MartinezShopper's MyLot Payout Crippled Due To Paypal Hacking!

To hack or not to hack, that is the question... - Well, I hope you choose NOT to hack, but someone hacked my Paypal account and it was months of stress before getting everything straightened out and back to normal.
Has anything like this ever happened to you, with Paypal or another program? Someone hacked into my Paypal a few months ago. I got an email stating that someone had changed my password and security questions. Fortunately I was able to reset my password, get back into my Paypal account, and lock the hacker out. When I logged back in I noticed that they had added some other bank account and had started the process of transferring $7800 into my Paypal in an apparent effort to steal it. Well, it takes 3 days. In the meantime, I deleted my personal bank account for security reasons, and luckily the credit card I had listed in Paypal had already expired. Well, the problem is that this left only the hacker's bad bank account in there. After 3 days when they realized the money was probably funded, they locked me out again, my worst nightmare! I got emails stating my password, security questions, phone number, address, everything was changed. There was no way for me to get back in now. I had already had Paypal turn my account into a "Limited" one during this fraud. Well now I quickly had them lock the account while they tried to return the money to Wells Fargo. Apparently the hacker was using a "Key Logger" program & watching my keystrokes to see what I change my password to, etc. Finally Paypal was able to get the money returned to the innocent bank account holder. Another twist is that the hacker had entered a personal credit card to try to move the $7800 to. This process kept me out of my Paypal account for months before it was restored, and my ability to send and more important receive payments from MyLot, my online surveys and paid-to sites was crippled. Paypal has given me a security key since then, but I don't fully trust even that extra security now.
@KrauseHome (34994)
Wow!! I am Lucky I have never been effected this bad with my Paypal. I know that I have heard Horror stories from others about things like this who do business via Craigslist, Ebay, and some other online sites that it makes me quite wary a lot of times when I see online sites out there. I am hoping by now they have about got your account back to where it should be, and you were able to get your Earnings like you should have as well. May 2009 be a better yr. for you all around.
Thanks for your concern. Everything seems to be back to normal with no damage, and I'm glad to report that Paypal was able to return the $7800 to the rightful owner!
OMG runningman! That had to be your worst nightmare! I can't even imagine what you went through all that time. It's bad when problems arise for just a few days, but months? Totally and completely frustrating I would imagine, and beyond that. I completely sympathize with you. Now I'd like to know what exactly you did to remove this virus? I'm assuming it was a virus and no one you live with did this to you. Here is a link to the Symantec website for a free scan if anyone's interested.........http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/WelcomePage.asp......... I really hope this is all cleared up for you and you can live in trust again...it would be hard for me too after going through all that. I'd be scared. The only thing that happened to me once was someone hacked into my Ebay account (this was when I was moving and didn't use my computer for about three weeks), and when I went to go sell something again I was frozen out. Couldn't log in, couldn't put in my password, had to only talk with Ebay security. They actually put a stop on my account completely when they saw suspicious actions. What happened is someone tried to sell a "John Deere Tractor" on my site, haha! It was actually funny now when I think of it because I only sold really small items, then all of a sudden here comes this huge tractor. They couldn't tell me how they figured this out because of security reasons but were investigating it with the police. I was really curious too and found it quite fascinating. This took about a week to clear up, but NOTHING like months. I really feel bad for you. Anyway, you have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Let's all pray for a much better NEW YEAR!....take care...Bobbie http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/WelcomePage.asp
Wow that is quite an ordeal. I have never had that happen and hope it never does happen to me. How can one prevent keyloggers? Does anyone know?
@ronaldinu (12445)
• Malta
Hi runningman72. That is a very unfortuate experience to go through. I am sorry to hear that your account has been hacked. I do think that it is our repsonsibility to keep our computer safe from hackers by installing firewall, antipspyware and anti viruses. Make sure not to download any software from untrusted sites ore persons that you dont trust.
@williamjisir (22904)
Hello running man. Long time no see. Glad to see you back to us. So I think that you need to be very careful with your paypal account and online bank account. Take care, friend.
@eshaan (6193)
its very sad to hear that, and it happened to u, who had such a big amount at paypal, if it happened with the person like me who is very slow online earner, it wouldn't be a big problem for me. Wish that it doesnt happen again.I understand how u must be feeling after all that time u spent earning, all that struggle and it took them minutes to do that, very shameful on their part.
