dangerous foods to avoid feeding to your fd

@EvrWonder (3577)
I have been researching topics of interest referring to certain foods safe to feed my dog. I have come up with a wealth of information. I was particularly interested in potatoes as I would like to have an alternative to rice, that is alkaline forming and so to be able to avoid using rice all the time. Rice is acidic forming. In the meantime I have come up with an extensive list of foods to avoid feeding my dog.Some foods on this list, I was not already aware of. I am glad that I found it and felt compelled to pass onto my fellow MyLot friends. Have you fed you dog any of these in this list? http://peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1661&aid=1030 Hope that this list proves useful.
@mentalward (14697)
I knew about most of them but was surprised to see potatoes on the list! Luckily, it said that potatoes are more of a problem with livestock than with dogs. Not that I give my dogs potatoes but my oldest dog has been known to get into the potato bag and help herself! I've found numerous potatoes, all partially nibbled on, all over the place before! My dogs LOVE bananas and I can't eat one without them right at my feet, staring at me and whining a little. They don't usually beg like that but with bananas they go, well, they go bananas! They do the same thing when I'm eating grapes but I knew that they shouldn't eat grapes or raisins so they get none. But, yes, your list did prove useful! I will try to make sure my dog doesn't get into the potato bag again!
@mentalward (14697)
Oops! My bad! I just re-read the potato listing in that list and it said potato LEAVES and STEMS were bad, not the potatoes themselves, so WHEW! I have nothing to worry about, well, except for going to get a potato and finding only an empty bag because my dog has, once again, helped herself! LOL
@EvrWonder (3577)
Lol, that's funny about your dog and the potato bag. I read earlier today about another dog that loves potatoes. I read somewhere today that the potato peels are not good for the dogs, the green in them, inside the layer before the potato. Like I was mentioning above in response to the last comment, I was looking for an alkaline diet for my dog. Potatoes can be an excellent alternative to rice. Unlike your dogs going bananas for bananas, lol, my dog doesn't even flinch for them. It seems she doesn't like sweet. She does like beets and sweet potatoes though. Grapes is a total no as are raisins. I already knew that. My brothers family used to feed their dog grapes so i told them not to any more. I was suprised to read about the baby food because on some dog site they recommended mixing kibble with all chicken gerber baby food, in order to get the puppy to start eating it. I tired that and she wouldn't eat it at all. Totally turned her nose up at it so that was a good thing. Good luck with that potato bag and am glad the list proved helpful. Thanks you for your response.
@mentalward (14697)
You know, I completely forgot about something the vet told me once. When my former dog was a pup, he got parvovirus. He was sooooo sick, in the hospital for 4 days on IV fluids and antibiotics. When he got to the point where he could go home, the vet told me to buy baby food (meat) for him! He had to eat food that was very easily digested and you can't get easier than baby food. Apparently, the meat baby food isn't bad, at least I assume so since the vet told me to feed it to him. He loved it and didn't get sick from it. I had a hard time weaning him off of it once he got better! LOL
@bunnybon7 (36541)
• Holiday, Florida
thanks so much. i go searching every now and then on the internet for this info. so many things you cant feed dogs, but my family will argue with me about it. we are always arguing over the chocolate thing
@EvrWonder (3577)
You're very welcome. I am sorry for you and your dog that your family are constantly arguing over the chocolate thing. This can be deadly for a dog. They can get really sick from chocolate. If they still argue, perhaps get your vet to give them a quick call. When I found this list and several more (but this one was the most comprehensive) I was searching for an alkaline diet for my dog. Alkaline vs Acidic. Somehow I got onto this and am surprised by some of the contents. Hope it proves helpful. Best to you.