Christmas Jam Advice

@glords (2615)
I decided to make bread and jam for my husbands work associates this year. I've never made jam myself, but I have lots of empty jars, because my sister and mother in law have made us lots of jam this year. So my question is... can I reuse the lids, or should I buy new ones? Please help me out, I'm in a jam.
@lilybug (21182)
I don't see why you could not reuse them as long as they are really clean. I would probably boil them in some water to sterilize them since you are giving them as gifts. If you are worried about it at all I am sure the lids are not that much money.
@glords (2615)
I looked at the lids in the grocery store, and they were pretty inexpensive, my only problem is that the ones in the grocery store are so... well...not cute. The ones my sister gave me are really cute with pictures of fruit on top. I think I'll give the boiling a try. Do you have any advice of where to buy cute lids?
@lilybug (21182)
You might try Walmart. The Walmart around here had several different types of canning jars and lids when I saw them several months ago. I am not sure if they keep them year round or if it is a seasonal thing. Some of the jars were really cute, but I don't recall the lids.
@lilybug (21182)
I looked online at walmart.com and they have the jars with the lids, but not just the lids. They are not available in store, but you can do site to store on them. Not in time for you to use them though I am sure. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8033242
@deebomb (15347)
When I made jams and jellies years ago we would also seal the jam and jelly with paraffin wax. The Jam and jelly does need to be sealed and those lids that have been already used will not seal properly. So if you want to reuse them put some melted paraffin wax in the jars when the jam is still hot to seal them. Those used lids will not reseal properly. The wax will go to the bottom but will raise before the jam sets.
@deebomb (15347)
That is the way my grandmother did it too. And when we got the wax out of the jar we would then chew on it like gum.
@glords (2615)
Thank you, that is a great idea. I was just talking about this with my father in law. He remembers his mother using the wax, perhaps he can show me how it was done.
@deebomb (15347)
It is very simple. You need to melt the wax in a double boiler or put a smaller pan into a larger one with water in the bottom pan and the wax in the upper pan or just melt it very slowly or it can catch fire. You could also melt the wax in a can set in a pot of water. When you have put the jam in the jars leave about an extra 1/2 inch and add the wax at that time. It will spread out and touch the edges of the jar and I would put a piece of string in jar before adding the wax to make it easier to remove the wax when the recipient wants to remove the wax. Then put on the used lids
@Charente (113)
There's absolutely no problem re-using the lids you already have so long as they are scrupulously clean. I put mine in the dishwasher and they are absolutely fine. It's very thoughtful of you to do something like that for your husband's work associates, particularly as you have never done it before. Good luck.
@glords (2615)
Hurray! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I'm excited to make jam, I've seen my sister do it, but I've never attempted it myself. We have lots of strawberries in the freezer and I've been making bread all week, so this will be perfect. I'll tie a big red bow around the bread and wa-la Christmas is taken care of.
@camomom (7537)
I'm sorry, I honestly don't know the answer to this, I don't see why you couldn't use them again.
@glords (2615)
I bought mostly new ones, but when I ran out I used the best looking old ones and they seemed to by just fine. It took a little longer for them to seal though. Thanks for trying to answer, I appreciate it.
@camomom (7537)
I'm glad things worked out for you. You're welcome.
@ladynetz (968)
Of course you can reuse the lids. Just make sure they are clean, no rust or any other dirt on. I see no reason why not. Good luck with the jam.
@glords (2615)
Thank you for posting, I appreciate the advice.
@fasttalker (2798)
What a great idea. You can reuse the lids only if the seal isn't damaged. You can usually tell by looking if the rubbery seal is knicked or loose ar anything. If they are sorry you cant reuse that. You can always reuse the rings. The lids are relatively cheap and Big Lots around here has the fruit printed ones. If not there you can check about any hardware store and they should have them. Good Luck!
@glords (2615)
Cool, I'll go check out big lots today. Thanks so much for the tip.