male dogs

@snowcat46 (2323)
Do you have any male dogs that refuse to stop fighting? We got these two as puppies. Neutered them at the appropriate age. Enforced the peace within the house rule. But all it takes is a little nudge with these buggers, and they're at it again. It's mostly jealousy, I know. One is my dog, one is my daughter's. But they keep trying to own both of us. Has anyone found an answer for this sort of thing?
It sounds like they are competing for the position as alpha dog. In dog world every individual is considered either an alpha or just a member of the pack. A pack cannot exist without an alpha so they both work to fill the spot. The only way the competition will end is if one of them establishes dominance over the other, which probably will not happen, or if you or your daughter or both step into the role, which is more difficult than it sounds because being an alpha is about the way you hold yourself and respond to the members of the pack. If you let your guard down at all, for even an instant, competition for the alpha position will continue. I had a similar problem with my dogs, one is older and has been neutered, the other is a little over a year old and we are planning on breeding him so he obviously isn't neutered. My older dog had always been the alpha so when we got the puppy competition resulted. I finally had to step up to the plate and act as alpha by establishing my dominance in ways that the dogs would understand. I flipped the puppy on his back and held him tummy up (taking care that I did not hurt him) until he stopped squirming which indicates submission. After that I maintained my dominance by never letting my dogs go through a door in front of me, they always walk behind me and by only feeding them when they are calm and submissive (laying down and holding still), which is not easy for labador retrievers. Since then there has not been any problems, they both respect my position and obey commands much more quickly now and seem to be happier dogs in general. Hope this helps! Good luck!
@snowcat46 (2323)
I've done that with both of them. My dog has accepted me as alpha from the beginning. He's just psychotic about the other one being near me. That's what sets him off. He's submissive to the other one, unless I'm around. I know he's sending the other one signals. Even if I keep mine on a leash in the house, he'll glare at the other one and it's on. As long as I watch constantly, I can prevent it from happening. But if I'm busy with something and one tries to get close to me, the other starts it. It took me quite awhile to get the other dog to accept me as alpha. From the beginning, I had to hold him on his back for minutes with him snarling at me. He really had issues with not being the big kahuna. He's past it now, as far as I'm concerned.
Interesting, usually these kind of problems are related to dominance issues but if they are both submissive to you then I am not sure why they would not act as you wanted them to all the time. Dogs are usually 100 % obedient to the alpha, there ancestors had to be for the pack to survive so it should be instictual to obey the alpha even if you are not there. I guess they did not inhereit that behavioral trait which can make things difficult for you. If I think of anything I will let you know. Sorry I could not be more help!
hmm.. that's a tough one, I've had dogs fight over the years but never continuously. Have you tried obedience school? Maybe that would work.
@snowcat46 (2323)
I've worked with them, and they're both very obedient. On anything but this. (I always get weird animals. It's my curse.)