Have you ever had unexpected weather on a vacation?

@maximax8 (27980)
United Kingdom
My first vacation was to Greece and I was 14 years old. It was incredibly hot there and on the news at home there was coverage saying that it had been the hottest weather on record. I went to Australia I noticed that the weather varied depending on the region, it is such a large country. In Darwin it was the Wet Season and the rain as well as the thunder storms were amazing. I went to a beach and had an awesome display of lightening in the sky. Wow! It was so dramatic that I will never forget it. When I went to the Cook Islands there had been a cyclone in the week before I arrived. The weather was cool and the sky dull as a result of getting over such terrible weather. The steps down to the beach had been broken. Luckily I have never been in a country at the same time it has been experiencing a cyclone. What sort of weather have you experienced? Have you ever had any unexpected weather on a vacation?
@LaurenInLA (2272)
Wow. I've never experienced the kind of weather that you have on vacation. I do remember a couple of unpleasant weather experiences. The first was a couple of years ago when we went to Puerta Vallarta. It rained so hard one night that the power went out and there was so much rain in such a short period of time that we had two inches of water standing on our patio. We thought it was the worst rain that we'd ever seen. To the locals, it was nothing. The second experience that we had was on our vacation last year to the New England coast. We tried to do the Cliff Walk in Newport, RI and it was so hot that we could only manage about a third of it. Very embarassing for us as it's usually nothing for us to walk ten or fifteen miles. As it turns out, it was only in the eighties. It was the extreme humidity that made the difference. We're from Southern California, so we got a quick lesson in what humidity is on that three week New England trip.
@maximax8 (27980)
I can just imagine what the rain was like in Puerta Vallarta. I read about water in San Diego when I was there and it sounded incredibly dry. I have been to Los Angeles three times and in the winter it seems pleasant. I am surprised to hear that it was humid in New England. I adore doing cliff top walks like The white Cliffs of Dover. I did some long distance walks in New Zealand and the summer climate there is warm to cool. It can be challenging to walk far when it is hot and humid.
@ronaldinu (12445)
• Malta
Luckily I did no have unexpected weather during my vacation. Last summer during my Irish vacaon I had one day ou of a week where it rained heavily and I got soaked wet. I till remember my day in Kilkenny and I really wish that I have another chance of visiting this place again. This time without being soaked wet.
@maximax8 (27980)
Ireland is known as quite a rainy location at times. It once featured in a program about buying a home in the sun! I hope that you will go back to lovely Kilkenny one day soon and this time enjoy sunny and dry weather.
Yes i did experience some unexpected weather on a vacation. Last November I was in Seattle, and the weather forecast for the entire month was overcast and rain showers. It certainly was raining when I got there, but when I woke up on my first weekend there, it was all bright and sunny. Just perfect to have a troll and see what Seattle is like in Autumn.
@UK_Shree (3604)
I remember my first trip to Athens. It was the peak of summer and I was expecting that it was going to be roasting when I got out there. However, upon arrival, it was pouring down soooo heavily!! And it was a bit chilly as a result! I was only there for one week and during that time, we barely had two days of the sun and heat! Now whilst I am a lover of the winter, I didn't really enjoy the cold (and more so the wetness) of Athens. It is a beautiful city though!! Happy myLotting!
When I was stationed in Virgina I took a vacation and flew home to Oregon with the plan to drive my car back to Virgina and take my Mom and son along for the ride. When I left Virgina it was really cold, so we were all packed with warm clothes. When we hit eastern Oregon there had been heavy rains and we had to make detours because of flooding and hope that the care would make it through the high water on the detour routes. Going through Wyoming we got stopped when they put a barricade up across the highway because of the blizzard that was just begging to blow. When we finally got back on the road they were still warning that if you didn't have to go out that you shouldn't. I was young and invincible then and paid no attention to the warning. If my hands hadn't been gripped so tightly on the steering wheel I would have bitten my nails to the knuckles and I'm not a nail biter! It wasn't snowing hard, but the wind was blowing fiercely and picking up snow from the banks. We were crawling down the freeway, most of the time you could barely see the tail lights of the car in front of you and too often there were white outs where you couldn't see past the hood of your car! With Wyoming behind us we ventured into the midwest and through magnificent thunder storms. Listening to the news on the radio we found out that there were over 30 tornado's tripping through there at the same time we were. We were fortunate enough not to see one up close and personal. When we finally made it to Virginia we were hit with an early heat wave. My mom had brought only warm clothing so no excuses were necessary to make a shopping trip the first order of business for her stay in Virginia.
@faith210 (11233)
Hi maximax8! How are you my well-traveled friend? It's been a long time and I am just glad to do some catching up again here in mylot. With regards to having experienced unex[ected weather during my vacationing, well, I did experienced it once when my husband and I traveled locally for a vacation here in our country. It was December, five years ago and we went to a beach island. It was forecast that the weather will be fair but the day after we arrived, strong winds were felt during the night and a storm was within the area. However, this didn't dampen our spirit because the place was still beautiful and I had spend quality time with my husband. Happy New Year! Take care always..God Bless! lovelots..faith210
@williamjisir (22904)
Hello maximax. There was one time when my previous school organized us to travel to another province to visit a famous mountain, we didn't expect to have very cold weather up on the half of the mountain which is so high. I was freezing as I did not wear enough because I did not expect the weather that way. I did not go higher to the mountain or the top due to the cold wind. When I got down to the bottom of the mountain, I got a terrible cold because the next day I was unable to make a sound. I lost my voice for a week long. It is an experience that I will never forget. Take care, friend.
Yes, I experienced an unexpected weather too. It happened during my first time to visit Boracay, Philippines. It is a summer destination there. We were able to ride on a plane on the way even though it the weather was bad. When we were really in the island the typhoon came. I thought it was scary. We were stranded for two more days instead of just staying there for three days. There were still people on the beach even if the waves were really rough. Well, they have to get the most out of their vacation there. I was just happy that I was able to go there and someday soon may be visit the place again minus the typhoon.
• Lincoln, Nebraska
Back in 1992 or 1993 (the year escapes me now) when I was a highly successful distributor with the direct sales company Watkins I went to their annual convention that was held in Wichita. The last night of the convention, a Saturday I decided to check out of the hotel rather than to stay the last night. On the way home I got in the middle of a very severe rain and windstorm that I believe almost had tornado like winds. I had to pull off the road and ride out part of the storm because I was not able to see to drive and my car was shaking. Even though it wasn't truly a vacation but a business trip it was still unexpected and made the trip a bit scary.
@bombshell (11266)
yes i do have experienced.2006 we went to my country philippines just to enjoy sunshine but its unlucky almost the whole month raining plus thypoon.