the result of the most horrible test I have had in my life

@winterose (39918)
well gang, I had to go for a colon test on monday, all day sunday I had to fast, and I had to take this horrible magnesium citrate solution that I nearly gagged on, the three pills and a suppository, I could only drink liquids. and I could have broth for lunch and supper, I ended up throwing up the medication. then my test was first thing monday I am back from the test. It was awful, I threw up the stuff last night, I was so bloated, I had a broth soup for supper, I didn't have any jello I had trouble getting the suppository in and so today they said that I would not have the test if my colon was still full so they took a picture and it was okay. it was horrible I was being x-rayed for an hour, turning in all directions, and I can hardly able to move, the table was too small for me too, I wanted to vomit on the table, then cramps hurt so bad, and even when I got home too I never want go through that awful test again, I know lots of people say they are asleep for this test not me, has anyone had it and they did not go to sleep? how was your experience with it?
@ElicBxn (60895)
Yeah, I wasn't asleep either, but I didn't have any of your problems either. I had to ask a nurse to get out of my way because I found the view on the screen interesting. I think they went easy on the meds because I had been so sick after my surgery in 1998 from the meds to knock me out. I didn't have those problems after the 05 sholder surgery or my gall bladder last summer. I think it might've been because of having 3 surgeries in about 3 months...
@winterose (39918)
it is because I am disabled and moving around causes excruciating pain for me that I had so much trouble, glad to know that you didn't
@ElicBxn (60895)
I didn't have any trouble getting myself cleaned out, I think my doc used the same method - some docs use a different method that I don't think I'd've liked as much.
@Rozie37 (15503)
• Turkmenistan
I need to have one of those teat and if what you say is a common experience, I want to be knocked out cold. But I guess if they need you to continue moving back and forth, you have to be awake.
@winterose (39918)
no it is not common I am disabled that is what made it harder for me.
@callarse1 (4793)
Hey honey! Well I haven't had that (yet). I do want to get it when the time is right, but I think they want you to get it around 50 or 60, am I right? So I have a little way to go. Yea, I had endoscopy before (similar to colonoscopy). Well, I asked them what they do exactly. They explained to me about the endoscopy, they said I COULD do it without being sedated such as if I didn't have anyone to drive me home OR if I had allergies to the medicines or some other condition. So I went with sedation (being put to sleep). I'm glad because I don't remember a thing! I was reading up about the colonoscopy, so I think I WOULD DEFINITELY get sedated for that, too! Sorry it turned out bad for you, hon! Pablo
@winterose (39918)
after 50 or if you have bowel related problems at any age, and your doctor decides which is the right test for you and if you should be sedated or not.
they didnt put you to sleep??!?! i know with the flexi sigmoid scope with me they didnt but when a full colonoscopy they should have!! i feel bad telling you it wouldnt be so bad since if you had been put to sleep it wouldnt have been.. ugh.. the magnesium didnt work on me and i had to try the pills before it worked and i was awake during the flexi and it was very crampy and i know i felt nauseated but after it was done i was fine.. next time if possible DEMAND it be to where you are put under that way your not stressing so bad in having to be awake and throw yourself into a fibro flare
@winterose (39918)
no I think I had the same test as you, not the full one, I tell you I had such a hard time moving and they wouldn't even help me, I was in just so much pain, and it continued until I got home and finally ate something.
@Pigglies (9339)
I've never had one thankfully, but my mom just had one and she was so happy that she was vegan! Apparently, if you're a vegan you only have to do that horrible diet and medication for one day. Then you can go in for the test. So 6 months before you have to have the test again, start eating a vegan diet and then you won't have to take as much medication apparently.
@winterose (39918)
you only have to do the fasting for one day regardless of whether or not you are a meat eater, I only had to stop eating anything but fluids at 12 noon of the day before the test
what i can say is Whew this is terrible. take care and hoping that all is well!
@winterose (39918)
thanks hon
@Bethany1202 (3432)
Sorry you had to experience this. I hope everything was okay with their findings, and hopefully you'll never have to experience anything like this again! I hope you're feeling better and get some rest. Have a great holiday season.
@winterose (39918)
thanks Bethany, you have a great holiday too.
@kenzie45230 (3560)
I had the test done years ago - in about...1980 - and back then they didn't put you to sleep. I had to have 2 nurses holding me down to stay still. It was horrible. But I've had 2 done in the past 4 years and they stuff they gave me they told me that it wouldn't put me entirely to sleep so that I could/would move if they needed me to, but that when I was finished I would completely forget everything that had been done. Well...they forget that I react to meds and injections differently than most or than anticipated, so I did get totally knocked out. And I don't remember a thing.
