A Better Stimulus Plan

@gewcew23 (8012)
The federal government collects on average 100 billion dollars in income taxes every month, plus another 60 billion dollars in Social Security and Medicare taxes. Doing the math that adds up to about 160 billion a month that the federal government takes out of the economy every month. Let us just be honest for one minute and put aside political beliefs for just one minute, for every dollar taxed is a dollar that cannot be spent or invested into the economy. Obama wants to spend 800 billion dollars or more to stimulate the economy. Well instead magical printing 800 billion dollars, which will not be worth 800 billion dollars because of inflation, just have a five month tax holiday. Five tax free months would come out to the same amount as Obama's stimulus plan. The federal government is going to have to print the 800 billion dollars anyway so why not let you keep your own money that you worked for instead of having some politician or bureaucrat decide how it would be best to spend your money?
@Destiny007 (5820)
That is the kind of logic that the liberals will not tolerate. You had best be careful, or the 0bamunist's Brownshirts will pay you a visit. Welcome to the USSA.
@gewcew23 (8012)
Yes logic like that will probably get me thrown in jail one of these days:-)
People like 0bama and his fellow democrats do not want citizens to come to realize they are their own solution and and government is the problem. 0bama and fellow democrats want to continue to deceive the public into believing government is the solution and citizens are the problem. Your better stimulus plan would upset the apple cart of deceit the politicans are pushing.
@gewcew23 (8012)
Taxation is power and when was the last time you every heard of government voluntary give up power.
Yours is a more compelling reason than mine.
There you go trying to add logic and common sense into the decisions our elected officials make again. When will you learn. IT is almost a requirement that you have neither to be in office. But seriously...they would never do this because then they would have to cut back on how much they spend on what the lobbyist and speical interest groups want. They can't afford to upset them you know comparing they bought and paided for just about all of them. You do not bite the hand that feeds you (unless its the american tax payers).
@gewcew23 (8012)
I know, I know I should never use logic and common sense. I should learn from our elected officials on how to get through life without using the either one. Maybe I will call up my local Congressman and ask him how to do it.
@us2owls (1681)
The Government gives with one hand and takes it with the other. Those of us on Social Security are given what we are told is the biggest percentage in pay raise for years and then they up the cost of Medicare through the roof and we are left with hardly anything of the raise. So we can't keep up with cost of living - thank you Senators, and Congressmen - I bet you get yourselves a nice hefty raise and don't take over half of it back for Medicare.
@stephcjh (32385)
Amen to that. I do not think alot of the politicians stop and think about that as far as we do. They want what they can get from us now and they want total control over everything, including our money.
@spalladino (17927)
That's an interesting idea, gewcew, but how does that help the millions of folks like me who have lost our jobs? I don't have any taxes coming out of my check anymore because I don't get a pay check anymore.
@jonesy123 (3950)
Simply said, the money has already been spent. They establish a budget based on how much tax money they think they take in. That money has now been planned for several projects and simply has to come in. Yes, it would be a great idea, but nobody would want to stop the projects this money funds, including salaries for government employees and the president, social security and medicare payments. This is why anything extra that requires additional funding has to be raised by taking on debt either by selling bonds or borrowing from other countries or such. If you simply put a five month tax holiday in place for the government to still pay out social security, unemployment, medicare, salaries, etc... well the money would still have to come from somewhere. They still would have to borrow it. Either way, debt would be incurred. BTW, simply printing more money is not the answer as it would just rapidly increase inflation and we would be worse off than before;) Now a tax reduction is workable but would have to be taken on over time as they need time to incorporate the loss of revenue in the next budget.
@suspenseful (40326)
Why can they not just lower the taxes? That money to stimulate the economy is coming from the tax payer and Obama will print out the money anyway. That means it will not be worth it and then everything will cost more. Why we find now that things made in America now cost more in Canada. So I guess if no one will buy it at home with the prices going up (due to that printable monopoly money) then the recession will get worse since no one can afford to buy anything. Therefore printing more money is just like making that play money we had as kids.