The Good, the Bad, and the Cancerous

A long while ago I talked in a discussion about a cousin of mine who had breast cancer. After both breasts were removed and radiation and chemo were finished, they thought it was all behind them. Then a couple months ago I think I let a few of you know the cancer had come back. She had been feeling ill, but the insurance wouldn't pay for the PetScan. That is until she started coughing up blood (don't get me started on the insurance companies ). The Petscan showed the cancer had moved to her lungs, and to her hip. I don't know how all that works, cancer in the area of her hip. And I think it had also spread somewhere else, because they told her she had only months to live. Flash forward to last week. We got a call that my cousin had gone for another PetScan that very morning, and there was no cancer anywhere. None at all. We were so happy that a miracle had happened. She is in her thirties, married, with two little boys. On Christmas Day I was sitting by one of my aunts, she is in her mid forties. She had had her thyroid removed two days prior because there was something on it. They thought it was nothing. The day after Christmas, they call and tell her it is cancer. So she does indeed have cancer. The good news is that her kind of cancer is rarely terminal, and it looks to have been caught early. How many times has that happned to you or your family? You're in the clear with one "crisis", and then something else happens. Now I am very thankful that if my aunt had to get cancer, she did get a treatable kind. I think my uncle is taking it worse than my aunt.
@Opal26 (17691)
Hey ambie~I am so sorry to hear about your families problems. Cancer is such a horrible thing. I do hope that your aunt will be ok and that they did catch it early and got it all before it did have a chance to spread. And as for your cousing I do hope that she will be ok and that she is now cancer free so that she can raise her children and have a good life. It is so horrible the way that you have to be at the insurance companies mercy at a time when they should just say get the tests done it is a life we are talking about. I just don't understand and I never will how they can be so callous about peoples lives. I will pray for your family and I do hope that next year will be better for your family. God Bless you and your whole family.
Thank you. : ) Despite it all, we feel kind of lucky. I mean my Aunt Ruth (I talked about her in a discussion before you and I were on each other's friends list) survived stage four colon cancer. Now she isn't completely well. The cancer is gone so far, but she is having side effects from the chemo that have never gone away. But she is alive and able to hold down a part time job. And my aunt with Thyroid cancer got one that is rarely deadly. I guess if you have to get cancer, that might be the one to get. That sounds horrible, but I think you know what I mean. But I think the biggest miracle is my cousin. I just couldn't see her husband being OK raising his two little boys without a mother.
@nanajanet (4436)
Oh I did forget to write that my brother in law, who is two years younger than I am, was diagnosed with three types of cancer in his early 30's and it was terminal, given 6 months to live, but he was put into an experimental cancer research group at Sloan-Kettering and now he is 50 and doing great!
That is awesome! My Aunt Ruth (not the one in my current discussion) had stage four colon cancer. She went to Cancer Center Treatment of America, and she has gone past the expected 6 months, and is going on two years!
@nanajanet (4436)
I have heard about the Cancer Treatment Centers of America. Don't they use both traditional treatment as well as homeopathic? Do they take people with no insurance too? I wonder because wouldn't that be great for those with no insurance?
• Marion, Kansas
this is wonderful that the cancer is gone. As it spreads it can become quite painful.
@annjilena (5621)
wow this is a miracle my goodness it is some good news.i hope your aunt be ok she will be ok.this is a blessing,
Cancer spreads..Chemotheraphy and removing a part of the body with the disease just increases a persons chance of being alive. Miracles rarely happen to people who get a part of their body taken out and gets cure off cancer. In every cases of disease though we should always take precautions and do second opinions from a different hospital and a different doctor not that you don't trust the 1st one but getting 2 different opinions clears up things better. I hope your family gets well. I am glad though that a miracle happened to your family. Take care and my prayers are with your family.
@Masmasika (1922)
Miracles do happen. My sister was once diagnosed of cancerous lumps on her neck and was given only a month to live if not operated at once but we did go to another doctor for other opinions. then one of my brothers told us to go to the faith healer instead and we did. What was good about the faith healer was his advice for my sister to go on a strict vegetarian diet. After only a week, my sister felt better. She is already 50 years old now and has lived more than ten years from the time she was diagnosed of cancerous lumps. Sometimes we cannot trust doctors too much and we need other opinions. This depends on your beliefs. We also went to different churches and prayed to different saints. I believe in the miracles of Saints and God.
Diet makes a world of difference. I want to start with a healthy diet like that early so maybe it will save me sickness down the road. And I do believe God grants miracles. Some of them are big like curing cancer, but the small ones are special to. : )
@jillhill (37384)
I don't mean this in any type of disrespectful way but your family sure is filled with that nasty stuff! I can't believe how many in your family have it! We do have crisis like that happen....maybe that's why they say it comes in threes! And usually it does so cross your fingers that no one else in your family get it! And the same thing happened to one of the ladies in my sisters congregation....Mayo Clinic sent her home to die! Within just a couple of weeks she went back and they could't find a trace of it! They had a prayer chain going.....there are miracles!
@Llonorra22 (1150)
Thank God it never happened to us and I wish it will never happen. It only proved that God still makes a lot of miracles in life no matter what the doctors or Science says, God will still prevail. Happy posting and Godspeed...
@winterose (39922)
first of all praise the lord that both the cancers one gone and one not terminal are being taking care of, no or maybe it is the same I don't know, but for me it seems that everything happens in threes.
@camomom (7537)
I'm so sorry to hear about all this. Unfortunately, it seems to happen to a lot of people way too often. It's just a part of life I guess. It s*cks but what can we do but pray for the best. I wish them and you the best.
@carmelanirel (20979)
What great news, and a wonderful christmas miracle for your family..
@chrislotz (8203)
I'm not quite sure that your cousin is cancer free. She may be in remission which is different than being cancer free. Unless they made a mistake with her first tests, cancer doesn't just go away. But I hope I am wrong about that and she is cancer free. It is good that your aunt's cancer is treatable. What a relief for your family that was! I sure hope everything turns out good for you and your family and I hope you all have a healthy and prosperous year, my friend. We can all use some happy times and thoughts. Alrighty then, talk to you later my friend, Have a good mylotting day, Chris
No, it isn't in remission, it is gone for now. There are several cases of people who had cancer, but when tested later it had disappeared. She had gone through barely any more treatment and it was gone. I believe in miracles. So many miracles happen and I'm grateful for this one.