@winterose (39918)
the next time if I have to have it done again I am going to demand to be put to sleep, I can't go through this again.
@Lakota12 (42684)
My daughter did and she was so mad that they didnt put her to sleep . I havent had it done and hope I dont have too!
@winterose (39918)
It certainly isn't fun that is for sure.
Oh how awful! Yes, my dad and sister both had the colonoscopy and were put to sleep. I remember them having to drink that yucky stuff. My sister woke up during it, and felt the cramps you are talking about. My dad went through the whole thing without a hitch. My sister was very quickly put back to sleep. I wish they had thought about sparing you that and put you under. The stuff they used to put them to sleep was very mild the doctors said.
@winterose (39918)
apparently they don;t for the barium enema I read that on the net as well.
@tyc415 (5706)
I am so glad that this test is over with now and that things are ok. So sorry you had such a horrible time with it all. I am sure it would make me sick also. My daughter had the same test done and the stuff she had to drink also made her throw up. She said she was not asleep but was groggy I guess is the word to use and knew all that was going on. Did you ever get anyone to go with you?
@winterose (39918)
no I went by myself, I called the hospital first and they said I didn't have to have anyone with me, so I went by myself.
@DonnaLawson (4032)
I am so glad this it is over and done with for you now.. Sounds like you had a very rough time with it. My husband had the colonoscopy done and he didn't have that much trouble with it, he was asleep.. The worst part was drinking the horrible Citrate of Magnesia and the other thick white chalky liquid, which I hope to never have to know the name of much less take it.. He doesn't have a weak stomach but this one gagged him.. It was also bad having to waqtch him going without eating for two days, he is on different medications and after taking them, he needs to eat, but he couldn't and this made him sick to his stomach also.. Bless your heart, I will pray for your health.. You remind me very much of one of my sisters and she is going through a lot of the same things that you are going through..
@winterose (39918)
thanks hon, if I ever have to go through that again I am certainly going to ask to be put to sleep.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
I had the test, but they put me to sleep. I cannot believe that they did not sedate you.
@winterose (39918)
for the barium enema they don't they even explain it on the net,
@spoiled311 (5502)
hi winterose! oh that is horrible! yeah, i really hate tests done at the hospital that are supposed to diagnose illness. i mean, couldn't they make it easier? anyway, but that is the worst test that i have ever heard of...good that you already surpassed it. oh i hope i would not have to go through that. take care of your health winterose! God bless you! merry christmas! :-)
@winterose (39918)
It wouldn't be that bad for an able bodied person, only I am not able bodied and that was where the problem was. I had one 15 years ago, it wasn't half as hard on me then.
@Llonorra22 (1150)
oh.. That's really horrible! I hope that you'll get well soon!
@winterose (39918)
thank you hon
@CharRay7 (1549)
Hi Carol Your post made me have to come back to MyLot to respond. hehe This is terrible what you went through. I've never had a colon test before and I'm marking it my list to never have one unless I die without it. I cannot imagine something so horrible! You are in my prayers and hope you feel better in a day or so. Your friend, Char
@winterose (39918)
well hon, if it is a matter of life or die of course get the test, but you can ask to be put to sleep, If I ever have one again I am going to demand that.
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
You know this is awful to admitt but some time ago now I did read where you said you had to have this test and I didn't answer it because I will never forget this poor old lady whom I do not know or have ever seen again. I was in the hospital for someone else and this poor womman had gas so bad and she kept saying sorry. For the amount of wind she could let go in my opinion she should have had a private room with the window open and the door shut for her own dignity and she told me it was the most horrible test to have done and she'd rather die than have it again. So what was I supposed to say???? I'm glad it's over and thankfully you're OK but if these tesets are so harsh than I think they shouldn't be done unless there's a very large possibility there's a reason for the test.
@winterose (39918)
they do the tests to make sure nothing is wrong, if I ever have to have it done again, I am going to tell them to put me to sleep as I cannot move around like they want me to, I am disabled.
@bdugas (3581)
Thank you for the info, will run in the other way if they mention this, I don't do well with these kinds of things and I can't drink something so horrible. I am sorry that you had to go through this test awake, they would either knock me out, or not taking it. Just be glad it is over.
@winterose (39918)
yep I am glad it is over too but got the tube down the throat test to do next
@riyasam (16578)
i have not had this test but i have seen many who have this test.they are quite uncomfortable and many have to go for a repeat test,as the technicians say the colon was not very clear.nothing like that happened in your case and be glad,it is finally over.
@winterose (39918)
yes that test is over but I have a tube down the throat to go in January