School lunch program. Has your financial situation changed?

@spalladino (17925)
School districts across the country are reporting an increase in the number of kids who participate in free or reduced lunch programs as the failing economy hits families hard. [i]The National School Lunch Program fed more than 30 million children in the 2006-07 school year with federal and state funds. According to the School Nutrition Association, which represents workers who provide the meals, almost 80 percent of schools surveyed by the organization are reporting an increase in the number of free lunches served this year. Crystal FitzSimons of the Food Research and Action Center in Washington said more families are signing up for free school lunches for their children as they look for ways to trim their food budgets. "One of the easiest things families can look to for support is the school nutrition program," she said. Children from families with incomes at or below 130 percent of the poverty level are eligible for free meals. Children from families with slightly higher incomes are eligible for reduced price meals, which were also being served at higher levels. The organization said an average of 425,000 more students are participating in the programs overall.[/i] The full article can be found here: http://www.dcexaminer.com/ap/?c=y&id=1254094 This is a link to the National School Lunch Program which includes links to Income Eligibility and the application process. http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Lunch/
@ZephyrSun (7385)
I think it's a great program. I live in a big city and most parts of it is very poor so the school my children attends actually makes all families fill it out. Before this school my children were in the "burbs" and I don't think I had ever seen the form sent home. Thanks for providing everyone with the information. Hope you are enjoying your "time off"
@spalladino (17925)
Our little school district sends the forms home with all students at the start of the year but it occured to me that some folks might be in a different financial situation now, like I am. I'm actually enjoying my time off so far. It looks like I qualify for medical benefits through the V.A. because my husband is totally disabled so I'm going to apply. Then I won't have to stress about not having insurance anymore. That's been a concern. I'm healthy as a horse...but I'm not a young horse.
@ZephyrSun (7385)
I know how that goes. I'm the healthy one in my family and our insurance stinks, we are "Bush babies". We have to pay so much money before our insurance kicks in, I always see that commercial where the guy says something like my insurance is like having a health care coupon. It always makes me laugh since that is what ours is like as well.
@camomom (7536)
My stepson has gotten free school lunch for 2 years now. I think it should be free anyway, they are required to go to school, they should supply lunch.
@spalladino (17925)
You know what, you have a good point camomom. Many years ago, when I was in middle school, I used to share my lunch with this girl who never seemed to have anything. She used to say that she just didn't feel like bringing lunch but I think they didn't have anything for her to bring because she lived in a very old house in a run down part of town. This was before the free lunch program so I have to wonder how many other kids went hungry all day at school.