Eating on the cheap

Do you have a cheap and easy meal you make? We are having cheap and easy chicken pot pie tonight. I like making this cause it costs less than $5 to make and it is filling and warm and yummy. Most times we have all the ingredients on hand so no running to the store. It takes about 10 minutes to put together and about 30 minutes or less to cook.
@deebomb (15323)
For us a cheap easy meal is potato soup and Grilled cheese sandwiches. In fact thats what we are going to have for supper Christmas eve. We like to put some grated cheddar cheese on top of the soup too. Another cheap and easy meal is bean soup and corn bread. The beans do take a while to cook so I fix them early in the crock pot. I follow the recipe for cornbread thats on the cornmeal box. A self raising corn meal is even easier because all you do is measure the corn meal and add milk eggs and oil. I do put a handful of grated cheese in it too. These are two of my cheapest meals for less than $5.00. probably about a dollar if you have the cornmeal. The beans are about $1.50 per lb and the cornmeal is about the same.
@drannhh (15048)
Both of those sound really good to me and they are what we call "comfort food" too. I use the small package mix for the cornbread, but I add fresh ground oatmeal and a handful of ground flax seed to healthy it up.
Yummy those sound good. We do beans and cornbread on some days. I try to challenge myself to come up with filling meals that cost less to make and with today's prices that is a real challenge!
@deebomb (15323)
drannhh I never thought about adding the ground flax seed. Then you wouldn't have to add the egg. If I remember right 1/4 ground flaxseed and water equals an egg. sweetdesign I grew up on these soups. Some times for supper we would have cornmeal mush with toast for supper. I still like it.
@drannhh (15048)
Oh, that sounds good. Mine is close--chicken dumplings. Once, however, a friend had me over for dinner and knowing chicken dumplings was one of my favorites, she made them, but ackkkk, hers were altogether different. Hers was runny, like soup. I make it in thick creamy gravy with big fluffy cloud-like dumplings on top and I like thyme in the dumplings, and served with real butter. Hah, I just ate and you are making me hungry again. My favorite chicken pot pie is the "impossible" kind with biscuit dough, but hubby likes the pastry crust, so we usually have it his way and I give him my crust.
Mine I cut my chicken to bite size pieces and cook them, I throw in some frozen veggies usually corn,carrots and broccoli, cook all that then add a can of cream of chicken soup and half a can of water pour salt and pepper pour into a casserole dish and top with grands biscuits bake it and voila chicken pot pie on the cheap.
@drannhh (15048)
I would eat that. Usually, I use frozen veggies rather than canned, and fresh diced onion, and peas, but broccoli is good, too. No added salt, though! The soup already has about ten times as much salt as is needed, and if it is one of the alleged "leading" brand soups (which we never buy) watch out because they say it is healthy "sea salt" but when you read the label that is some near microscopic amount at the very bottom but regular salt (think aluminum/sugar/additives) is high on the list of ingredients.
@katemeow (848)
wow! this sounds really yummy :) I don't have an oven right now to bake the crust but maybe i can buy a couple of croissants to go with the filling. Thanks for the tip :)
Sounds really interesting! How do you make it? Cheers and happy Mylotting
I posted that in response number one. It is delicious. Very filling.
@nchap36 (556)
Yes we do. Sometimes I just buy some potatoes and bake them. We have everything at the house to put in them.
We do that too.
@lilybug (21148)
I love cheap eats! Chicken pot pie is a very cheap and easy meal that I make about once a month. I make a lot of soups too. I made a cabbage soup last week. It was super cheap. Just tomato juice, beef bouillon cubes, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, cabbage, carrots, celery, and green beans. It is really good and super cheap.
@GreenMoo (11842)
I think the cheapest meal I make is probably soup, using seasonal veg or those from the garden. Pasta dishes can also work out very cheaply, but if we really get stuck the cheapest option is probably pancakes.
@katemeow (848)
a quick and easy meal that i like to make is tuna patties. I mix a can of tuna, potatoes, carrots, onions and a couple of eggs. Sometimes i add a little cheese too. After mixing everything i fry it in small batches and shape it like a patty :)
@phoenix25 (1543)
I make a lot of meals that are pretty cheap to make. Sometimes I make hamberger over rice with gravy over the top of it. I cook the hamburger with a little onion and garlic and some salt and pepper...and maybe a little basil. My husband really likes this because he used to eat it a lot when he was younger. I make a beef stew that costs probably less than 10 dollars because I use fresh potatoes, carrots, celery, onions, and garlic, which is pretty cheap. I also make a pasta casserole that is pretty cheap. All it takes is hamburger meat, noodles, some canned diced tomatoes, and some tomato sauce.