My first "baby" will be done this week

I am working on finishing my first "baby" this week. I just got done underglazing (painting) the head arms and legs they will go in the kiln tomorrow. Then I will have to glaze them and finish the face (eyebrows etc). Then it is putting it together with the body, putting on hair and dressing the baby then she will be done. I will post some pics tomorrow when the kiln can be opened. Any doll makers out there?
@Thoroughrob (11756)
I hope she really turns out nice for you. I am not crafty at all.
I am hoping she turns out good too. We shall see. She is in the kiln and I can't wait to get her out and glaze her and put her back in the kiln. After that comes hair and assembling in the body then getting her dressed.
@fairydew (180)
Oh, how nice. I will look forward to the pictures.
I will be posting pics in stages the final stage will be the final glazed and finished doll. Of course it will be tomorrow evening before the first pics get posted so keep an eye out.
@vanities (11343)
• Davao, Philippines
Great!!! i cant wait to see it..keep us posted on this and let us or me to one to give comments on the result of the painting..i wish i could paint too...
Well head arms and legs are in the kiln will be 9 tonight before I can open the kiln but will tke pics of this first step. Next step will be to glaze the lips,and fingernails and toenails with a glossy glaze and the rest of the baby in matte glaze then off to the kiln again. Then it is time to put on the hair and asseble the body. then the final stage is to dress the baby. I am going to make some tiny booties for her and then probably a tiny shirt to go with this adorable jumper I got on ebay.
@buenavida (7916)
• Sweden
I am not a doll maker myself but I once met a woman who can make portrait dolls. You just need a photo of you as child and if you have saved some of your hair, she can use it for the doll!! In that way it will be something very special, a doll that looks like you as child. I donĀ“t think I would be skilled enough to do anything like that, but who knows - I have never even tried to learn.......... Anyway - that may be a good idea if you already can make dolls.
My mom made dolls and she did a good job. I have four dolls that she did I do not like the ones with the wigs I like the ones with the painted hair. I have a set of twins one blond and one brunette I have a baby crawling named Jesse and a doll about 12 inches tall mom even crocheted the clothes for them.
I will be posting pics later today. I hate the little head that I did so I will be going through the molds again to look for a better head this one is almost completely devoid of features. Now the newborn size head turned out great. and the little arms and legs were fine I just don't like that little head.
Ceramics are the best I hope you can sell them on like and make some money. I know you enjoy making them.
This is interesting. Though I have done ceramics in the past I have never done a doll. I have made soft [rag doll] types of dolls. Just the process of creating a one of a kind object is very satisfying to me.