Is using unprotected wireless illegal?

New Zealand
I'm not, but my sister is using the neighbors unprotected wireless setup. I have said to my mother that it is illegal, but she doesn't agree. Can anyone confirm it is free? In case it matters, we live in New Zealand.
@vanonas (950)
I don't think it's illegal because there's no password on it. If someone doesn't want you to use their internet then they're put a lock on it.
• Mexico
well in mexico yes because it supposed to be like stealing but a lot of people do it but i don't know the laws on your country so i don't knows
@suruchi86 (1873)
I think, if it is not password protected then it should be a free for all network. Therefore, there could not be any harm in using it.
@msmargo (362)
It is legal, not ethical. I know that I don't have a password on my signal because my peace, love and granola bf wanted to supply the neighborhood. Now that he knows every guy and his sister that do not pay for cable are using our signal and slowing down our use, he wants the password. We are the only signal in the neighborhood without a password. That is about to change.
@rosdimy (3936)
Using unprotected wireless can be argued as legal because there is no illegal activity done before getting access to it. In my country it is legal and there are several free wifi hot spots where anyone can latch into. What should be looked at is the ethical side of it. Do the neighbours know? They may dislike the idea of someone getting into their family network but do not know to set the firewall up. Even if they do not mind what are your sister's Internet activities? I have neighbours who used to piggy back on my home wireless network. It started with one and this person was considerate enough to limit his/her activities on the Internet. Even though no permission was asked I let him/her in. The other neighbours knew about it. They entered the network without permission and hogged the bandwidth. Several hints with no change in Internet behaviour so I blocked all of them. The least that she should do is ask for permission. all the best, rosdimy
@barehugs (8986)
Yes, good for your sister! If she can use unprotected internet she is very lucky. The neighbors use mine all the time and its ok with me. Who cares, I don't. The people who have unprotected internet can block it if they like, otherwise anyone can use it. Go for it and God Bless!
@djonghs (560)
Off course it is illegal, it just like stealing from some one, unless your neighbors has announce to your neighborhood that his/her wireless are free to use. Stealing a band with is just like stealing a water directly from the main distribution pipe. Maybe no one unaware, but in the end that action will cost some one to suffered. BR
As long as they have an unlimited amount of surf time a month than they may never even know that someone else is using it. If they were very worried about someone using it than I would think that would have put a password on it so no one else could use it. I have never heard of anyone getting in trouble over using someone else's wireless connection so she should be alright but if I was her I would try and get my own.