Are you a prisoner of your weight

@p1kef1sh (45647)
Want to lose some weight? Feel the freedom from elastic waist bands. The go to prison!!! In Decatur Alabama a sheriff has just been jailed himself for a night for underfeeding prisoners and pocketing the difference from the financial allowance provided. Apparently it is entirely legal for him to do so. But the judge felt that by effectively starving the inmates he went beyond what was acceptable. The whole rather sordid story is here: www.nytimes.com/2009/01/09/us/09sheriff.html?_r=1&hp Is it morally defensible to starve prisoners and for the law enforcers to keep the money?
@mtdewgurl74 (18122)
Yes I do want and need to lose weight. I would love to be able to wear my jeans again..lol thank goodness elastic was invented. Sorry to hear how that sheriff was treating his prisoners, glad he got a taste of his own medicine. I know they had to do something to get into jail but whatever their sins they shouldn't be treated like animals and starved beyond what is healthy..seems all he cared about was lining his pockets at the time. I will pass on going to jail though..although I am sure I would definitely loose weight by not eating the mystery meat special..I bought my yogurts,fruits, and lean meats and fresh veggies..so I am all set to lose weight today..
@p1kef1sh (45647)
I shall cross my fingers for you Becky. I am sure that you will get where you want to be in due course. Don't rush it. Those always seem to be the least effective diets.
@mtdewgurl74 (18122)
Well.. the hardest part is in not gaining the weight back.. I can lose over a hundred pounds a year but always gain it back. Maybe after I get it off this year I can sew my mouth up..lol
@p1kef1sh (45647)
Wow, that's over 8lbs a month Becky. If you make your diet your lifestyle then you ought to be OK. Good luck. I still love you whatever your weight!
• Regina, Saskatchewan
I would bring my own weight to bear on changing the outdated laws that allowed this to happen! However, as I weigh so little, the Sheriff would probably eat me for a snack! lol
@p1kef1sh (45647)
But what a delicious mouthful that would be Sparky.
• Regina, Saskatchewan
LOL, I happen to be in possession of a Sheriff's Star...........would you like to borrow it? ROFL
@p1kef1sh (45647)
You always did know how to inflame me Sparky! Send it over and bring the prisoner: Sparks of Insanity with it!
@dragon54u (31341)
I've read about this and think that sheriff should have to eat what he fed his prisoners--for the rest of his life, behind bars! I don't have much sympathy for people who break the law but I don't think they should be starved or otherwise treated inhumanely. What was Alabama thinking with that law?! They surely should have known something like this would happen. The southern part of my country is really whacky. I'll bet that law was made around 1900 or so when people took joy in abusing minorities and it was legal.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
Strikes me that the man is greedy. Makes you wonder how he managed to amass so much money from only $1.75 a day per prisoner. Maybe the whole city is in Gaol!
@dragon54u (31341)
I think he's greedy, too. Wow, it's been a LONG time since I saw the word "gaol"! I still have a book from "the little leather library" called "The Ballad of Reading Gaol", it's so old the pages are yellow and brittle.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
Oscar Wilde wrote that poem. I went to school in Reading and used to pass Reading Gaol every day. Never went in though!
@camomom (7537)
Yes, it is immoral to underfeed anyone and steal the money. I'm glad he was jailed.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
Me too. Should have been longer.
@camomom (7537)
I agree.
@bellaofchaos (11553)
Though the Sherriff seems to be morally Bankrupt we at least know for a fact that his bank account is not!!! * shakes head*. I'm amazed that this went on for so long and that the law was written in such a way that encouraged this behavior.. Anyones knows that you can't live on 1.75 a day, that is ridiculous. I find that this Sherriff should have been placed in Jail on the diet that he had given his inmates for a week and see how he likes hunger pains. The inmates might be there for breaking the law but that doesn't allow then to be treated cruely. This borders into cruel and unusual punishment. Maybe we should have flog the Sherriff in public and then dressed his wounds with the money that he made. I think that one night in jail was not enough. I think in addition to that the Sherriff should have to got and do community service and take classe on nutrition, paid for with the money he swindled, and on top of that he has to donate half of his pay for this year to a food pantry or food kitchen. That I think would have taught him a more valuable lesson.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
It would Bella I agree. However, the law needs an overhaul. This stems from the days I suspect, when the Sheriff didn't get paid much and was allowed to find novel ways to augment his pay. He's probably entitled to the contents of the pockets of anyone he hangs as well!
I would have to agree with you on the hanging there. But this is only the state of alabama that has this law and now that it's showing what it's doing. I forsee changes a coming. LOL!! I don't condone this in any way shape or form grrrr. By the way *hugs* it's been a long time my friend and I have missed you.
@GreenMoo (11842)
Oh thankyou P1ikef1sh! I'm not sure whether it's because I have a warped sense of humour, but that story really tickled me this morning! Seriously, keeping rations for convicted prisoners basic is acceptable. Starving people is not. A system which allows the sheriff to pocket any savings s/he's able to make on food costs is just asking to be abused though.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
That's what I think too. You have to wonder at a system that finds it acceptable to hold on to public money in this way.
