Blagojevich: "I Will Fight This Thing Every Step of the Way!"

@anniepa (27242)
Following is the transcript of Governor Rod Blagojevich's statement to the press: OK. Thank you very much. I'm here to tell you right off the bat that I am not guilty of any criminal wrongdoing, that I intend to stay on the job, and I will fight this thing every step of the way. I will fight. I will fight. I will fight until I take my last breath. I have done nothing wrong, and I'm not going to quit a job the people hired me to do because of false accusations and a political lynch mob. Now, that's what I'm going to do. Let me tell you what I'm not going to do. I'm not going to do what my accusers and political enemies have been doing, and that is talk about this case in 30-second sound bites on "Meet the Press" or on the T.V. news. Now, I'm dying to answer these charges. I am dying to show you how innocent I am. And I want to assure everyone who's here, and everyone who's listening, that I intend to answer every allegation that comes my way. However, I intend to answer them in the appropriate forum -- in a court of law. And when I do, I am absolutely certain that I will be vindicated. Rudyard Kipling wrote, If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you; if you can trust yourself when all men doubt you and make allowance for their doubting, too; if you can wait and not be tired by waiting; or being lied about, don't deal in lies; or being hated, don't give way to hating. Now, I know there are some powerful forces arrayed against me. It's kind of lonely right now. But I have on my side the most powerful ally there is, and it's the truth. And besides, I have the personal knowledge that I have not done anything wrong. To the people of Illinois, I ask that they wait and be patient, sit back and take a deep breath, and please reserve judgment. Afford me the same rights that you and your children have. The presumption of innocence. The right to defend yourself. The right to your day in court. The same rights that you would expect for yourselves. And one last thing: To all of those -- to those of you who have expressed your support to Patti and me during this difficult time, I'd like to thank you for your thoughts; I'd like to thank you for your prayers; and I'd like to thank you for your good wishes. Patti and I cannot express to you how grateful we are for your kindness. Merry Christmas. Happy holidays. You can watch it here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/28316774#28316774 Is this guy for real? This was one of the rare times when I was rendered speechless. He showed no signs whatsoever of shame, remorse, regret...just confidence and cockiness! If someone had just happened to see him give his statement without having known anything else that was going on they'd never imagine the hot water he's in. However, WHAT IF he gets the last laugh? What if the prosecutor jumped the gun with his arrest and ends up not really having enough on him to make it stick? After all, as far as we know all they have is him talking about getting something for Obama's Senate seat. No money has changed hands that we know of or anything else like that. Is that why he looked like the cat that ate the canary? What's your opinion? Annie
I saw this on TV and he certainly did not look, sound or act worried. I think we need to hear what was actually said on these taped calls. So far all I have heard is what the authorities interpretation of what was said.
@anniepa (27242)
That and a lot of bleeps...lol! Annie
Yes and from some of the bleeped recordings I heard his wife has also quite a repertoire of expletives!!! Real "classy" couple!!! Just shows you can find white trash even in mansions..
@anniepa (27242)
Thanks to you both! My daughter happens to live in a trailer park - a very NICE trailer park, might I add - and while there is some "white trash" there, there are also lots of very nice families there as well. Annie
@MntlWard (880)
Isn't it a crime to solicit a bribe? If not, kennyrose may have a point that if he hadn't actually made a deal for the Senate seat yet, he may not be found guilty.
@anniepa (27242)
I'm really not sure how that works legally but I thought Rose was saying he's definitely guilty even if no money has changed hands. To my legally-uneducated eye he sure looks guilty just from what they read from the transcripts that he'd said but so-called legal experts on the news have said otherwise. Annie
@MntlWard (880)
Oops! My mistake! I read the first few words of Rose's post, and I misunderstood them. Then the idea that he just might not be guilty until he actually takes money got me to thinking, and I didn't read the rest of the post.
