Want info about scooter chairs when you have stairs in the house

The Front of Our house in Winnipeg - the front of our house to show the stairs
@suspenseful (40316)
I hope this is not for some years yet. My husband had a stroke - they run in his family - and eventually unless he has a massive stroke and dies, he will probably need a scooter chair. NOw I want us to stay in our own house and he would if he were able because the senior apartments are too expensive, to go anywhere we would have to take a taxi, or get a ride from someone else, and since I go to church, that means I would have to pay for the gas rather than walk. Now if they built a senior's home in our area, it would be fine but our area is not zoned for multi-family dwelling. So what I am asking is there a way to have a scooter chair without us having to move? We have four steps from the kitchen to the landing in front of the back stairs, and one step going outside. The basement steps do not matter but it is for getting outside the house at the front. I am enclosing a photo, we have now put in railings since then.
@1corner (744)
Nice-looking house you have there. I don't think that would be a problem. You could either have a short ramp built that goes from your front door down to the walkway, or a longer one that runs parallel to your front wall (below the window) and turns to your front lawn. But you'd have to get someone to do carpentry work for you, and may cost a bit. I don't know of a scooter chair that can navigate those short steps without a ramp.
@suspenseful (40316)
I was wondering the same thing. We do have railings at the side of the steps now, and I do not want to remove the railings now that we just put them in.
@1corner (744)
As you already have the railings, it'll be easiest to go for a short ramp. Of course, you'll need to make sure it's OK to build one (by city hall, if I'm not mistaken) and as you stated in another post, be up to code. It's strange that to make any such changes within your property, you need to get government approval first (just remembered a story about a young family here who had a tree fort built in their garden, and it had to be torn down by city hall's say-so. There was also another one regarding a ramp, not unlike yours.) Take care when hiring contractors, and when buying scooters.
@suspenseful (40316)
It seems we have to get approval for everything around here. And the ramp would come in handy. I would hate the alternative. If he were to go into an extended care home unless I go and break my leg, I would not be able to go with him.
@Grandmaof2 (7603)
It's hard getting old and having to leave our homes but the assisted living homes are based according to your earnings and they have a chapel that holds regular Sunday services. These railings are an excellent idea.
See if you can have someone put in a ramp for you. That way your able to stay at your house and your husband can still have access to the out side. I know that with a little remodeling you can also put a ramp into your basement as well. I hope that you are able to find some one that can do it for a good price. You may want to check with some of your local charities or even a day labor place that you can find someone that needs a job that can do it for a great price. Just some idea's. Craigs list is a wonderful place for searching for such things. Good luck and I hope your able to get it done so you dont have to move.
@suspenseful (40316)
Thanks I will look into it. I do not want to move, and I am sure neither does my husband.
@Lakota12 (42684)
I would think that you could have someone build you a ramp for it
@suspenseful (40316)
That sounds like a good idea. I was talking about it, but I do not have that much money to hire someone.
@Lakota12 (42684)
Maybe you could find a carpenter at your church that wouldnt charge you too much! ask around. Y;ll are surpose to help each other right?
@suspenseful (40316)
I will have to ask the deacons if I know who they are. Trouble is they keep electing new ones every two or three years and it gets confusing. I am terrible connecting names to faces.
@mariposaman (2967)
I am not exactly clear on what you are attempting to do other than trying to stay in your existing home. If you are using the front door as pictured to go in and out you will need a ramp. If you are using the four stairs from the kitchen and the one step outside you will need a stairlift and a ramp. Are you asking for information on a four wheel motorized scooter for general mobility as well. The suggestion on the occupational therapist is a good one, they can also advise you what services are available in the area and how to contact them. If you are on fixed income you should contact CMHC http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/co/prfinas/index.cfm to see if you qualify for a grant either to renovate your house for disability or the same for seniors who want to stay in their house. There are two programs as you see on the page. There is usually a waiting period so get the paperwork done as soon as possible. Note that an income tax disability is taken off your household income to determine eligibility. You might also wish to contact the March of Dimes. They also provide a renovation grant for disabled. The requirements are less strict than CMHC. I do not know if Manitoba has an equivalent program to this Ontario program as I cannot seem to locate anything about Manitoba services while searching online. http://www.marchofdimes.ca/dimes/people_with_disabilities_caregivers/programs_and_services/hvmp/The+Home+and+Vehicle+Modification+Program.htm
@suspenseful (40316)
I guess the contractor who built the house assumed that if one got older, one moved into a plus 55 apartment. He also made it unkid friendly, because the landing is just in front of the stairs to the basement, and there is no room for a door there. We are both seniors, and we would qualify, but I was wondering about the lifts. We have banisters at the side of the two steps leading to the landing, so my husband can hold on to them but he has arthritis and he has to lock his fingers around. So do not know if a lift would work then, and then there is the back door that opens in, not out. And we now have the railings at the front steps and I do not want to take them out.
