Do you remember when it was free?

@ersmommy1 (12598)
These cable/satellite prices are just skyrocketing! I was about 10 when pay tv came into being with cable. Yes we have more channels. But be really, do you always find something worth watching? Would it be so bad to go back to free? Maybe we would exercise more. talk to each other..or gasp! read more books! How much money would you save?
That's one of the reasons we don't have any sort of pay tv. We do have the HD box and have had it since last summer and I like it. I have a few extra channels than I did before a clearer picture. I wouldn't mind having cable if you could just pick the channels you wanted not buy the whole tier KWIM? Like I'd want Discovery
Yes... It is hard to stomach that I pay so much for the privileged of watching TV. If my wife would agree, I would try to go to over-the-air broadcasting for a year and possibly a netflix account. I like the internet better anyway.
@mtdewgurl74 (18118)
I remember the good old days of only getting one or two fuzzy channels but it was free. My husband would go stir crazy he is so used to be up and doing stuff moving around working and in winter/colder weather he doesn't work much so he is glued to the tube..we barely keep the bill paid in winter.But if we had to We would do without. We did for over 4 years before we got cable but we used the VCR and the DVD player.
@lilybug (21147)
I don't remember free cable. If people started having to pay when you were around 10 then that means I was around 2. Our satellite television is $39.99 a month and that is without all the special premium channels.
@stephcjh (32327)
We recently got DishNetwork because of the analog changing over to digital next month. We just got the basic package and local channel programs. The cost for it is not very good because there is hardly anything on that we would like to watch. I work alot and make time to exercise anyway.
@suspenseful (40316)
I find that if you want to get something worthwhile you have to pay for the second or third tier. With the local channels, you get what is most popular and what is most popular might not be the best. If for instance, you want to learn about history, you may have to subscribe to the History Channel, or if you want to learn about home improvement, the House and Garden Channel. Of course you can get local news and events on the local channel, but you may also get comedies or shows you do not want your children to be watching. You will have to turn to another channel or go to the health or discovery channels to watch 'how to keep your family healthy' Things that used to be on the local channels are now put on the Health, Discovery, or whatever name they give that network and now you have to pay for it. So now the local channels just give the news and the network shows and of course then there will be nothing to watch except the news. And they even have a weather channel and you have to pay for it. So you want more information, you have to pay for it unfortunately. Oh and you can exercise while watching tv, just get up and move your legs. I am mostly on the computer, walking, housework, and I just watch what I am interested in. You have to decide if it is not worth it, do something else. That is not so hard to do, but I do not like pay tv. Do you realize the movies they show are just for the old tv screen? If I want to see the movie in letter box or high definition, I have to rent it from Blockbusters, watch it on the high definition channel or buy the dvd?
@katsmeow1213 (29041)
Nope, I don't remember when it was free. I didn't know it ever was. But I don't pay for cable. We did at one point, $150 a month! Well we had it shut off. That just wasn't worth it. We watch a lot of movies though. The reason I don't excersize or read books is because of this darn computer, lol!
@sudalunts (5526)
Oh gee, I was complaining to my husband about this, this week. I use comcast, and have cable, internet and phone. My average bill is $150.00 per month. Cable alone is $72 and some change. I think it is totally ridiculouse. I said to my husband, who can watch 1000, channels. I believe we can go up to channel 999. A lot of them are pay per view channels. Now, the government is mandating people to get that silly converter box if they do not have cable. Why can't the way you watch TV be your choice, not the governments. Even with the coupon, some people may not be able to afford the additional money they may have to pay. Yeah, we should go back to the way it was, forget about cable, and start interacting and enjoying our families more.