Why Do Old People Like To stay outside during Winter time?

[b]Just today on my way home, I noticed that a big percentage of the passengers on the bus I am riding are people on their 60s and above. I remember once my sister told me that I should observe that older people tend to stay outside more during winter season, and its quite true. I am also amazed of one lady I saw on her 60's riding a bicycle on her pair of skirt and blouse only, when in fact almost eveybody are wearing thick winter jakets and boots so as to get warm. Do you ever notice this too? And Do you ever wonder why they want to stay outside more on winter season than on summer or spring days?[/b]
i am 53 and young by any standard because I do not feel that age has cvought up with me so far. However i feel that the ehthusiasm amongst older people is more than the enthusiasm amongst the young. The young take a lot of thigns for granted while the old relish each thing that life has to offer as they know that they have to make the bet of what life has to offer. in younger days you require less effort to remain fit, but in old age you need to put in a lot of effort to achieve the same measure of results. That is why older people try harder and longer.
Hi mercuryman. Lucky you, I know some people who doesnt look like their age and I envy them for staying so fit despite of their age. You are right, a lot of young people tend to take life for granted compare to older ones. I, myself could attest to that. I am so busy everyday working as hard as I can to prepare for the future yet I neglect what life has to offer at present. Thank you so much for responding.
@winterose (39918)
no I don't in fact the statistics show they older people stay in more in the wintertime, It is cold and hard on our bones and I don't even go out in the winter unless I have to go to the doctor. Well older people do go to the doctor much more than younger people and that could be why you see them on the bus more in the winter or you are just looking at them and not how many younger people are on that same bus. In fact there may be 5 people on a bus that are older as you put it and 100 people on the same bus under 60.
Hi winterose.. Nah, 60's and above passengers were more than the younger ones when I rode that bus. Maybe that bus I took with will pass by a hospital or home for the aged, Im not quiet sure about it. Though Im thinking that people who grow up in cold countries maybe feel warm inside the house so maybe older people just wanted to go out while having a good exercise and that is walking. While younger generation on the other hand are more likely want to stay home with friends, glued on their TV, computer and nowadays WII. Thanks for responding.
@JoyfulOne (6242)
Being an older person myself, I think it has a lot to do with the fact that our Drs encourage us to be more active for the health benefits (as in the lady on the bike.) The ones on the bus may be taking the bus to go shopping, or to another destination, where they will probably get more exercise walking than they did if they stayed home. I don't know that older people stay outdoors more in the summer, maybe they're just noticed more in the winter because people believe they should be home & cozy lol. I know lots of older folks who seem to generate more heat than others, and therefore don't want to dress more warmly...or worse, maybe they can't afford more appropriate winter clothing. I know I stay in more in the summer time because I'm not allowed to be out in the direct sunshine because of the medications I'm on. Three cheers for those older folks who DO get out more, even in the winter time. It's essential to get fresh air, and to keep walking to excercise our bones and heart; they are probably healthier for it! Also, most older people aren't into the internet, Wii, gaming, etc, like a lot of younger people. At least they're not glued to a computer screen or a tv set lol.
Hi joyfulone. You are right, maybe the one I saw were on their way home from their daily walking exercise since I was also on my ride home. Speaking of the old lady on the bike, she's one of the things I admired here in Denmark and wished that Philippines could and should have too. Biking is a good exercise and maybe thats why I can see older people who are still so active and energetic in contrast to those I saw in my home country. Thank you for responding!