Freezing bread

@Anne18 (11036)
Does anyone know how long you can keep home baked bread in the freezer please? Well thats if I can get it to the freezer without it all being eaten!!LOL
@oldboy46 (2132)
Bought/shop bread can be frozen for up to 6 months. Possibly it will keep for a longer period of time and still be okay but that is the maximum amount of time we have kept it in our freezer before it is all used. Mostly we only buy our bread when it is on special in case of an emergency as we prefer home made bread. In general we prefer to make our own bread. Normally there is only my partner and I at home, so it is seldom that we would eat a lot of bread in a week. When we make a loaf of bread, we let it cool and once that happens, it is sliced ready for use. What we do not expect to use/eat in the next 24 hours, we put into a freezer bag and freeze. It is important to expel all the air before sealing the bag as that helps keep it fresher. The reason for slicing the bread is so that we can take out of the freezer just how much we need at any one time. Of course that might not apply to you as you might find it more convenient to remove an entire loaf at a time. The absolute maximum amount of time we have had home made bread in the freezer would be 2-3 months. We find that it tastes just as good when it is defrosted as it does when it is fresh but also that we prefer not to take a whole load out and still be using it 2 days later. Our home made bread is best eaten the day iti s made or frozen so that when we take it from the freezer it is as though it had just been baked. The reason is that we do not use any sort of preservatives in our home made bread, whereas it is part of the ingredients in shop sold bread. Good luck with the bread making project and please keep us updated on how you go with it and how much gets into the freezer.
@suzzy3 (8357)
What ever happens don't read my comment I wish I had read yours first!
@Eskimo (2317)
I always freeze the bread, and only take out enough for using at the one time. I don't know exactly how long it lasts, but sometimes Its been in the freezer for several weeks without having problems. Leaving bread out of the freezer can make it become stale very quick, especially in summer.
@crazydaisy (3899)
I always freeze the bread about 15 loafs if I can. cd
@Anne18 (11036)
Wow, doubt I will freeze that many, don't have the room. Was thinking of freezing at least six loaves. How long does 15 loaves last you and your family? There are five of us living at home, one living out but pops in a lot.
That would go really fast here it last about a 4 weeks. cd
@Anne18 (11036)
Wow.. again, how many in your house? I'm gonig to try and male loads of bread in the new year, sure I can make it cheaper than the shops, just need to make in bulk as I won't have time every day. I am making by hand as no bread machine. If you have any good recipes perhaps you would pm them to me, I want to still be healthy and make mostly brown bread
@arunmails (3013)
It depends upon the quality of the bread........
@Anne18 (11036)
Well my home made bread is going to be 10000000000000000000% quality and very good!!!!
@arunmails (3013)
Funny response...... is there anything 10000000000%???? well it may be 100% right?
@Humbug25 (12551)
Hello Anne18 By the sound of it that it won't be in there long enough for you to worry about!! I would say that it will keep for the same amount of time as shop bought bread, 3 months isn't it? Bread is never in my freezer longer than 2 weeks at a time!
@Anne18 (11036)
I was going to cook some just for the freezer
@suzzy3 (8357)
Bread can be frozen for up to month as it has a quick turn over normally ,so if you freeze fresh bread if there is a sale or special offer on you can save quite a bit.Stale bread will still be stale when you take it out of the freezer,use it for bread pudding.x
@hildas (3031)
Bread can be frozen for around three months, but if it is like my home it will be used up well before that. Baking your own bread is a great thing to do. I always stand and eat it when it comes out of the oven.
@drannhh (15240)
It depends on the kind of bread and the kind of packaging you use. As long as no air gets in and the temperature stays low, a good home made bread can freeze for a very long time without any ill effects. Store bought bread is a different matter. Friends send us a delicious loaf of hearth baked bread local to their home for Christmas from time to time, and once I tucked 1/4 loaf well wrapped in the back of the freezer and forgot it was there. Five or six months later, I pulled it out and it was as good as the day we received it, which I might add was quite good. Here is the bakery they go to get it from: http://www.serenityfarmbread.us/bread.htm
I buy locally made bread and freeze it, but mine never makes it beyond a few weeks. I keep liberating the bread until it is all gone.
@camomom (7536)
I don't know. We freeze store bought bread for about a week before using it but I don't know about home made bread.
@julise (494)
I think the maxmum is about 4days, more than that, the bread will taste weird. Oh and when you want to eat them, you should put it in microwave for several second, just to make it smells inviting hehe...
@polachicago (19073)
You can keep it up to two months. Some people keep it longer, depends on bread ingredients. I keep my bread in refrigerator,(not in freezer) for two weeks.
You can freeze bread for up to 2 months...but the trick is to put it in a large paper grocery bag and fold down the bag, so that no air gets in. The bag absorbs the moisture from the freezer so your bread stays fresher longer. I do this all the time. Two months is the maximum though, or your crust gets hard. Hope this helps.
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
I used to freeze bread. I think it can stay good for a very long time, a few months. The only thing I'd worry about is freezer burn, other than that I don't it can go bad, it's bread, not like it's meat or something.
@LifeGuru (923)
You can keep it till the other bread on your table you've finished is done. My parents keep like 2 loaves in the freezer, and one on the counter. And when it's done, they defrost one of the others and do the same thing. And it's still fresh, because the cold slows down the molecules that are used to age the bread, which has also been thought as a concept in the theory of chryogenics, besides frogs in the cold frozen in suspended animation.
@twoey68 (13651)
I've had bread in the deep freezer for over 6 months and it was fine. I made up a bunch of muffins and put them in the freezer and forgot about them. When I finally found them it had been more than 6 months. We thawed them, heated them, put some butter on them and they tasted just like they'd just been baked. [b]MERRY CHRISTMAS!!! ~~AT PEACE WITHIN~~ **STAND STRONG AND TRUST IN GOD**[/b]
I have kept bread in the freezer for almost 2 weeks and it tastes just fine when I use it.
@zandi458 (27952)
I don't know Anne if frozen bread can come out as good as freshly baked bread. I make my own home baked bread and it is completely wiped out as soon as it comes out of the oven. So there is no chance of it being put into the freezer.
@ZephyrSun (7385)
I'm not sure we never have bread in the freezer long because we go through so much of it. I was told that if you wrap the bread in a towel to defrost it will not get hard.
Hi Anne, first time I hear about popping bread into the freezer. :) We always gobble our bread up...nothing remains for the freezer. Cheers and happy mylotting