Do you enjoy reading famous novels?

Guangzhou, China
There are many famous novels but I wonder whether you understand them. Frankly, I don't understand and therefore I am not very interested in reading such kind of novels. Such as Red and Black, I feel bored to just read the beginning. How about you?
@4mymak (1796)
i used to love to read - i had a lot of time back then.. but nowadays - i dont get to read anymore.. if there is a good book/novel out there - i just hope that they will turn it into a movie or drama, so i can just simply watch it..
Reading is a good habit
@ahgong (10066)
For novels, usually the first few chapters are very boring. Cos this are the few chapters where the author gets the chance to introduce the characters in the book. It is also where they author sets the mood for the rest of the book. Once the first few chapters are done, the rest of the book would be much easier to digest.
Perhaps you are right. But at least you have to patient to keep reading so that you may find it interesting.
@ahgong (10066)
well, sometimes it takes me weeks, even months to finish the first few chapters. Then when the pace of the story picks up, it becomes like an addiction. Must finish the story otherwise cannot put the book down. Weird habit of mine when reading novels.
@Roseo8 (2947)
hi youless,when I was a student I was a voracious reader,and used to read the latest novels and thrillers with great fervour.But for the past few years my reading habit has slowed down,due to various reasons,and unfortunately I dont read much these days....
In the past I tended to read science fiction books
@Roseo8 (2947)
Me too youless.....but now a days I dont feel like any serious reading.....
@kalav56 (11503)
I have very specific tastes and so I will read a novel if it suits my taste.Many times they are famous as such but I do not read a novel because it is a famous one. For example, I do not fancy science fiction and so I have not read any of these or even the modern many fancied ones. I do not like black magic. or even ghost stories and I would not read them even if they are the best of the bestsellers.
Thanks for your response.
The only times I enjoy reading a book is if it's a book that has been reviewed and gotten great reviews. So to answer your question, I love reading famous novels. They always hit you differently then books that are never reviewed and can be picked up in a dusty part of the library.
Usually the popular books won't be so boring
@wayz12 (2059)
I'm curious by what you mean by "famous" novels. Are you referring to popular ones at the moment, like a bestseller? Are you referring to the "classics", like books that have withstood the test of time and people are still reading? I love to read, and most of the books I read are novels. I'm pretty much into fiction, and is open to almost any genre. Currently though my addiction is with paranormal romance novels. These are romance stories with fantasy elements, and it has growing niche in the romance genre.
You are right. I think classical novels will be much more suitable.
well yeah soetiems btu most of the times they have been disappointments i mean ppl say too many good theings abt them and then u expect too much out of them! happy lotting and have a nice day!
Thanks for your response.
@wolfie34 (26793)
I don't to be honest, famous or classic novels do not interest me in the slightest, I guess the only famous novel I have read and actually enjoyed was The Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, I love detective novels mainly and they are not that famous the individual authors like Ian Rankin, I also love Martina Cole's books as well about the East end of London. I like to be able to escape into a novel and I love fantasy too, I can't do this with famous novels which as you say tend to be complicated and written sometimes in Olde English!
I think it will be much more difficult for me to understand it
@sweetyethot (1738)
i like reading famous books.they have reasons for being famous.so i like to explore the book ,and love to share our opinion about the books, not face to face.i dont remember whether i've read Red and Black or not.but im sure i havent read the original one.
If Red And Black is so good, you should remember it. If not, perhaps it's not so good anyway
@kunking (1116)
hi,youless! i've read some famous novels before especially suspense novel..those big famous novels seem a little boring to me including Red and Black that u mentioned..i haven't read all the big 4 Chinese famous novel yet..haha..i wonder whether u begin to read those big 4 for u little son..my parents didn't force me to read them at all..
Actually I only like two Chinese famous novels as The Monkey and Three Kingdoms. Shui Hu is OK but not that good in my opinion. As to the last one, I don't understand it and I don't like it. In fact I think the last novel is like a group of girls' gossip
@williamjisir (22903)
Hello youless. I used to read a lot of famous novels or works at college years as we were recommended to read as students. In fact, I read a lot of them because I was interested in reading them, but not now. I have not read any one of them for about more than than ten years. I still miss those days being a student. Have a good time, youless.
I know you have a good command of the literature
LOL!! Well, just because a novel is 'famous" doesn't mean we have to enjoy it. I have been bored to tears by some of the award winning novels out there. :) Cheers and happy mylotting
You are right
@makingpots (11922)
I know what you mean. Some famous novels I feel compelled to read but then I try them and it feels like walking through mud just trying to get through them. It happened to me recently when I tried to read Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. All I wanted was to see the last page of that novel.
My friend told me that Pride and Prejudice is a good book but I haven't read it yet.
Some I can not understand, but some are alright. I don't understand a word of Shakespreare, and I got really lousy marks on Shakespeare assignments when I was in highschool. I am currently reading Anna Karenina by Tolstoy, and it's not a bad book at all. It's not that hard to understand either.
Actually lately I watched the movie Anna Karenina but it's just so so. I don't understand why it is one of the world famous books It is sad that Anna's ending like that.