Kids Do The Darnedest Things...

By JJ
@myklj999 (26345)
Olney, Illinois
But have you ever seen one really hold their breath until they pass out? I haven't. I've seen them hold it 'til they turn blue...this is usually followed by a loud exhalation and then they start screaming at the top of their lungs. But I've never seen one pass out from it. Can this really happen? Inquiring minds want to know.
@krfanlim (232)
Nahh, neither have i seen anyone pass-out. But unless you take unintentional suffocation, you'd see lots of pass-out's LOL!! I could hold my breath at most for about 40+ seconds. Haha. Does the time for one to hold its breath account for how fit that person is??
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
I think it has something to do with lung capacity.
@dawnald (84153)
• Shingle Springs, California
NO, but I encourage my kids to try....
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
Let us know the results on that.
Hi myklj999, I suppose it can happen but I have not heard of it either, its only silly,kids would play that game and I don't think they would their breath that long. Tamara
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
I once held my breath 'til I turned blue 'cause my wife wouldn't give me any...I still didn't get any.
Hold on, "SON! COME HERE, MIKE WANTS TO DO AN EXPERIMENT."
Nah, he didn't pass out. Well, that was a busted hypothesis!
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
Where do we take a busted hypothesis to get it fixed?
Toys R Us, it fixes everything!
@Polly289 (269)
• New Zealand
Actually, it can happen. When I was just a young one it was a fad to hold your breath until you passed out. An extremely weird feeling, if memory serves. What I can remember is hearing lots and lots of voices and then fainting. Thank goodness I got out of that stage. It could've killed me. Once I blacked out and hit my head on my dresser. Not very clever. So please, children, don't try this at home.
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
Parents, don't you try it either.
@Polly289 (269)
• New Zealand
LOL. I'd hope I've grown up enough to know better than to try anything so stupid AGAIN!!!
@Rosekitty (19435)
• San Marcos, Texas
Thankfully I've never had children like that and if they tried it i would just ignore them..never saw a blue meanie..
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
You've never watched "Yellow Submarine"?
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
I got somethin' in the mail today...thank you.
I don't think it is possible. The brain would cause you to take a deep breath before you could pass out. I am answering from e-mail, so if someone already said this, sorry.*S*
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
What if they ain't real intellygent like?
*L* Well, then I guess they are sh1t out of luck!
yes,my cousin's daughter used to do it.but i think it might have been more from hysterics than holding the breath.i have never seen a kid throw tantrums like her,and hope to never see it again. hopefully,he won't breed an even worse one.
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
hopefully,he won't breed an even worse one.
@sharra1 (6342)
I am not at all sure you can hold your breath for that long. I can't hold my breath for more than a minute max these days. Even so that is enough to leave me gasping for breath. Too old, too sick to try. I am not sure I tried it as a child either. In fact I do not know any kids who tried it.
@sharra1 (6342)
Ah yes I used to swim underwater as well. In fact I was better at that than freestyle. I had forgotten. So I could hold my breath once but not any more.
@sharra1 (6342)
I used to be like that before I gave up. I am not much better now.
@camomom (7536)
I don't think it's really possible because when you pass out your muscles relax. If your muscles relax you can't continue to hold your breath.
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
Yeah, but if you do it 'til you pass out...that's the whole thing.
@camomom (7536)
Good point
@pumpkinjam (6123)
I have heard that it can happen. Apparently my sister used to hold her breath and, as she was the first, my mum was very worried. The health visitor lady said not to worry because she could only hold her breath while she was conscious and would immediately begin to breathe again if she DID pass out. Well, anyway, I don't know if she ever did pass out by my own youngest child did like to hold his breath a lot when he was tiny but he never passed out either. I guess it could be possible but not likely because it would probably get uncomfortable before the child passed out and they would stop doing it anyway.
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
You'd think so, but I've seen kids do some weird stuff... ...no wait, that was me. Never mind.
