Stop the madness of wasteful paper consumption

Paper pile - Despite advances in digital technology we have become careless in our use of paper and too often take it for granted.
@stvasile (7317)
Romania
Dear friends,Around the world we use around 1 million tonnes of paper every day, with half of the trees cut down commercially ending up in paper products. Yet much of this paper use is wasteful and unnecessary. Take action now and help stop the madness of wasteful paper consumption Expanding production and harvesting of pulp wood for paper threatens some of the last remaining natural forests, and the people and wildlife that depend on them. Paper production and consumption also create significant climate change emissions. But there is a lot you can do as an individual to reduce your paper consumption. From taking simple actions such as printing double sided to buying recycled paper you can make a real difference. And not only will this help save the planet, but it will also save you money at the same time!Take the pledge today and start saving paper http://passport.panda.org/campaigns/action_commitment.cfm?uCampaignId=1861&uActionId=2681
@camomom (7536)
I already do the two sided printing. I can't afford the recycled paper, otherwise I'd buy it. I also call companies that send me junk mail and tell them to take me off of their lists. I use junk paper for my kids to color or draw on or use them as scrap paper.
@camomom (7536)
I would recycle paper if there were a place to take it in my area. I've been trying to find someplace for about 6 months now.
@stvasile (7317)
I know how it feels like to want to recycle paper and not have a place to leave it for recycling... It's a good thing that you care about not wasting paper and you do all that you can to save it. If we'd have more people thinking like that, many things could be done...
@camomom (7536)
Very true...
@jess368 (3368)
Thank you! I am so happy people are concerned about issues like these. Where can I buy recycled paper?
@stvasile (7317)
In my country, I don't think anyone bothers to make recycled paper available...
@wheel416 (1019)
What a great reminder for us all, especially at this time of year. I cringe when I go into a store this time of year and see and endless rows of wrapping paper, all dyed, some even have a foil overlay which is not recyclable. Many people think, that because wrapping paper looks and feels similar to newsprint that it may be recycled. This is not always the case. A lot of factors go to determining whether or not paper can be recycled. It is my understanding that most of the wrapping paper sold an North America (Canada and the United States) is in fact not recyclable. I just cringe when I think of all of the paper that will be thrown away on Christmas morning, after only seconds of unwrapping. Instead, how about using some of your children's artwork and craft projects to wrap your Christmas gifts this year. Have your children decorate and paint some newsprint or keep the Saturday comics for wrappping gifts in. I am sure if we choose to consume a little less our environment will thank us greatly!
@stvasile (7317)
Not to mention kids actually like decorating and painting and "making up" some old paper like that will means some extra fun for them too!
@Foxfire1875 (2011)
I try and always buy recyled wrapping paper and we have on street paper banks, so there is no excuse. They are gradually expanding the pick up of recyclable materials here and I requested as soon as I received the letter. Sadly there are far too many people who just can't be bothered,em]sad[/em]as there is only about 10oxes out, which considering that each block has about 11lats and there is about 22 is pretty poor.
@stvasile (7317)
It's a good thing they are expanding recyclable materials pick-up, because where I live there is no such thing. I kept on saving used paper in one of my closets, and I was extremely happy when I heard of an NGO that was picking up paper for recycling! I carried about 12 kg of paper to those receiving points they created. Unfortunately it was only a 3-day collection of waste paper... I hope they'll do it again next year!
That's not good. We've had recycling points at supermarket car parks for a good few years and then they started putting paper and packaging bins on the streets and the latest is a pick up of paper, bottles and cans. I have to get up early and get the box down before 8 am but I don't mind as it's difficult for me to get to a bottle recycling bin. I don't think I could have done what you done so good on you for making the effort, if only there was more people doing that the world would be a much better place.
Yeah, it's advisalbe for to take some measures. Use e-cards instead of common cards. Use e-mails more. Use e-documents more. To be a volunteer of World Wildlife Fund. http://www.wwf.org
@stvasile (7317)
I am a member of WWF, but for sending e-cards, another very good website is care2.com
@elitess (5072)
• Ipswich, England
Hello Vasile! I took the commitment a while back and now i have the option of buying recycled paper for personal use. I also now have where to recycle the paper in Bucharest (for free): Lidl, Auchan but I will take them to WWF Romania.
@ronaldinu (12440)
• Malta
I do agree with you. We must striver harder to have paperless offices. We should be aware of the wasteful paper consumption and that we should recycle paper. We have recycle bins for paper in our school. We are also trying to educate our children by encouraging them to make more use of it.
@cripfemme (7715)
I totally agree with you. I have been on a paper diet since the first of the year. I vow to only use one tree, which is 5,000 sheets on average, for my personal consumption. The average American uses five trees, which I think is insane. So far for the entire year I have used 162 sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. Granted I am not counting things like toilet paper, because that's just disgusting and I'm not counting junk mail unless I request it, which I guess doesn't make it junk, but so far that's only 3.22% of a tree. I don't imagine how the average person uses five trees. I don't even think I'll use one.