Cell Phones: When NOT To Use Them

By JJ
@myklj999 (19858)
Cell phones are a part of everyday life now. I have come to accept this. But why do people NOT remember to turn them off in certain situations? My nephew's funeral was a couple weeks ago. In the middle of the service, someone's cell phone began ringing. After the person dug it out of their pocket or holder or whatever, they shut it off; then, you could hear several people there quickly shutting their phones off. Now, I personally do not understand why these people even brought their phones in with them. Are people really just so accustomed to having them that they don't even think about this? Cell phones don't belong in funerals, churches, courtrooms, hospitals; there are many places they should not be used. YOUR LIFE WILL NOT END IF YOU SHUT OFF YOUR CELL PHONE. PEOPLE LIVED WITHOUT THEM FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS. Cell phones have turned many of us into the rudest people around. Is it really that much of an inconvenience to turn your phone OFF and let your voice mail take the message in certain situations? Has our society really become so rude, or are people just not thinking? The floor is now open for debate.
@Frederick42 (2019)
Yes, cell phones have turned many into rude people. Now, it looks like it has become natural. For example, people use cell phones even while driving a vehicle. The consequences might turn out to be disastrous because when you speak on the cell phone and drive simultaneously, your attention gets diverted totally. So, I feel strict laws have to be made regarding the usage of cell phones.
@j47lee (742)
I hate it when someone's phone rings when i'm watching a movie in the theatres.. gosh.. some people dont get it.. even when in the beginning of the show.. they tell you to switch off their cell phones...
@savak03 (6676)
I don't have voice mail on my cell phone and some of the calls I get are important but still I agree with you that there are places where they should not be. And while I may consider the calls that I get as important I don;t think that the world will end if I don't answer them immediately. When I am going to be somewhere that the cell phone would be an intrusion I just leave it in my car. Then when someone calls it will show up on the caller ID and I can call them back when it is convenient for me. Because if we feel like we must answer every call we receive the very moment we receive it we are giving someone else complete control over our lives. Personally I intend to be the only person in control of my life.
Oh no! I must stay in constant communication with people because they might have something important to say and if I don't say it first then they might get the jump on an idea and I might not get the last word. *BEEP*
@fwidman (11515)
I think it is simply a matter of people not thinking about their silly phones. Guess that's why when you go to a movie theater before the previews start they feel compelled to run a message telling people to turn their cell phones off. You're right, they will not die without taking that call.
This has become a constant battle in school. Kids aren't allowed to have any electronic devices (covers cell phones, iPods, etc.) visible in classrooms, yet they're always out and on. Some of the kids think all their teachers are blind, so we can't see them text-messaging in their laps instead of participating in class. Most of the boys who have long hair have either the blue-tooth in-ear phone devices or iPod earbuds hidden in their hair. The most ridiculous part is that a majority of the calls they receive in class (they text their friends instead of calling) are from their parents! Of course, if their cell phones are confiscated, the parents threaten to sue the school, even though all they have to do to get them back is show up at school with their child. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I rarely even turn my cell phone on. I think of it as a way to get help in an emergency, for the most part. I use it for long-distance calls on break, or to let someone know I'm running late for an appointment or something. I transfer calls from home to the cell if I expect an important call and I won't be home. Otherwise, it is with me, but it isn't even on.
I shut off my cell phone when it is not use. When I have to leave it on, I put the ringer off and only have it on vibrate. The cell phone is meant for emergencies. If it is a true emergency they will call back or leave a message.
Hi mykl999, I don't blame you for getting so mad about those people with cell phones, I just don't understand why it is attached to them all the time, the only time I take my phone out is when I have to go some where and had to ring my hubby up to poick me up but while I'm out I have mine turned off all the time. I think to me that is being rude as they are not kids, they should know when to have them on or off. Tamara
@CanadaGal (4304)
I am so sorry for your loss! The cellphone issue is a nonstop debate nowadays. I agree with you, people need to re-learn that they do not have to be available 24/7. It's no wonder folks are so stressed out these days... they never get any rest! But because we are all so accustomed to having our cellphones on hand, I think the fact that they weren't turned off was just a matter of not thinking. Kind of like at home... if you had important visitors, would you remember to turn the ringers off of your phones in the house, so as not to be disturbed? I know I wouldn't think to do that.
@mysdianait (64058)
I absolutely agree! I guess it falls into the lack of respect category that has come with progress. I have my own cell-phones but they are always put to silent mode when I am involved in situations or in places where it is unwise to have the ringing tone heard. I find it absurd that children are given cell-phones at such an early age. We managed without them (and without so many other so-called useful 'neccessities'). Why should children need phones at school as surely they are there to be educated and by letting them have them there it seems to detroy this theory The one good use I have for my cell-phone is when I am at home involved with something here on internet. If I receive a call froma friend who just wants to gossip and I would rather be getting on with what I am doing, I use my second cell-phone to call my land-line. The friend then hears the other phone ringing and sets me free. Bad eh?
