Want Freedom Of Speech? Go Somewhere Else!

By JJ
@myklj999 (13876)
Olney, Illinois
So many times I here people talk about their right to freedom of speech being violated here at myLot. What they fail to realise is that myLot is a privately owned business, with rules and regulations that they (myLot) can enforce in any way they please. I get pretty upset at times when I have things deleted that I don't think broke any guidelines; but I don't complain about my freedom of speech being violated; I am still free to step outside of my RV and say anything I want. I just can't do it here. But myLot, to me, is still the place I come when I want to say something; it may not last more than 5 minutes sometimes, but what the hell, at least I said it. Do you think myLot violates your freedom of speech, or do you agree since it is their site they have the right to delete anything they want?
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
It's their site and they can delete anything they want but I reserve the right to b*tch and moan about it if I think what they deleted is not a violation. Of course, they can then delete my b*tching and moaning. Vicious circle in myLot's favor. :-)
@myklj999 (13876)
• Olney, Illinois
Yep, definately in their favor, isn't it? Oh well, we just gotta keep tryin' don't we?
@dawnald (84147)
• Shingle Springs, California
I'm very trying. (evil grin)
@James72 (26829)
Yes, you are very right in saying that this IS a privately owned site and the reality is that whatever admin says, goes. I don't believe my freedom of speech rights are violated here, no. But I do wish there could be more relaxed and clearer policies in place sometimes. If you have a global community like we have here, then there needs to be a lot of room for many different things to be said. But individual opinions count too much at times I feel. What I don't understand is the rhyme and reason behind some of the decisions made. It IS their site, but it is us that ultimately influences what stays and goes most of the time and people who maybe wish for freedom, do not actually practice what they preach and become focussed on stamping out those very freedoms. I hope I made sense!
@p1kef1sh (45640)
You own the site, you make the rules, if we don't like them then we can make representations and accept your decisions or leave. That said, I think that myLot is fairly permissive, especially for a US site which has to handle the myriad of internal cultural variations just in your own country. I think that you run myLot well and I for one, have no complaints. Keep up the good work.
Nice to see a bit of common sense being written on this subject. Of course MyLot have the right to censor any discussion here in any way and for any reason. This is their place, so their rules apply. It's not as if their rules are particularly stringent, it's mostly just common sense, keeping things civil - I don't think I've had anything deleted yet.
@fwidman (11515)
It is their business and they do have the right to delete whatever they want. Although I might wonder why they deleted some things and allowed others, it's not my call so I just go on with life
@sconibear (8006)
this is myLot's "house" and i'm sure they've invested a lot of money, time, and thought into their "house" we're all guests here......we pretty much can do whatever we want and there's plenty of different interests where we can discuss worldly and unworldly topics with people from all over this planet. AND myLot kicks us down some loose change to boot. as far as freedom of speech, we can pretty much talk about ANYTHING we want here.....from planting a garden to "spanking pandas".......it's THE WAY we talk about these things that is important, and get's us in trouble sometimes. all myLot asks for in return is for us to follow some SIMPLE guidelines that boil down to respecting our fellow human beings and not cluttering up their "house" with a bunch of useless garbage. kinda the same guidelines that are implemented in MY "house"
can I come to your house and talk about...... um... let's say...... corn?????
@sconibear (8006)
MARCH 19TH!!!...MARCH 19TH!!!...MARCH 19TH!!!
wrong discussion bear! you are in trouble
@Rosekitty (19441)
• San Marcos, Texas
What i'm confused about is how people say they got their discussion deleted and lost points and then expect us to feel sorry for them...Just what is it we are suppose to do?..maybe go to their discussion and tell them and they don't listen and then we lose points too..oh well 1, 2, or 3 points lost is ok.. Oh Michael Did you have fun yesterday?
@myklj999 (13876)
• Olney, Illinois
Just another day, really.
The fact is, our freedom of speech can't be infringed upon by the government in any way. Private organizations ca do as they wish. If we don't like their way, we can leave.