@suspenseful (40316)
Don't forget that they can afford to take a cruise every year or two. Well we have enough money for a cruise every three years. We did lower the cupboards a while back but that was because I am not exactly a six feet high Norwegian and somehow they made everything too tall. And our doors are wide enough for the walker, we do have handrails at the side of the front, and also banisters down the two kitchen steps, but I agree with you, they expect when you are old, either you will go into a plus 55 and spend the time reminiscing, or be extremely healthy and go on a cruise or move to Florida (or Arizona if you live in Saskatchewan).
@Lindalinda (4112)
There are similar houses in the neighbourhood where I live. I have seen ramps on a couple a couple of those houses. You should get in touch with whatever Social Services Department you have in Manitoba and get some advice as to how to modify your house inside and outside, as well as to overcome obstacles. I know in Ontario they will assist you with advice. Check it out. It is better to stay in your own home if you can.
@suspenseful (40316)
I think so as well. I will have to ask around and find out what assistance we can get. I am a terrible carpenter, and am more likely to hit my finger with the hammer then nail in anything.
I would think a little ramp would cover what you need. You should have a professional carpenter do it, but it could be done.
@suspenseful (40316)
I will look into it. I have to find out how much it costs and since it is too cold now, and there is too much snow, it might have to wait until spring.
@nixxi76 (3192)
It looks like you're going to have to put some ramps from your door to the ground level. You can buy plywood for cheep and I've seen it before it's stable.
@suspenseful (40316)
I will have to look in it. Right now I have to get enough money to do it.
@mimico (3619)
Hi, we don't have any scooter chairs because we're not as progressive as you are. But I've been to homes where the elders are in wheelchairs. Usually, the elders live in the first floor so that they won't need to worry about the steps. And when it's time to leave the house, they just stand up for a while and walk the few steps down. I guess in your case you can have a small ramp built to accommodate the scooter. Otherwise, you might want to move your husband's room to the garage maybe or some other part of the house which is more accessible.
@suspenseful (40316)
He wants to go into a senior's apartment, but the trouble is there is a waiting list for them all, and we might not get into the place we want. I want a place near where I can go to one of the three churches that have the same beliefs or where one of the congregation of that particular one near can pick me up since I do not drive. The second thing is that our house is small, and we have trouble putting in the stuff that we need and what are we going to do in an apartment? So I want to stay here as long as possible. If there is a big two or three apartment near one of the three churches in our city, I would not mind moving, but really if we have to move I prefer to move outside the province of Manitoba to Langley, B.C. since my husband's brother lives there and there is a church nearby.
@murugezh (273)
Well in India Now Apartments and other Flats are been increasing day by day. There are increasing population being migrated into cities like Mumbai, New Delhi, Bangalore, Calcutta and Chennai. Here too requirements will be there but not much it will take some time to get in to the market.
@suspenseful (40316)
It is harder for old people who cannot get around. And they have to be on the first floor of an apartment building and need a ramp. Right now my husband has a walker, but he has to depend on it everyday and it is cold here in winter, very cold, so he cannot get out much. A scooter would come in handy, but I feel it is more of a rich man's luxury and that there is an assumption that you are too lazy to walk. But in someone who is crippled, they can help.
@stephcjh (32328)
Thanks for sharing this information with all of us. I am sure it will be very helpful to alot of people here.
@suspenseful (40316)
Everyone is getting older, and some may have to be in wheelchairs and scooters. Walkers can only take one so far.
@Thoroughrob (11750)
You can do it. There is room for a ramp or an outside elevator lift. The ramp specifics are simple enough. It is standard. Our ramp is 36 feet long as we had to come up 36 inches to the door. It is a foot an inch. Usually if you need a ramp to get around safely, you have a community program that will do it for you. It is usually through the city or county. Ours was Crippled Children and disabled, there is also a group called independent living. Contact the Council of Aging in your area. It sounds like he has problems with stairs now, don't wait until he needs the chair, do it now, so you don't get in a spot. The other option is the indoor/outdoor lift. They have inclined and vertical. Here is a link on the bottom of the page is a lot of photos of ones that are already installed places, and different types. Take a look and check out your options. It does not sound like it would be too hard to stay where you are. My son is in a power chair, so we havelooked and looked at different ideas. http://www.mckinleyelevator.com/pagegallery01.htm
@suspenseful (40316)
I will look into it. We do have a place that sells products for the disabled, but we have not looked into yet because my husband keeps talking about moving into a senior's apartment. Trouble is it is not near any stores were the food is cheap, and he still would need help. Now if we were moving out of Winnipeg to someplace warm I would not mind but here we have to put up with the snow and cold every winter.
@rusty2rusty (6767)
• Defiance, Ohio
You can always add a ramp into the house. here is a link to an article that helps gives you information on what you need to get started. In case it would be something you want to start early : http://www.ehow.com/how_4614984_build-wheelchair-ramp-house.html
@suspenseful (40316)
Thanks. We will have to get someone to build it. My husband will not be able to drive anymore because of his arthritis and there are railings at the step at the front of the house, so I have to find out how to do it without removing the railings.