@saundyl (9690)
So true! I tend to forget mine in my car on the visor and it drives me wild when in a theatre..church or hospital (esp the hospital b/c they mess with pacemakers and other medical equipment) when a cell phone goes off. I hate when someone who's talking to me at work suddenly picks up their phone and starts talking all the while i'm standing waiting for them to finish telling me whats wrong with their computer so i can put it on the bench and go back to work. Some people just stand and chat on the phone for 10 minutes. Or the people in the grocery store who answer their phone while the clerk is trying to tell them how much they owe then stand and chat making everyone else wait in line while they diddle around. i hate cell phones...if it wasnt for the fact that i do alot of winter driving i wouldnt even have one its for emergencies only.
@saundyl (9690)
ps I also hate voice mail
@mikeshaws (141)
My World Is Full of A Wide Range of Electronic Products: mobile phone, ipod, PSP, PC. They occupy most of my life. I rely on them has gradually evolved into a kind of instinctive needs. I will collapse in if there are no such electronic products!!!
That wasn't the original point, I have myself a lot of gadgets, and me too would be "lost" without, (maybe inconvenienced would be a better word). I think the point is that we have to learn how to use them in a manner that is fair on everyone else. Alex
I agree with your comment. There are people who just dont know when to turn off their phone or put them in silent mode. There are some people who have annoying ringtones. As the saying goes: you cant teach an old dog new tricks. It seems to me that they dont just care what cell phone ethics are. I bring my phone all the time but I know when to put it in silent mode. I hope that those rude people would read your discussion and see the light.
• Regina, Saskatchewan
Hey! I'm an old dog, and just today I learned a new trick............how to turn off my cell phone! ROFL
Hi there myklj999! I don't understand why some people can be that insensitive. I know how it feels to be treated by such impolite people. I hate it when my students use their cellphone inside the classroom, while I am discussing most especially. Even if you tell them to keep their cellphones, they would still find a way to use them. Our school discourages students to use cellphones while in class but they do not allow us, the teachers, to capture the cellphone. Their reason is that if the cellphone we get to capture gets lost, it becomes our responsibility. Well, I think this is the reason why our students have become really stubborn.
Hello my dear mykj999 Ji, So nice of you for bringing out this type of discussion, I may be an extra ordinary wife , who does not owe any such electrnic gadets, without which, I can live peacefully. My hubby never likes it as it disturbs our privacy, while we are walking hand in hand. Some body will call and disturb us. Your observation also proves that we lived for so many years wiyhout these cell phones. So it wa scurteous not to carry cell-phone at the time of paying last rights to departed soul. Cell phones are very useful under dyre emergency condition, but not for making SMS calls to promote bussiness. may god bless them and have a great time.
I understand what you mean.. I love my cell phone and all and I am one of those who can not live without it, but I do know how to respect situations when phone needs to be turned off or when I am speaking to someone I should get off the phone. for example I am a teller and I hate it when someone walks upto me to cash a check or whatever and they are talking away on there cell phone then I try to count the money to them and they still don't stop talking.. IM LIKE HELLO... that is really rude. I love my cell and all but I know when it ok and when it not other should learn that too.
• Japan
I think it's a cultural thing. When I was back home in the states years ago the cell phone was a staus symbol. So most people always had it on the ring tone.However, now having a cell phone is common place. But no one has offered any lessons on cell phone manners. Living in Japan, most people never take their phone off manner mode. You ride the subway and the signs on the train tell you to put your phone on manner mode and not to talk on them. If you want people to have more respect when using them you have to promote the proper way to use them.
Well,sometime I think that cellphone is quite annoying when you are in theatre or while you are praying whether in the church,synagogue,mosque and temple.
First of all, I want to express my sympathy and also understand what you mean about people being rude with their cellphones. I think that society has gotten so reliant on technology that they don't even think for themselves. People just assume that it is like a part of them, such as their arm or something. I've seen people that knew that they weren't supposed to have them out at work and used them anyway. The thing is that people need to learn that having a cellphone is fine and everything, but there is a time and place for that. When people are otherwise occupied with something else, working, driving, attending a service, etc. then the phones should be turned off. Many people these days just show an overall lack of respect for the world anyway. You see reports of accidents caused every day because of people being distracted by cellphones, hitting people while driving and being run over not paying attention. This is really pityful.
yeah phones can be annoying but they also are very useful and can get someone out of a bad situation