@spoiled311 (5502)
hi runningman! that is crazy!!!! yeah, i also got a phishing mail that asked me to update my account. i hurriedly updated my account and before i am to put in my final 3 security numbers, i realized that i need to check my account if it was really closed. it wasn't. i was shaken to realize that it was phishing mail that only attempted to get my money, it was really crazy. anyway, thank God He sent an angel to save me from myself. and i hope that everything will be alright with your paypal account. take care and God bless you! :-)
Hi, I love your profile pic! We had dogs just like that when I was growing up. So far everything has been going along smoothly with Paypal once we got all of this mess straightened out. They even gave me a $5 security key for free. It adds an extra layer of security to your Paypal account, but it is far from perfect. The reason being is that there is an option whereby you can bypass the security key if you forgot to bring it with you and needed to log into your Paypal. So my point is, "What good is it then?" if someone only has to know your security questions to bypass the security key? If a keylogger hacked the answers, could still get in then!
@suspenseful (40316)
I have a free anti virus with a firewall, and I also have an anti keylogger and I do not have my bank account verified for the reason that I do not want anyone to take money out of my bank account except me. Unfortunately I live in Canada we cannot take any money out of Paypal into my bank account until we get twenty dollars. And we are charged fifty cents each time. And if I wait until I get the amount where you do not get the charge, but it might make the income tax people rather suspicious. So I would rather loose 50 cents each time then a whole two hundred or so dollars.
@chrislotz (8203)
Wow, that is quite some story. I have never heard of anyone else having any problems with their paypal account being hacked like that. But I can see it happening as by the sounds of it, it doesn't sound so hard to do if you know what you are doing. Woooo. That's just too scarry. I have my bank account set up with paypal and not my credit card but I guess it could happen regardless, huh. I hope things are better for you now, with paypal. I hope you don't have any more problems. I hope I don't either. Thanks for the heads up on this, the warning as I just take paypal and this internet stuff for granted and "it can never happen to me" happens. Alrighty then, talk to you later my friend, Have a good mylotting day, Chris
@LittleMel (14055)
this is why I never leave any money on my paypal aside from $ 10 or something be careful with phishing emails too if you get any from paypal, log into paypal don't use the link on the email for it the credit card I have there is closed months ago so they can't use it even if they want to I don't make a lot of money online either so even if they steal it would've been $ 50 the max LOL and that's when they're lucky because I sell on ebay and it isn't high end item so it's not like I'm making thousands every month. I'd be lucky if I could get $ 100 every month after this and that fee.
@insulin (2483)
That is really a nightmare..Well I never exposed my account number online because I know it is really scary.There are lots of hackers and we will never know.God bless and have a nice day..:-0
@kiran8 (15361)
• Mangalore, India
I am sorry this had to happen to you.It is really helpful that you have given us all the details of the transactions.It is scary to think that such things can happen.It can happen with anyone.In the mean time did you loose any of your money? Or was it safe while the person was trying to steal the other account?You were lucky that you came to know it in time otherwise you would have had to face the consequence for someone else's misdeeds
@pitsay (173)
This is very scary, but with all this technology now hows and with all this "feed" cheats which you could easily download for free on the net, then i guess one cheater or hacker could get caught but another might try to do it again. That is why i dont left any balance on my Paypal. And i limiy my self to the sites that asked details about Paypal or any processor accounts. Lets just hope that this hackers get what they deserved in Gods time. Bless you all, and Go to H-LL...
@ashar123 (2359)
[b]You can see the discussions I started. In them I started a discussion that how my E-Gold account was hacked and I still to date never got my money back. Now I think, when E-Gold seems a history and no longer used on many sites that E-Gold itself was a fraud and deprived people of so much money with its background in West Indies. Now I am using Money Bookers and they are going all fine with me as they are from United Kingdom and they even sent a letter to my home in Pakistan to check out I am real, verified my postal address and thats great. I have never used PayPal because my country is not eligible I guess for PayPal. But I say you are very lucky and PayPal administration did their job in giving you the security against that hacker. I would suggest that you buy a good Anti-Virus plus Anti-Trojan software from either NOD32 or Symantec to secure your computer. Because you said that hacker was monitoring your computer's key strokes so you better be careful. Hope you Good Luck in future.[/b]
My Paypal account was hacked big time and all my money was stolen, and I got absolutely no help from paypal as far as recovery. I don't keep a lot of money in paypal now because of that.