Comparing miseries...

@SaintAnne (5453)
Have you or did you ever thought of the less unfortunate fates of others to make yourself guilty for wallowing over something that pains you and makes you sad? People around us are starving, dying in wars, losing their jobs, losing their loved ones, suffering through real illnesses but why does it seem that our petty problems are so worse? Just a thought.
@LadyMarissa (12161)
Our petty problems seem so much worse simply because we can feel our own pain. If we don't feel the hurt, we don't care!!! We can't feel the pain of another's misfortune. We are basically a selfish society.
@SaintAnne (5453)
Hello, LadyM. I think we've distanced ourselves from what "bad" is going on around us, just as long as it does not affect us. I cannot remember where I got this from but I think it's from a movie or a television show where someone asks the main character why she thinks her problems are so big and the main character replied "Because they're mine." Thanks, LadyMarissa for the response and you have a wonderful Christmas!
@LadyMarissa (12161)
Merry Christmas!!! - Merry Christmas to one & ALL!!!
[b]MERRY CHRISTMAS to you too!!![/i]
@shine17 (128)
I think that is the life, different people with different life. people is so small in the universe,maybe you will calm down if you see the people or the world from universe.
@SaintAnne (5453)
I think in some ways, when we truly get to experience or witness firsthand what other people suffer through around the world, then it really makes us rethink why we even have these worries and anxieties. Thanks for sharing, shine.
@myklj999 (13962)
Well, I can only preak for myself on this issue. I rejoy complaining about my petty problems due to the simple fact that they are petty problems. I've done the whole been homeless/no food/no job/no shelter/no anything or anybody; it all really sucked. And I did it for a few years, so I got the full experience of the situation. I can wallow in self pity over the pettiness of my problems now, because in reflection I do realise how good I now have it. Don't know if I said that right to make any sense to anyone, but believe me...petty rules!!!
@myklj999 (13962)
Well, I can only preak for myself on this issue. I love this type of thing. That should be *speak*. I woke up from a weird dream (it dealt with being in prison, soda machines that would only take credit cards and girls sneaking in to visit the inmates...don't ask me how it all ties in) and decided to check my mail while still half asleep. How I typed "preak" for "speak" I don't have a clue; but I feel perfectly satisfied in my cluelessness.
@myklj999 (13962)
"rejoy" = enjoy
@Chevee (5915)
WAKE UP
@alokn99 (5717)
I have pondered on this many a time and then it has made me realise how fortunate and blessed i am and how grateful i should be for all the things that i have recieved. And especially at a time like this when there are millions out there who cannot enjoy the spirit of Xmas.
@SaintAnne (5453)
We are more fortunate than most, alokn. Thank you for sharing and I hope you are enjoying the spirit of Christmas to the fullest.
@avidwhit (1492)
• Mexico
While I am sitting here in the comfort of a house with internet checking email mylotting research etc I for sure feel like I have things good. Like you say there are for sure less fortunate. Good thought best to be thankful and not take things for granted. Happy holidays. :)
@SaintAnne (5453)
Hello avidwhit, Haven't seen you here for a while. Hope you are having a fun and cozy holiday season as well. Thank you for the response and yes, I don't think there is harm at all when one is always thankful and appreciates everything.
i think we all have our own crosses to bear just that when were feeling miserable we see nothing but our miseries...some may use their problems to give encouragement to other people and some just tell how miserable they are because they looking for someone to sympathize with them..you see when we have burdens we hardly see that there are more less fortunate than us and that there are those who are having a bigger problem that we do...we always wanna be the one to look like unfortunate because we seek for people who can comfort us but then again there will come a time in our life that we are still lucky enough than others
@SaintAnne (5453)
We seek comfort, sympathy and understanding most of the time... yet I believe that doing things such as myLot is more of a leisure thing for a lot of us as well as extra money coming in... so we are all indeed luckier than most. Thank you, angel of charm. Have a wonderful Christmas celebratioN!