@vikeyshuy (284)
crazy!starving the prisoners is unacceptable.other measures can be taken!the prison should ensue the basic needs of prisoners including food.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
I agree. But not in Decatur apparently.
@tentwo67 (3384)
I saw that story yesterday and I was shocked. I know from living in South Alabama that this practice is actually legal, but with only $1.75 per day per prisoner, he must have been truly starving them indeed to have skimmed as much money as he did. I'm glad he went to jail and I hope he enjoyed the food! While I want and need to lose a bunch of weight, I cannot imagine being in a lockdown situation with that little food and absolutely no way to get more. It's very sad. I posted this article on my Facebook and said that it reminded me of the dishonest mill manager starving the workers in Gone with the Wind. I don't think that a person in custody should be treated as though they were on vacation, but common decency is something I think they deserve.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
I agree with you entirely. What is even more troubling is that there are some in Alabama's law enforcement system that don't see what is wrong with this type of behaviour.
@polachicago (19143)
Hmmm, $1.75 per day and cut by sheriff to what?, maybe $1.50? I spend more money on my animals per day. I can not imagine to survived myself on $1.75 per day without turning into skeleton. I don't want to loose weight, because I am underweight. I am wondering how many underweight prisoners end up with skeleton look. I rather feed prisoners very well and let them work hard towards housing and food they have.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
I do wonder how they survive on that amount. That in itself is a crime, but the Sheriff's action simply compound it.
@GADHISUNU (2164)
The Sherriff would have lost more weight by reversing the roles. Starve himself to feed at least a few of the prisoners? That way, he would have or could have gotten closer to God, by atoning for any sin of Gluttony he might have committed?
@p1kef1sh (45647)
Probably.
Oh yes, i am always afraid of the weight. What i wanna is no matter ho much i eat, i would never worry about my weight but it is impossible.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
Right, thank you.
@stephcjh (32385)
That is terrible. I feel like a prisoner with my wiehgt but I am trying to lose it by exercising and not really cutting out a whole lot of the things I like to eat for the money.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
Once we have a little excess it becomes so hard to lose it. I have given up trying in the hope that maybe one night when I'm not looking my waist might escape! No luck so far.
@Gwapako_28 (2142)
I want to lose weight. But not that way.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
Me neither.
@pujagupta (102)
i have my own way of treating my obesity. I will do dieting, yoga, exercise, etc.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
or you could try going to jail in Alabama.
@dawnald (84157)
• Shingle Springs, California
Not morally defensible. Legal maybe...
@p1kef1sh (45647)
Precisely Dawn.
@DonnaLawson (4032)
I don't believe they should be fed steaks or lobsters, but I do believe that a good bologna sandwice would hurt them at all.. It is also not right to feed them cheaply and pocket the difference, now that is wrong.. If you will notice, when listening to the news, many more people are letting greed to get to them and it is sad to think of this..
@p1kef1sh (45647)
We live in a society of our own making Donna. This sheriff is greedy. I find the law that lets him do it astounding, but the fact that he is supported by so many is even more alarming.
Yes I am a prisoner in my own wiegth. I could never gain weight even if I non stop eat the who day I won't gain 1 pound. That is sad. I wish there was an easyer way to gain pounds.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
Move to Britain. Our money is Pounds!
Hi p1key, Well I don't mind starving the prisoners but not pocket the money, it should have gone to charity, in this country I think the prisoners are well fed on our tax payers money anyway, a little starvation is not going to kill them, but that sheriff should lose weight himself, serve hm right for keeping the money. Hugs. Tamara xxx
@p1kef1sh (45647)
It's a peculiar situation Tamara. Couldn't happen her, in theory! XXX
@ronaldinu (12454)
• Malta
As the artice has stated the prisoners are not in jail for singing too loud in the sunday's choir. So I really doubt whether their plea was justified or not. Whether they wanted to creat some trouble or not. Are they expecting a three course meal every day? I am not in favour of not treating right prisoners. Despite being locked up they still have a human dignity that they need to be respected as well. I don't think that it is morally acceptable to have apost where you gain financially at the expense of others such as in the sheriffs case.
@p1kef1sh (45647)
I think that even in prison people are entitled to be fed. The Sheriff acted selfishly and greedily and deserves what he got.
@jalucia (1435)
I'm wondering if financial gain at the expense of prisoners' nutrition is a documented benefit of the sheriff's position. I'm also wondering if starvation is documented as an acceptable punishment for prisoners. Job description and responsibility should be taken into account. It seems to me that the guy is unjustly enriching himself. It's not like he's donating the food to a homeless shelter, under the idea that the homeless deserve the food more than the criminals. He is profitting himself, and why would he deserve to do so?
@p1kef1sh (45647)
I agree with you. He appears to have been involved in a legally permitted abuse.