Mahlab

@Modestah (11192)
Okay - does anyone know this spice? I bought a 2 ounce jar of it for 49cents... I figured at that price, why not? It is little yellowish kernals that have a bitter taste and a bit of an anise or licorise flavor and a hint of nuttiness. I have been eatting them whole from the jar, heh. Anyhow - does anyone know how I should use this spice? should it be ground to a flour, chopped or left whole? what kind of dishes do I use it in? Is it used ontop of breads like poppy or sesame seeds are used? thanks for any direction you can give.
@jillhill (37383)
I have never heard of it and will be curious to find out what you do with it....where did you ever find something so unusual?
@Modestah (11192)
jill I go to a discount grocery (mennonite owned) that sells a lot of unusual items such as this. They sell mistocks, overstocks and damaged label items.... as well as commodities from closed businesses (health food stores / specialty markets)
I've never heard of that spice, and I don't think I've ever seen it in any stores. But maybe I just wasn't looking for it and they did have it.
@Modestah (11192)
I think it must be middle eastern or mediteranian looking at the label. so maybe only at specialty shops in the us?
It is used for baking, to make a spice cookie called Ma'mool, a holiday cookie in the Middle east. You would generally grind or finely chop it. Here is a page with a recipe using it. http://www.cookieboard.com/Home%20Pages/Recipe%20Pates/Recipes4.html Lucky you!