@milfea (519)
Hey SaintAnne. Wow, this is so real. I guess humans by nature are selfish. We never get to feel others' pain unless we've gone through it ourselves. Whenever we are in a tight situation, we think that we're the most troubled and most unfortunate people on earth. And then we begin to think and tell ourselves, "No, I'm not dying, so it isn't really that bad." But the next time we get caught in that tight situation again, we always forget that we're not dying. :D Man's selfish nature may be the very reason why Jesus said, "Love your neighbor as yourself." Because we naturally love ourselves. We don't want to get caught in a tight situation nor do we want pain. And so we, sometimes, are allowed to feel pain and go through it to understand, and when we do, we get to feel for others.
@SaintAnne (5453)
Hello milfea. I hope you refer to response #10 to have another different but enlightening perspective as well. I am so lucky to have one great answer after another. This is what I enjoy the most. I do believe that we are allowed to feel our pain in order to feel the pain of others. I think that is when we get to become more empathetic with their plights. Thank you and may you have a wonderful holiday season, milfea.
@lynnemg (4539)
I try to always keep in mind that no matter how bad things in my life sem to be, there are always others that are worse off, and my problems could be much worse too. When I begin to feel sorry for myself and the things I am going through, I also look back and reflect at how far, and how much better things in my life are in comparison to how they used to be. I think it is important for all of us to be thankful for the things we have rather than be upset about the things we do not have. Things can always be a lot worse.
@SaintAnne (5453)
I think it is important for all of us to be thankful for the things we have rather than be upset about the things we do not have. I believe you are right there, lynnemg and I hope everyone remembers that if NOT all the time, then for significant times in their lives, be it up or down. Thank you and may you have a wonderful holiday season!
@Chevee (5915)
That is something to think about. I have been thinking the same thing lately. I am out of a job and I know it is a very serious situation to be in. I know there are people out there that are in worse shape than I am . My home is paid for and I have no small children at home my health is fair. It is not as bad as some of the other people that are out of a job. Especially the ones with family to take care of. I do have somthing to be Thankful for. And I Thank God for that and I pray for all of us.
@SaintAnne (5453)
I hope you are going through this transition and change in life fairly well, Chevee. Doesn't the "burden" of our problems get lighter when we think of the things that we should be thankful for? I wish you all the best and a warm and memorable Christmas with your loved ones. Take care, Chevee and thanks!
@drannhh (15227)
Well, I never quite followed that bit the 50's mums used to lay on their kids about eat every bite off your plate because children in other countries are starving. Not one to dwell on petty problems myself, and therefore I don't get into guilt trips, either. I cannot answer that one for you. I just know that guilt trips are something other people try to lay upon you when they want to manipulate you and get you to do something you don't want to and probably should not do.
@SaintAnne (5453)
I've been on so many guilt trips that I could have had a full-blown vacation every 6 months or so, drannhh. The first bit, I'm familiar with, very. Someone would tell me to finish my food, be thankful for what I have, because lots of people in my country where I came from don't even get to eat. Sometimes, that makes me depressed and sad but sometimes, I can't help but sass them out and say why don't they send the leftovers back home. Thanks, drannhh. Hope you and the hubby are having a wonderful and cozy Christmas!
@veejay19 (3592)
Yes most of us indulge so much in self pity that we forget that there are other people in the world who are much worse off than us.We always tend to look at others who are better off than us and then we fall into the trap of envy and jealousy and make our lives miserable. 38 years ago i was diagonized with Muscular Dystrophy a progressive neuromuscular disease in which the body tissues and muscles waste away and do not regenerate. Hence the patient ultimately becomes either wheelchair bound or bedridden and then passes away. There is no cure for this disease anywhere in the world since it is a genetic. When the doctors told me about it i was at first devastated since they said i could not marry and lead a normal life.However it turned out to be a blessing in disguise for me as my life underwent a sea change and when i was told that mine was the most benign among the dystrophies and that i would be able to lead an otherwise normal life. I am on a wheelchair now but thankful to God when i see many people who are much worse than i . All this has taught me to count my blessings and not complain or moan or regret about what i have missed in life.
@SaintAnne (5453)
Hello, veejay. You have gone through a lot in your life. I hope you stay strong, patient and positive. Thank you for sharing and you take care and enjoy the holidays, veejay!