A Thinly Disguised Fat Joke....

I purchased an exerrcise bike for my husband for christmas this year. He has been talking about getting one for more than 5 months and after we got it assembled he was pleased as punch to have it. Now had he purchased that for me I would have been Pissed and probably wouldn't be speaking to him right now. Have you ever recieved a gift that seemed more like a barely veiled insult?
@mommyboo (13198)
I am trying to figure out how to feel about this. I see people who are upset about gym equipment, upset about gym memberships, upset about workout clothes, shoes, weights, etc. If someone TALKS about wanting workout clothes, a gym membership, a treadmill, if I could help make that come true, then I would. I would NEVER be doing that as a way to insult anybody or make a joke or make a statement about their appearance or health. You actually mean to say that if you had talked about wanting an exercise bike and your husband LISTENED and got it for you, you would be pissed and upset? If the intent was good, then why would you be upset? I would question it if it came from someone who didn't love me, but your husband loves you. Right?
*Disclaimer* I realize how ridiculous this is going to sound......... Yes. Even if I had been talking about losing wieght or getting some sort of exercise equipment I would not want him to give me anything like that as a christmas present. In my mind it would be as good as saying "Hey, Your Fat!"
@mommyboo (13198)
Thanks for the BR However, I have to mention that your thoughts about the gift would be unfounded. Why would your husband purchase you something with the intent to hurt your feelings and make you think 'I'm fat'? Unless he is that type of person, I just can't see that. I do know there are SOME men out there like that but mine is not like that so since I like to think the best of a situation, I'd have to hope yours isn't like that either. What if he even told you it had nothing to do with your weight or your disatisfaction with it, only that you talked about wanting to get in shape and he wanted to help you? What would it take for you to believe him?
@spalladino (17925)
Since he was already interested in it...and since he's a man and thinking more about being buffed than losing weight...I don't think buying it was an insult. My son-in-law recently started some diet regimine that includes some kind of protein drink and he was talking about getting this and that to work out with before Christmas. So, my daughter gave him some of them. He was happy, too. I believe a joke is only a joke...and an insult is only an insult...if that's how it's intended.
@barehugs (8986)
The True importance of a Gift is not in the material, but in the Thought behind it. A gift that's so unsuitable it must be returned, can be as lovingly appreciated as a gift that saves a Life. A gift given, and received with Love, can never be an insult.
Hmm. So does that mean you are fortunate enough to not have any antagonists in your life?
@barehugs (8986)
You were not Antagonistic. Antagonism cannot flourish in an atmosphere of Friendliness and Loving Kindness. Develop an Attitude of Thankfulness, keep it with you, and you will never be Bothered by Antagonists!
@mommyboo (13198)
Luv, I think it's because women take things differently than men do. I don't think the intent would be bad at all. Men don't tend to think about ulterior motives like women do 'gee, does he think i'm FAT? Is THAT why he got me this?!' etc. As far as antagonists in my life, sure there are some. I just don't accept gifts from them. LOL!