Best gift ever given

@catdla1 (6005)
The spirit of the Holidays for me is in trying to find the perfect gift for some one. It really has less to do with spending money, although most gifts cost something. It's more in stumbling across an idea that ended up making a difference in some one's life. A few years back, my grandmother celebrated her 90th birthday, with a big family celebration. Her birthday is just a few days before Christmas. I spent tons of time walking through stores looking for something nice. It was difficult because she really didn't need any clothes, jewelry, candles, etc., but I didn't want to attend the celebration empty handed. Then I noticed some porcelan dolls. They were beautiful, and I decided to get one for her, as she lived alone. I thought it would be nice 'company' for her. When the day came for her party, I was a little nervous about giving the doll to her. I was afraid that in giving her what is really a toy, that she would feel that I thought her simple-minded, because of her age. That ended up not being the case at all. She was so happy upon receiving it, that she cried. Unknown to me, growing up during the depression, she had never ever had a doll, but always wanted one. Her family couldn't afford a useless luxury like that, it was a struggle just to keep food on the table. My grandmother held that doll all thru the rest of her party, and it became one of her most prized possessions. I felt so good giving it to her, and i think that's the best gift I've ever stumbled upson. Have you ever found the perfect goft? Tell us your story, would love to hear it!
@theonerm5 (365)
No :( I've not found the best gift ever yet.
@catdla1 (6005)
Not to worry! Sometimes these little strokes of inspiration sneak up at the oddest times, and in the most unusual places. It will happen, guaranteed. Hope you have a terrific Christmas & thanks for responding!
@bunnybon7 (31591)
• Holiday, Florida
oh i love this. i did have to go through some of your discussions but found one that matched for the holiday coming up. i love dolls and even paper dolls more. i've sent a bunch of dolls my daughter has bought me in the past back recently and explained it was because of lack of room here. but looks like i better talk to her some more cause i dont want her to get the idea i didnt love them. I cant remember if i've given the perfect gift but you just gave me a new idea. thanks this is a wonderful story and i dont think we ever get to old for that little girl/boy inside us.
@catdla1 (6005)
The older I get, the more I realize that inside all of us is a kid waiting to break out and have fun. Here's to frequent escapes!
• Marion, Kansas
Nothing comes to mind right at this moment, but I really love your discussion. It is a gift to me from you, whether you know it or not. I have known people like your grandmother, and I am thrilled that you were led to give her such a wonderful gift. That is the first reason that this is a wonderful Christmas post. The next reason this is a true gift is because the post is also focused on giving, rather than getting. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.
@catdla1 (6005)
Thank you so much! To me the spirit of Christmas has always been in the giving. The only gift I ever hope for is expressed in the looks in friends and family's faces on the times when I've been able to find the right 'something', wether it's a material item, or a gift of time (like a day spent together doing something special). I hope you have a wonderful Christmas too!