@anniepa (27242)
That's true, if they obtained those tapes illegally they won't be permissible no matter how damning they may be. We also have to remember we're all presumed innocent until prove guilty. Even d1ckheads like this guy...lol! Annie
This guy is certainly a piece of work. I am not going to say what kind of piece but I am sure you can figure it out. He is not going to leave unless they make him. HE really thinks he can skate through this and keep his office. I can not believe this. He is an arrogant fool. I hope the FBI nails him to the wall and he gets major jail time. Also they need to impeach the heck out of him as soon as possible. Politicans like this make me absolutely sick. If worse comes to worse and he gets away with all this with his job and no jail time than I hope the voters get rid of him in the next election.
@anniepa (27242)
It's his second term so I don't think he can serve another term as governor. I could be wrong but I know my state has a two term limit and I think most others do. Annie
I would not say that. It just means the people running against him were worse. A lot of times people have to vote for the lesser of the evils. That does not make him good or even decent. Just the lesser of the bad guys which is sad. That or he got more money to run his elections with. He who raises and spend the most money in an election usually wins.
@anniepa (27242)
"That or he got more money to run his elections with. He who raises and spend the most money in an election usually wins." Sad but true and I wish there were something we could do to change that! It's also sad if there really are a lot of people who will bother to vote for the "lesser of two evils". Annie
I am just wondering if we all are a bit naive? What would make him think that selling the Senate seat was even possible? Seems to me like this sort of thing may happen more often than any of us care to think about. I have not followed this nor do I know anything about the man, however wouldnt it be funny if he actually were innocent? Is it possible, I am really asking here because like I said I have not followed this at all.
@anniepa (27242)
That really WOULD be something if he were innocent, wouldn't it? Maybe since this is his first opportunity to appoint a Senate replacement he thought it was acceptable to "sell it" to the highest bidder. Power can make people pretty arrogant, after all. Annie
@iriscot (1290)
I am from downstate in Illinois and we thought he was a bad choice as governor and figured that he had no chance to win his second term as governor. Downstaters have had to put up with him even though he wasn't our choice. Most downstaters would like to see Cook County and Chicago disconnected from the state and they can go their own way. The governor has done nothing for the communities downstate and we wanted to see him defeated in the last election. No money has come our way for roads, sewer lines, water improvements, etc. The downstate counties and cities have been on their own. We had to put up with Ryan who was a crook and then Blogo comes along, it's just been Chicago politics for years and it seems that those north of Springfield are all they care about. Just my opinion, and the sooner he is out of office the better!
@Rosekitty (19443)
• San Marcos, Texas
This is going to be a very interesting item to watch and see how it all turns out..I'm very glad i don't have to have him as my Governor like Michael..lol..but then i had Bush as mine before he became President..lol..what a trade that would be..lol..
@anniepa (27242)
We're quite happy to give Bush back to you now...lol! Annie
@iriscot (1290)
It would be a lot easier on him if he would just "step down" and resign. Those in Illinois have know about some of his dealings for some time. By fighting it he is just making it harder for the rest of the good democrats in Springfield and those who represent Illinois in Washington. Maybe he thinks it will all "go away" but I don't think so. To start with the republicans won't let it, they will hammer away at him until he is either impeached or resigns. The repubs want to have a new election for the senate seat and that would be wrong, a democrat was elected to that office and a democrat should be chosen to fill the seat.
@anniepa (27242)
Just today Blagojevich appointed former Illinois Attorney General Roland Burris to the seat but the Senate Democrats and just now President-Elect Obama have both denounced this appointment. Not against the appointee himself but against the governor who is under such a cloud regarding this very seat making the appointment. It doesn't appear this appointment will stick. Again, both the Senators and Obama have urged Blago to resign so his successor can make the appointment. Annie
@Bd200789 (2994)
I was speechless, too. He did seem really sure of himself, and like you said, talking about doing something doesn't necessarily mean you will do it.
@anniepa (27242)
It looks like he's going to hang on until the bitter end which means the Senate seat vacated by Obama will likely stay vacant for some time. Annie
@ZephyrSun (7385)
What an idiot...Some people are so stupid, how can he not think that he is going to jail?! I'm just wondering, are there any smart politicans out there? lol
@anniepa (27242)
I'm not sure how many smart politicians there are, if any, but this guy has got to be the goofiest one! Annie