He discovered one of his gifts.

Hubby and I did a bit more shopping today. We went to the Disney store, where they had some great deals, I love the prices in that store, rather reasonable. Anyways, I found this Phineas and Ferb t shirt for $5. My kids love that show, so I decided to buy this shirt for my 6 year old son. I also got a few other things. Let me tell you, the shirt was a fiasco because they over charged me, so after I'd already paid for it I had to get them to refund the money they over charged me. Anyways, because of all this, the shirt was on the top of the bag. We got home from the mall with only 15 minutes to spare until we had to be to my daughter's school for her dance preview. So I grabbed the bag and quickly ran it inside to hide it with the rest of the gifts, and off we went. After the dance preview my husband packed our boys into the car while I waited for my daughter to change. When I got to the car my husband handed me the shirt. He said it had been left in the car, must have fallen out of the bag. My son whom the shirt was intended for saw it and asked "Dad, who's this Phineas and Ferb shirt for?". So of course now we're both panicking. You have no idea how much my son would love this shirt, but what do we do now? If we give it to him after he's seen it, that could blow the whole Santa thing right out of the water. We had thought of not giving it to him as a Christmas gift, but give it to him now, or after Christmas instead. We've also thought of pretending it's for someone else, then pretend like Santa got him the same shirt for Christmas. I could also give it to him on Christmas from us, but then all the other kids would have to get a gift from us too, and all their stuff is already wrapped and tagged as From Santa. What a dilemma! What would you do? Has this ever happened to you?
@GreenMoo (11842)
I think I'd put it by as a gift for another occassion, perhaps his birthday if it's not too far away. But if it's likely to be too small by then, then I'd go with the option of saying it's for someone else then Santa being really clever and choosing him one just the same. I'm guessing that at 6 your son probably has his suspicions about Santa's identity already, but it would be a shame if he were to spoil the illusion for the younger ones.
Well, the younger ones are still too young. The next in age after him is the 2 and a half year old, so he doesn't completely understand the Santa situation, and he wouldn't understand if told Santa doesn't exist.
@lilybug (21182)
Oops! My son always got gifts from me and gifts from Santa, so it would not have been a problem here. Since you already have all the other gifts wrapped I would say go ahead and give it to him now if you think the other kids won't be upset about him getting something and them not.
No, they won't be, we do that sometimes. Usually only when they need something. My daughter just got new ballet shoes because hers had a hole in them, but she's not getting her jazz shoes until Christmas. But since she had her preview tonight she had to have some sort of shoes. With 5 kids I can't always get them all something just because one child needs something, you know what I mean. So they're used to it, and they're not the jealous type at all.