Brrrr, It's Chili Out

@Ldyjarhead (10157)
... or rather, since I've got a big pot of chili on the stove, it's chili 'in'. I wanted to make chili the other day but realized I didn't have any tomato sauce so had to put it off until I got to the store. I picked some up yesterday so I was all set for tonight. How do you make your chili? Do you use dry beans and cook them forever, or do you used canned beans? Which kind? Chili beans or kidney beans? Dark red or light red? Do you add all the liquid from the can too, or drain it? I usually brown my hamburger with some chopped onion, and toss in a couple cans of whatever kidney beans are cheapest,then either tomato sauce or tomato paste with a bit of water added. I don't measure anything, but I throw in garlic salt/powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, hot sauce and taste as I go along. No wonder I'm not hungry by the time I sit down to eat. I like mine with shredded cheese on top, and also with oyster crackers. Any crackers are ok, but the little round oyster crackers are perfect for soups, stews and chili. Ok, I'm off to stuff my face. I think I have some leftover rice too, so will put the chili over that. Yum!
@fasttalker (2797)
Yes it is great weather for chili! I use black beans and dark kidney beans. MMM You just confirmed what I am having for dinner tomorrow! LOL Haven't seen you in a while. Good to hear from you again!
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Yea, I've sorta taken a sabbatical from life for a while. I need to get more involved again, but it's quite an effort to even strive to be among the living. I don't think I've ever made anything with black beans before.
@onlydia (2808)
It is so nice to see you. I have missed you. Well I use kidney beans out of the can and I like the dark ones. Why don't know maybe because my Father did. And yes the tomato sauce and all. taste and keep tasing until I like it. The whole kitchen goes into it almost. Then yes not hungry when it is time to eat. I do eat more of it the next day. Measure what is that. A pinch here and there. Oh needs more of this or that. You have a wonderful day. Your friend onlydia
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
We think pretty much alike with our chili, then. Oh yes, much better the next day, like a lot of things.
@luvstochat (6914)
I use Butter Kernal chlli beans in my chilli. We like our chilli mild. My mom got the recipe from where she plays Bingo it is really good and it is not spicy at all you could spice it up if you wanted to though. My husband usually puts cheese in his chilli.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
I've always used kidney beans and prefer them to anything else. I think I tried the chili beans once or twice and it just wasn't the same. I guess I was used to what I've always done.
@lilybug (21148)
I use dark red kidney beans. I drain the liquid off and rinse them before adding them to my chili because it is that slimy liquid that causes most of the gas you get from Chili. I use some tomato sauce and some petite diced tomatoes in my chili. Ground beef and lot of onion. My seasonings are salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, a little sugar(very little) and some season salt. I like to top mine with sour cream and cheddar cheese.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Where did you hear that it was the liquid that causes gas? Beans themselves are full of fiber, which causes gas.
@3cardmonte (5098)
that sounds really tasty, I was just thinking how hungry I was and how its too late to eat anything now, and there you go bragging! I use canned beans, kidney beans, too much like hard work to cook 'em for too long, I like a bit of cheese on the top, and some deep fried onion rings, and crinkle chips,............. what were we talking about again?
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
The onion rings sound interesting. What are crinkle chips? Now that you mention chips, though, I'll bet corn chips would be good.
definitely, I mean crinkle cut fries, in britain we call fries chips and what you call chips, we call crisps.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Right, I knew our fries were your chips, which is why I wasn't certain which you meant. I was in London for a short time in the late 80s and I remember having fish and chips. I also remember the pint of ale at the local pub, which I couldn't drink. Blech!
@enola1692 (3325)
mm I love chilli I make mine like you except I also add a cup of suger to take the aicd out of the tomatoe sauce an if cherry tomatoes are on sale I get those an slice them down the middle
@enola1692 (3325)
sorry and if I am using 1 pound of hamburg I also use one pound of sausage
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
I don't like tomatoes, so I use only the sauce or paste in mine. I've used venison for the meat, though, and it was the best I've ever made.
@BarBaraPrz (20763)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
These days, I just open a can... sacrilege, I know.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
The only chili I would open from a can would be the thinner hot dog chili. I've never done that on my own.