Kids are very odd but I don't think most of them would willingly inflict such pain on themselves and tiny people in particular would start to cry if they were hurting and would, therefore, need to breathe again to do so.
@arkaf61 (10882)
I used to think that it wasn't possible, that the brain would take over as a reflex and voluntary or not the child would breathe. But when I was working at the hospital I learned that a small percentage of kids would actually hold their breathe until they pass out. That reflex doesn't kick in and they do pass out. THis doesn't normally do any specific damage, but it can be really scary for parents who might without realizing, make it happen more often - if the child craves the attention and realizes that he will get a lot of it by doing this, he/she will continue doing it, of course:)
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
Kids are pretty sneaky about stuff that will get attention.
@flowerchilde (12538)
...seems to me I heard of someone actually doing that once.. but that was waay long ago.. sometime in late childhood, early teen years.. seems as though we weren't sure at the time if it was true or just a 'rural myth'...
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
Maybe we should send it to that show "Mythbusters".
@j47lee (741)
My nephews saw their dad shaving in their washroom... so once wen their dad was not home and the mother was busy cooking.. they climbed up with a chair.. took their dad's shaver and was trying to shave each other.. one of them shaved the other's one eyebrow off.. u can imagine wen their mother came looking for them, found one of them had no eyebrows in one eye lol.... And then in school, they teach them to call 911 wen there is an emergency at home.. so just for trying it out they call 911.... and then the cops come to see if everything is ok..... another nephew did the same thing... gosh imagine u were a cop and were called like 10 times a day just that kids playing games... awww..
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
And ya can't yell at 'em 'cause they're just kids and kids do the darnedest things...
@Opal26 (17690)
Hi myklj! You know you're right! I've never once seen one kid pass out! But, with all that screaming and turning blue I sure wished some of them would have! Now don't anyone get all huffy and turn me in to the Child Abuse Police! I don't have any kids and there is a good reason for that! I do like kids, so don't go there either! I just don't like it when they scream and yell and turn blue for attention when they can't get what they want! And the parents don't make it any better! They just feed into it and let them do it! Like I said, I'm not a parent so don't get start haten' and sending me all those nasty comments now! I'm just expressing my opinion! You know the Fifth Amendment! And mylkj did ask the question!
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
That's right, I did.
@sid556 (30999)
my daughter used to hold her breath till she turned blue when she was throwing her little temper tantrums. It always scared me. My aunt who is a registered nurse told me not to worry about it. She said if they pass out..they'll start breathing unless some serious health condititon brought this on which is unlicly in a young child.
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
Yeah, that makes sense.
@sconibear (8011)
....................................................................... ................................................................................... ................................................................................... ................................................................................... ................................................................................... ................................................................................... ................................................................................... ................................................................................... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! *puff* *puff* *wheeze* *wheeze* nope.....it doesn't work.
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
Did ya get dizzy or anything? I'm looking for a cheap buzz.
I can't recall ever feeling good about doing something that I knew was going to cause me problems. I especially don't think I would feel good if I knew I was about to be arrested. I would not want to be locked up.
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
But handcuffs can be fun!
Only if you are with Mr. incredibly hot and sexy and......oh!.....Just kidding.
oh yah. I know far too well. it scared the s*hit out of me when my son did it. I freaked out! I actually took him to a neurologist to see if he was having seizures. LOL he got mad at the neurologist office with all that crap glued to his head and they got to see it first hand.... Turns out he was using it as a weapon to get what he wants... Also i think he did it get a buz cuz he's wake up and be all la di da... happy and shi*t. LOL Kids are freakin crazy. My other one uses his head as a weapon. Dont double cross that lil monster. haha
@myklj999 (26345)
• Olney, Illinois
You never really notice how hard a kids head is 'til they whap you in the nose with it.
OH definately. He gets me at least once a day. That kid has a big head too! He doesnt get headaches either i dont think. I think he might have ongoing concussions though LOL That's why he falls so much... Then again he's only 1 1/2