Homeless get caviar for Xmas! Finally some one isnt wasting food!

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUSTRE4BL30I20081223?feedType=nl&feedName=usoddlyenough [i]"Down-and-outs and hard up pensioners in Milan Rome will enjoy a rare Christmas treat this year: choice beluga caviar confiscated from traffickers. Italian police seized over 40 kg (88 lb) of the delicacy, worth some 400,000 euros ($558,300), from two men who last month smuggled it into the country from Poland for sale in the shops of Milan and the rest of the wealthy Lombardy region."[/i] they realized that the food was still good but wouldnt keep forever so they decided to DONATE the caviar to the homeless so they get to enjoy it.. at first i thought it was silly but then i started thinking and was happy that they chose to GIVE it away instead of THROWING it away or assuming it was TOO good for the homeless.. its not like they spent their funds on it so heck free food is free food!! for once some one isnt WASTING food!!
@ahgong (10086)
ha ha ha ha ha... those who managed to get their hands on the caviar must be thinking it is better than striking the lottery. If only they had done the same for the fake Rochelles that was recently confiscated. Instead of giving it away to the poor, the authorities decided to destroy the stock of inferior chocolates (as compared to the original Rochelles).
i know i was thinking that when i read about this lol.. it was such a waste!!
@winterose (39931)
Yes at least somebody got to eat it and I think that is wonderful, they could have thrown it away or let it go bad then thrown it away of hoarded up and took home for their families or even to resell but they did a good thing.
yeah for ONCE!!
@wheel416 (1019)
Hiya Moon, It is nice to see that common sense won out over red tape and bureaucracy this time around. Here where I live, people had food available and wanted to donate it, for example, restaurants and bakeries, wanting to donate day old bread. Sadly, as you've pointed out in your original posting, sometimes, red tape gets in the way. And these bakeries were told no. Why? The reason given was "If someone eats that food and then becomes sick we could be held liable, so we can't take the risk and use your food." In a nutshell, we are afraid of being sued, so I'm sorry we can't accept your donation. In my opinion, there's something wrong with that logic. We have hungry people and we have food. Let's put two and two together and feed people. It doesn't seem to be that complicated to me. But then again, who am I to point out the obvious? That's just my 2ยข worth! Merry Christmas and happy Mylotting.
@sixclix (677)
Food wastage is a sad and common fact in democratic and capitalist countries. Food that don't get sold in fastfood chains get thrown away, and that's a lot of food. That's the downside to capitalism, if you don't pay for it you don't get it, even if it's wasted.
which is why im happy to see that they made good out of the caviar they confiscated and gave it away to be eaten instead of throwing it away