Latest update on my mother

@jerzgirl (8013)
Gloucester City, New Jersey
Mom's coming home tomorrow or Monday. Hospice is coming today to set up her bedroom for her arrival. She'll have a hospital bed and a bipap machine and a nurse will be coming 2-3 times a week to manage her care. I'll be given medicines to also help manage her pain while they're gone. Basically, it'd countdown time, although I've been told that she could rally and have a stretch of good. But, her lungs are too far damaged as is her heart. This isn't what I want for her. I wish to God she'd stopped smoking LONG before they diagnosed emphysema. But, she's was diagnosed 20 years ago. How many live 20 years with emphysema? She's a very strong woman who outlived the odds. This is not the end I wanted for her. I know damned well this isn't the end she wanted. I still wish she'd just waited for me to get her walker out!! Might not have made a difference, but then again, she wouldn't have damaged ribs preventing her from breathing more deeply.
@Paula1966 (1102)
Best wishes for you and your mom, jerz. I hope things go as good as possible.
{{Jerz}} don't beat yourself up on all the what if's...I think its amazing that she is the age she is considering all of her health problems , yeah for some one to be diagnosed with emphysema and to have had it all these many years is quite remarkable really; I'm glad that Hospice is coming today and by now surely its all set up for you at the house, I just didn't have time to answer you earlier this morning; sorry; busy busy with only days away til Xmas...and was busy putting some thoughts onto a page/lens I'm doing on squidoo..(sigh)! Not nearly done with it... Tell your Momma hello from me again, did you guys get your cards yet?? I keep forgetting to ask you in email DUH!!! Still keeping you and Your Mother in my thoughts and prayers; Hang in there girl!!!
I'm so sorry. It is quite remarkable that she has lived with emphysema that long. Hospice is going to be called in for my grandfather very soon. I just didn't want to think about it, but I know it is coming. And he is my grandfather, so I can't even imagine what it is like to actually go through with it all if it were my own mother.
@iriscot (1290)
Hospice is a great organization and they will make your mother as comfortable as possible. I lost a cousin a few years back, she had the same disease as your mother and she never did give up smoking. I think that smoking really spread during and after WWII. When I was in service, we would take a break from a march or some other duty and it was always time to light one up "smoke em if you got em" the drill Sgt would say. Thank heaven my boys came home from school one day and asked be to stop smoking, it is a terrible habit. I see a lot of people suffering from lung cancer because of smoking when I go to the chemo treatment center. She will be made as comfortable as possible by the Hospice workers. When the time comes we must remember that she is going to a better place and will be with out Lord.
@tyc415 (5706)
I am so happy to hear that your mother will be coming home and I know she is excited too. Please don't knock yourself around about the walker and the what if's.
@leenie50 (3992)
Hi Honey, I know how hard it is for you and your Mom. My Mother went through the same thing with lung cancer. I wasn't here to go through it with her but a couple of years later, I brought my husband home and like you I ended up bringing him home from the hospital to die. At first I was afraid I couldn't handle it at home but then I realized if he was going to die that it would be far better for him and the rest of the family to have him at home. I'm so sorry for your pain. You need to stop blaming yourself for her accident. You can't control her, she has a mind of her own. Just remember, you are doing a great job and we are here to help you through this. We get our strength from our Mothers. As hard headed as they can be, so are we. Be strong Sweetie. Your Moms time of rest will come soon I hope for her sake, and when it does we will be here for you. God Bless you Jerzi. Hugssssssss leenie
@leenie50 (3992)
Hey Plunk, What you are saying makes sense. It makes me think of some of the times I wanted to smack my poor husband because he wouldn't be patient. So, as always, you are most likely right. But I expect nothing less from you friend. leenie
@leenie50 (3992)
By the way Plunk, What's with the new avatar? Are you revisiting your younger(much younger)days? Or have you never left them behind? Too cute!! leenie
@leenie50 (3992)
Plunk, You took me by surprise. At first I thought it was Jerzi responding and I was completely surprized! I was so glad it was you, you knucklehead! Age? What age? You're still just a baby, and I won't comment on myself. I hope everything is going ok for Jerzi. We haven't heard a word. I know how busy she is. We may not hear anything for some time. leenie
@piya84 (2591)
jerz pl dont blame on urself.Sometime it just destiny.I wil pray for ur mom.Be strong for her..god bless u
sometimes they do rally,my grandma was on a machine for awhile not for emphysema but for fluid from pnuemonia.surprisingly,she did get stronger. i think she was getting a supplimental steroid of some kind for the lungs. best to just make her comfortable as possible. i'm sorry to hear about this jerz.