Is competition a good or bad thing?

Starting out, I think competition sucks and is a bad thing! Why? Because you can you spend hours working on something and someone else can just come out from underneath and start eating you out! Just curious to find out what others are wondering... do you think competition is good or bad?
@quinnkl (1668)
Though most of my friends and family disagree with me, I am not fond of competition. I see the good aspects. I see why being competitive in sports or in school can be good for kids. But when it is done under such "cut-throat" ways, it is horrible. And that seems to be the way adults do things these days. And it seems to be that way in sports to. Be the best or you are nothing. Do the work and have someone take it from you and offer it as theirs. Etc ETC ETC!! And not everyone is this way, but so many more seem to be. So, I have never been fond of competition or been very competitive. I think seeing what it was doing to people as I grew up - making winning more important than anything and if you didn't win being made to think you were nothing and the hard work you put in meant nothing - showed me that it just wasn't worth it to me.:-(
@deebomb (15322)
I think that competition is a good thing. It pushes us to do better. if it weren't for competition we would still be living in caves. Competition encourages us to strive harder to do better. Some times we win and sometimes we lose. That is just part of life. Schools have taken competition out of the sports for younger kids and they are rewarded regardless of how well or how bad they do. They don't learn to try harder and they don't learn how to loose. I Hope that the next time you do better
@rusty2rusty (6765)
• Defiance, Ohio
I don't like a lot of competition as I am older now and have nothing to prove. But I think the right competition is good and can be healthy for younger folks and kids. Such as it teaches kids to try their best and give it their all. If we had no competition, how would we motive our kids to do better? I see competition as a way to teach ourselves to push ourselves further. having said that i will say all competition i snot healthy.
@deserve40 (1642)
Well, every coin has two sides. Competition is not an exception. I personally believe that competition is good almost all the fields. If there is no competition, then the chances of improvement are less. Only one person is doing something so he/she does not know that others can do better and so the same work is continued without any improvement. Competition is the way of life and we should accept it without getting worried about the failure or thinking the somebody else will go ahead of you in the competition.
@messageme (2821)
I think competition is a good thing it makes people work harder for what they want and usually they do there best. If there is no competition they may not do there best because there is no reason too. If someone is trying to beat you then you want to be the better of the two.
@lilaclady (28238)
I think it is a good thing, it pushes people to do better, yes it is sad when you are the loser but it is that feeling you get when you win that makes you do better, i think people would settle for just good enough if it wasn't for competition and the need to to do better to be the best.
Hi friend coolmailraj, I think competition must be there to give you a stimulus for growth. It makes you ready to achieve more when you see that someone is doing it. But it turns out to be a bad thing when people resort to unfair means either to succeed or to push someone backward and that must be avoided at any cost. If there was no competition most of the good things would not have happened..i think. Happy mylotting
@rcfranz (180)
its a way to motivate us to become better,specially in business world...competition is a way for them to make there job better...so, its a good thing!
@suzzy3 (8357)
Life is a competition.Not everything in life has to be like playing with the kids or friends because lets face it no one cares who wins and it is fun and enjoyable.At work it is different you have to be a bit competative.At school you all try to be the best looking girl with the best boyfriend and sports day of course.We would have no olympic games winners without competition I suppose it is the way you interprite is the thing that matters,so I do agree with out in a way.