@BarBaraPrz (20763)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Stagg brand's not bad. I used to make it from scratch, but these days, if I'm in the mood for chili, it's just for one helping, not a week's worth.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
That is about how I do mine also. It doens't matter if the beans are light or dark to me a kidney bean is a kidney bean. I know some use soupbeans and my brother uses pork in beans. I have a sister in law who uses tomato soup instead of the sauce and diced tomatoes that I use. I have tried it once it is okay..different but okay Cheaper then the sauce I use.. I am so jealous! I wanted chili today. I just told my brother that an hour ago but hubby is wanting something different and since I am sick I don't feel like cooking 2 meals. So we have wha he wants tonight possibly chili tomorrow.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Pork and beans for chili? Ohmy, that doesn't sound appetizing to me at all. To each his own, I guess. Hope you get your chili tomorrow.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
I know what you mean.. I think he started doing it that way cause his girlfriend doesn't like kidney beans. I am different I would have made her without the beans and made my half the way I like.. that is how I have to do my chili anyhow since hubby can't eat it spicy like I like it.
@deebomb (15322)
I had to make chili just a couple of days ago. I usually have some hamburger already cooked up for things like chili. I use dry beans I like to use the small read ones. i don't like kidney beans for any thing. I put a pound of small red beans in the crock pot along with a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce then add a can of rot-el peppers and tomatoes for some heat. Then I add the powdered chili spice to make it taste like chili. I let that cook in the crock pot for about 4 hours and then we have really the best chili with tortillas. We also put shredded cheese on the top. The kids will put some cheese in the middle then add another dipper of chili and more cheese. Never thought about putting chili over rice. It sounds good.
@deebomb (15322)
Doesn't it just irritate you when you do things like that. I know it dose me. So have the rice for breakfast.
@blackbriar (9080)
Even though I just had some very tender/tasty ribs, my mouth is watering yet again over your chili. lol I've never made it but have eaten it long as it's very mild. No tomato aauce? With all those tomatoes you grew over the summer? I would think you would of made some sauce at least. lol I still have plenty of sauce and whole tomatoes in the freezers.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
No, didn't have any tomatoes to freeze. Tom ate most of them and brought a few of them to the guys at the VA. They didn't get wasted!
I like chili alot maybe I will make that next weekend. I made spaghetti tonight and soup one day this week so I think chili might be something that I would like as well. I do like regular chili as well as black bean or veggie chili. It is something that I like to eat and warms me up inside.
@Ldyjarhead (10157)
Yes, chili is something that's great in the cooler weather, like most soups and stews. The best chili I've ever made was with venison - yum!
@terri0824 (4991)
I tend to make my chili the same way you do. I don't measure anything either. I generally use canned beans, chili beans, and or kidney beans. I usually will add a can of seasoned hot chopped tomatoes too.
@dawnald (84146)
• Shingle Springs, California
I've never made chili and I love the stuff too! Guess I should try it sometime. I've made pea soup, bean soup, lentil soup, but no chili!
I read in a vegetarian cook-book that I got one time that you optimize the protein absorbtion in things like chili when you eat it with rice, brown if you got it. We always eat it on rice. Have you ever wrapped rice, chili and shredded cheese in a tortilla wrap and lightly toasted it? Try it. They are SO filling and SOOOO good. My hubby loves 'em.
@lilcee (2704)
That sounds really good. I make my chili real simple. I brown some hamburger and sometimes add some onion. I add canned kidney beans (dark or light whatever I have), a can of Bushe's Chili Magic and sometimes I use a can of tomato soup or sometimes a can of crushed tomatoes - whatever I have. Season to taste with salt, pepper and chili powder. I love chili any way it's made - especially when it's cold and rainy outside.
@dragon54u (31637)
The last time I went to the store to buy stuff for chili, tomato sauce was over $2 a can! I'm talking the big cans here, that used to be $.99-$1.49 a can. I couldn't believe it!! So I bought stewed tomatoes for half the price and put them through the blender and it was just as good and I save $1 a can. I brown my burger, rinse and drain it then add it to the chili. I also use onions and green pepper if I have them, minced celery if I have some I need to use, and chili spices I buy for a quarter. If the spices aren't on sale I use the onion and garlic salt as you do. I add the dark red beans, liquid and all. Yum, chili!!
@Opal26 (17690)
Hey ladyj! That does sound so yummy! I have never attempted to make my own chili! I just kinda cheat and buy some of the chili that Campbell's makes! They do one heck of a great job I must say! They make Roadside, Sizzlin' Steak and some other really hot stuff! But, it is good and I love it! I know that I certainly could and should make my own. It sure is easy enough. Your's sounds wonderful and is sure making me very hungry! I just might try some myself! Enjoy!
@pyewacket (44036)
Oh! That's NO Fair!! Now I'm pining away here dying for some chili. Haven't made that in ages. I plan to do some grocery shopping maybe tomorrow..so..mmmmm...you've given me a thought. I usually get the Goya canned Red Kidney beans for my chili and nope I usually drain the liquid from the beans. I never measure anything when I cook, just toss this and a that whatever looks right...but then as my great-grandmother used to say...good cooks don't measure..LOL