot from a customer. i even asked my manager if there were some people we could refuse business to and he said he wished we could. so i do my best to treat people who wait on me with cheerfulness and be friendly and patient. and sadly i have a neighbor and a relative that gives them a hard time. they are so selfish. but i will not be like them.
wow, how i wish i could be one of your customers. you are certainly and definitely right! some customers are just so selfish. wanting to be the first so that they will be served first. there are a lot of people around that is so selfish. somehow, i am one of them too.. hmmm. need some oil..
@srbollar (259)
That's a pretty cool story. I always try to carry around an oil can as well. Often, a smile is all someone needs to see the love of God in their life. Imagine being able to change someone's day so easily! When you think of it that way, it's hard not to smile every second of every day. But that might scare some people. oh well! ~Jesus loves you and I do too~
when being a blessing to others, it leaves us sometimes vulnerable to others' comments about us being that close to them. it is open when criticism is always around. somehow, bringing some oil, you should put some oil too in yourself. and then carry it towards others. it may not be easy, and yet rewarding!
@Zelmarq (11503)
• Cebu City, Philippines
Thank you for sharing this nice story jing. I can do something for others in my own special way. A simple smile could only the light in a person who is feeling dark, alone and gloomy. It may only be a smile but for those who have not felt important all day long could have that great impact even for a lifetime. I try to be that oil also bringing the oil of cheerfulness in other peoples lives, though I easily snap at people also when I feel down or upset but I try to make it a point to make it les omplicated through cheerfulness and smiling. I just hope I wont look silly enough. Have a nice day jing and take care!
to be a blessing to others means forgetting yourself and yourself's desire.. it is not easy though, but rewarding. i just couldn't think of anything in my life than to serve others. though the enemy is always around testing my integrity. it is not easy facing the problems on our own. and then to serve and love and care for others. it is not really easy.. hmmm..
@savak03 (6676)
This is a beautiful story and a good reminder for all of us. I try to treat everyone with kindness and respect but sometimes I need a little oil myself. I have been blessed that there always seems to be somebody waiting with their oilcan just when I need them most.
you are right there.. and also, we need this oil for ourselves.. in this world, there are others who are not so sensitive to care for yourself and is only thinking of themselves alone. it is irritating for it to be true but it is a reality... somehow, the oil that we had would be consumed trying to understand others.. but hold on my friend. later, when it is all beeen said and done, you will have your reward. reward that is inexpressible..thanks!
@hildas (3031)
Thanks for that jingbautista. That was nice to read. I myself always carry a can with me. I like to use it when people are down. I think it is encouragement oil. I hate to see people at a low and always tell them they have done their best and at least they have tried hard. I think taking a little time somedays can really help a person and does not cost much and it also makes me fell good to know I have helped them.
@katrhina23 (1282)
Nice post jing. I always make it a point to carry my oil with me. I can always cary my oil of cheerfulness. If a person needs cheering up , I could easily give it to him. Life needs to be easy for the person. I remember being kind to each person in my new workplace. It earned respect and friendship. I have always been helpful , cheerful and friendly. That made these people realize that hey, I am a nice person too . I believe that my purpose in life is to become a "light" to others. I can always do anything for a person that needs help or just a friend to count on.
thank you too. honestly, this is a reminder for me.. lately, i had been so crude to my room mates. requiring them to be kind to me and that they need to respect me because i am their leader. but here, as i looked at it, it should be me who should change first and that i will have their respect soon.. thanks