I agree with you Myk, freedom of speech doesn't enter the situation when it comes to MyLot. When we all signed up at this community, we agreed to abide by the Terms and Conditions of this site, basically limiting what we can say on this site. If you want Freedom of Speech, create a blog (and good luck trying to get it approved by Mylot, I've been waiting three months on mine.) But here, you have to keep it within the guidelines that you agreed to, whether you like it or not. If you don't it won't be up for long.
@TheCatLady (4695)
• Israel
It's a hard world. We don't have freedom of speech on most forums. That's life. Here we can say many things unless it is offensive to the moderators. I would be upset if something I said was erased, but it is their choice. I would hope they don't censer me because they disagree with my politics, but that would be a chance I take if I write about anything that could be controversial. I'm a good little girl and always try to play nicely with my friends in the myLot sandbox.
@sid556 (31005)
I used to own a forum site and so from that standpoint...it is their site & their rules. They are paying us even which some forums do not. When a discussion gets deleted, it may at a glance seem as tho it were unfair but sometimes trolls are to blame for that. Even the most innocent discussions have fell victim to those little creatures. We are pretty much free to speak about just about anything on here with just a few very easy to follow rules. So, nope...i don't feel as if my rights have been violated at all. Its kind of like when I'm at work...my boss pays me to do his rules whether I like them or not. If I don't like them, I can leave...simple.
Hi myklj999, i supposed Mylot really don't want other mylotters to be affended by what you say although they don't have to read your discussions, but that is human nature, so I think mylot has the right to do whatever they want but we have to be carful in the way that we put our words. Tamara
@Lindalinda (4112)
I think Mylot is a forum established by a private company. They have rules and guidelines and reserve the right to delete discussions for whatever reason. All of us can decide to stay or go. It really amuses me to see discussions such as "I am fed up, I am leaving Mylot" Do you think it would impact Mylot if 1, 100 or even a few more people left because they felt their freedom of speech was violated? As you say we always have the option to go elsewhere if we don't like it here.
I dont think mylot has the right to delete whatever they want... If you think your post did not violate any mylot rules then there is a possiblity that mylot commited a mistake there, and that might be unintentionally... you know, like hitting the rong button or stuffs like that.. im just trying to put a possiblity here,,... But of course.. some people are not asking for freedom of speech but freedom of rudeness.. :D
@pujagupta (102)
Yes i believe that they have right to delete any material. It is their site and they know how best they can run this business. It is not only their interest but also the interest of all of us that certain unwanted uncontrolled things be deleted. Censorship is their in every society then why cant it be their at myLot.
It's kind of like we say in my house, My house, My game, My rules. myLot has the right do whatever they want, in their house. We all have the freedom of speech, but only to a certain extent. But, that is true anywhere. Have you really stopped and thought how often we are "edited" in our freedom of speech? Ok, guess I should answer the question, huh? No, I don't think that myLot violates my freedom of speech, I can still say whatever I want, they just have the right to get rid of it if they feel the need.
Yes, its their site and if they want to monitor what's said I have to agree with them. I'm not sure what their mission statement is exactly but they have an open forum where you can discuss day to day issues or go even deeper if you want. My freedom of speech has not been violated nor has my freedom of thought.
@laglen (19782)
I agree with you. I even responded to one of these discussions that you mentioned. I don't think people truly understand what their "freedom of speech" entails. To quote one of my favorite movies - "I do not think it means what you think it means" - I also think these same people misconstrue about 90% of our Constitution. Darn shame if ya ask me......
@jimbomuso (950)
Hi Mykl yep your right ... it's Mylots way or the highway! its kinda like the accroynm ROAR, rights of admission reserved. I dont think Mylot impinges anyone's free speech, it just restricts how 'free' they get.
You are absolutely right! MyLot has the right to do whatever they want as you say this is a private enterprise. No-one has to stay. If they want to earn money from myLot then they have to accept the "boss's" rules.