Do all wood stoves give off that awfull soot and smoke into the house ?

@Sissygrl (10915)
those old water heater registers, electric heat, oil furnace, or.. the one my discussion is really about... Wood stove.. Everytime i visit my mother and father in law i have to wash all the clothes and toys we took there because it smells SO BADLY of smoke that i can't even stand it. Are all wooden stoves that stinky and dirty? everything in their house is covered in soot. . or is it because they burn all of their garbage just about in the stove that heats their home? if you have a wood stove does it smell on your clothes, would you notice if it did ? and do you burn your garbage ?
@carmelanirel (20979)
I don't remember the smell, maybe because it is one of those things where if you live in or near it, it doesn't affect you as bad, but I do remember the dust. It was awful, I would dust every day and the room was still dusty, I hated it..And my husband wants to burn wood again, to which I absolutely do not..But like always, if he really wants to, we will end up burning wood again..
It isn't like I do a white glove test every day, but I grew up in a very dirty environment and sometimes my husband thinks I over clean, but I don't want to put my hand on my table only to see my hand print in dust.. Also, our stove is very old, and big, you probably have a better stove and it keeps the dust down..
@Sissygrl (10915)
I think this stove i'm talking about is older too.. or its new but ment to look old.. i'm not sure. . but you could and do leave handprints on things.. and its not really dust persay, its more like soot.
Well I really don't know then, though when they burn, do you notice anything coming from the stove, like a leak somewhere..Because soot, isn't that like dirty dust or ash? And the only way I can figure it getting everywhere and plus the smell like that, would be if their stove had a leak, even a small one...I don't know how their stove works, but on ours, we have a blower that pushes out the warm air..If theirs is like this, maybe get a good fire burning and turn off the blower and take something like a piece of paper and go all over it and see if the paper moves, like an air leak..This is just a wild guess, because if you did this, especially around the door, you might find that all it needs is the...(dang it, I can't remember what it is called, but I am sure someone here will know)..it is like a cord that goes around the inside of the door to seal in the smoke and soot..
@SViswan (12071)
At my mother's place, they use wook to light the fire for cooking and yes, it does give out a lot of smoke and soot...and everything there is black. And it smells of smoke. It was hard when we were living there for a few months but now I just clean up well after a visit. Burning garbage isn't a very good idea...lots of toxins are released in the process. I just read an article on it in the newpaper yesterday.
@Sissygrl (10915)
I agree with you. . but you can't teach an old dog new tricks. . They will burn everything till they no longer can burn things. . sad but true.