What a lovely present...

Handmade bag from Manila - Handmade bag made by the poor people of Manila from recycled material.
@lilaclady (28240)
Australia
I just had to show all my friends a present I got for Christmas, this is a littl clutch bag hand made by the urban poor women in Manila, this is made from recycled materials as you can see the bar codes on this bag, these very clever women must in some way weave the materials from plastics and cans, there is a little shop here in Melbourne that sell all sorts of bags and such, all shapes and sizes all made frommaterial like this..my friend said she bought me this because of the colour...I think it is just beautiful, these ladies are just wonderful and ever so clever...this is the sort of present that is just the best, everyone wins, I have a lovely little bag and the purchase helps the poor people in Manila...next year i am going to go to this shop and buy as many of my presents as possible, i am so impressed.
@JenInTN (27564)
Wow,that's reay nice! Plus helping out the less fortunate. It looks to be very high quality. Maybe I'll send you some money to buy my gifts there next year. There are several places in my area where there are people from an Indian reservation selling unique crafts and such. I never even thought to visit those places. Next year I will though.
@lilaclady (28240)
You can buy them on line even and i think the prices are so reasonable it makes the pressie still reasonable even with the postage...
@JenInTN (27564)
Thanks..I'll check it out. Thanks for best response too! Merry Christmas!
@pyewacket (44036)
That's really wonderful that those women are able to "recycle" materials like that...maybe more of a trend should occur as it would be one way to utilize used products again that are normally just discarded. It is a lovely color! I wonder if they sell things like that made by poorer people from all over the world on a website somewhere??
@lilaclady (28240)
yes pye there is a website on the ticket www.kamay-kraft.org they have lots of good things at very cheap prices...
@Rosekitty (19438)
• San Marcos, Texas
I'm going to check out this link myself..thanks!
@oldboy46 (2132)
There are a few things I like about this gift you received lilaclady. One is that thereis an outlet for the articles this woman/women made and that can only help them and their family. Another is that someone had the foresight to import these goods and offer them for sale in a country where there is a little bit more money available than in the Philippines. Even if the man is making money for himself, he is certainly helping those families inthe Philippines. The fact that this bag is made from recycled materials is good as it shows only too clearly what can be done, if people are wanting to help the environment. This bag is much better than the materials ending up as landfill somewhere as it is also something that you will be able to use. Thanks for the website information as well, as I am sure that a lotof people will check it out to see what is on offer. I have taken a note of it for my partner who will certainly be interested in this I know. It is actually interesting to see what people can do, if they have a mind to that is. This bag was probably made out of necessity so help a poor/needy family to survive anda t the same time the woman sued something that would otherwise be thrown out. Her major expense would have been her own labour, so hopefully what she receives in payment will be nearly all "profit". Thanks for sharing this with us lilaclady.
@hotsummer (10449)
yes i noticed that bar code and it is actually what i like about this bag. the bar code seems really cool to look at. it is kind of proof that this bag is a recycled one. pretty amazing how they are able to learn how to weave those things or materials. but since this is a recyled from plastic and cans. does it mean that this bag is not foldable .
@lilaclady (28240)
Hello hotsummer, this one is just a small clutch bag but the material they seem to be using is the labels and more of the carton products, there is a man here in Australia that sells some of their products and i went around to his house to have a look at some of the things he was selling they were amazing, if you go to the link above in one of my other answers they have photos of all their things, they have all size type shopping bags down to wallets, the man selling them when he first bought a wallet with only two slots for cred cards and he told them that most people have more cards than that, she were shocked when they saw all his cards so now they have wallets with lots of different pockets and slots...I am going to do a lot of Christmas shopping from this man next year, even to buy the shopping bags to put people pressies in..they were very reasonably priced...
@KrauseHome (35514)
This is a nice present, and very thoughtful of your friend as well. These people who make these do a wonderful job, and I would Like to see and maybe own some of this type of stuff myself. Personally there is nothing like owning something you know someone made with their hands like this as well.
@ptrikha_2 (10780)
Wow !! It looks such a nice Bag . I appreciate that you bought this bag and helped a really needy person . Regards
@aseretdd (13736)
That is a very beautiful and classy clutch bag... and one wouldn't even think that it was made out of recycled materials... or they were made by the poor women in Manila... I saw a segment in one of the tv shows in my country... and they featured a store that sells only stuff like these... and there are so many beautiful things that are sold at very affordable prices... prove that one person's trash can be another one's treasure...
Hello my friend lilaclady Ji, It is nice to note your hidden noble idea behind your purchases next year from the same shop. may god bless You and have a great heart to help others. Have a graet time.
@jpso138 (7868)
Yes it is indeed beautiful. And of course what adds to its beauty is the fact that when you buy the product you will be helping out someone in need. That is basically a very practical thing to do. Well, at least I know now that you are also from the Philippines. Best to you. I am from Cebu!
@cynthiann (18619)
• Jamaica
Yes, I try to purchase gifts from that people have made in my home too. It really helps. The bag is so pretty and \i can see why you are so delighted with it. But a half dozen in January and see what else they may have. They may have other things that you can use as gifts throughout the year. As you say - everyone wins. Blessings
@chrislotz (8203)
And it is beautiful. I got a lot of gifts too. I got a really nice dressy black sweater and another black sweater that is more for every day use and I got a lot of make-up and perfume and make-up brushes and winter boots and a massager and a couple tops and a winter coat and ski pants and new mitts. Now I only have to go out and buy a toboggan for my daughter and I and we can go tobogganing. I will be really warm. On Saturday my husband will be here and we will exchange gifts again. That will be fun. I am looking forward to that and to have another day to celebrate will be fun too. Alrighty then, talk to you later my friend, Have a good mylotting day, Chris
@karubod (603)
hi...the bag looks really wonderfull. when a gift is given with lots of love it looks even better.i admire things which are made of recycled materials ,it takes a lot of creativity and imagination to make such things.....so if it helps the poor then its worth buying......good spirit, happy my lotting.
@Rosekitty (19438)
• San Marcos, Texas
Lilac..what a lovely purse and what a talent..makes me realise how lazy i've come to just take all the work for granted that people do for us just to put food on their own tables.. You got a lovely gift and will shop there soon and will have to check out the link you posted.. Huggs
@shaie78 (141)
that great bag to you offer your friend, the types of bag is unique and very beautiful and suitable for ladies
Hi lilaclady, What a beautiful bag and I love the colour too, its well made as well, very clever I don't think I can do that. Merry Christmas Tamara
@winterose (39918)
oh that is really so sweet, you have great friends.
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
Very nice and the best part is as you said it's a win/win situation. Merry Christmas my friend.