Why can't I get Zone Alarm on my Laptop?

Ok, I had my Desktop for 6 years and it still works great. I found out from my Mylot friends about free programs like AVG Antivirus, and Zone Alarm Firewall and I've been using those on my desktop. Now I got a brand new Gateway laptop, and I really like it. It has a trial of Norton on it, but it will expire in 30 days and I don't want to pay for it when I know the free programs work well. So I just downloaded Zone Alarm for Windows Vista and it tells me it cannot be installed because my computer 'has a 64 bit operating system'. What the heck does that mean? Why would it install on my 6 year old desktop and not on a brand new laptop?
@Barb42 (4225)
I was just reading up on Zone Alarm on a forum. One person said that he had checked their site and they aren't going to support 64 bit Vista. That's probably the reason it doesn't work for you. Your older machine was a 32 bit machine. All ours have XP on them and they are 32 bit. We have run Zone Alarm but didn't like it, so we took it off. I just read this on their site: "Other PC security programs only offer free database updates. With ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite, you'll get FREE upgrades for 1 year including our Vista compatible version when it's available. Please Note: Due to the different needs and functionality of the Vista operating system, features and functionality on 2000/XP and Vista may differ." http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/promotions/zanox/3/zass_gb.html?c=W200002
Hmmm...I downloaded it from CNET, and there were several options. I chose the one that said it was for Windows Vista. I hope I get this figured out in about 3 weeks before my Norton expires.
I think you need chang your OS to windows XP, it is better.
@ZephyrSun (7387)
Sorry I have never used it before, but, do you possibly have an anti-virus that is currently on the laptop and is not allowing for the download?
@jabaz007 (253)
windows vista is 64 bit os and many programs which are designed to run on 16 bit os dosent work with vista. that is one more disadvantage of vista. you may find latest version of zone alaram that is compitable with windows vista.
• Mexico
maybe you could try to change you OS to windows xp I had used vista for 6 months and I dind't like it, so I decided to chante to XP is better, and faster