do your kids get an allowence

did you when you were younger? how much did you get or do your kids get and at what age did they start getting it i remember getting an allowence of 2 dollars a week. my daughter is 5 and doesn't get one yet. not sure when to start.
@snowcat46 (2323)
I didn't get an allowance. Very poor people. My daughter wanted one, but I made her start doing chores before she could get one. Nothings free. I wanted her to learn that money has to be earned. It doesn't just come from your parents. Otherwise they won't respect the fact you had to work to get that money. She was 10 when she finally started doing chores without doing the drama queen act. If she only did one thing per week, she got one dollar that week. If she was really helpful, and did things without being told to over and over, she got 10 dollars. She finally settled down to doing what was necessary and the allowance turned into a constant amount per week.
@sam4mumu (114)
I started getting an allowence at about 10 years old. I only got it if I helped my mum with the housework, washing dishes, tidying up. If I didn't help out I wouldn't get anything.
@Lexus656 (672)
I didn't start getting an allowance until I could start helping out at home. that's not meaning washing the dishes alone or anything like that. it was more like when I was 6 or so and could help mom throw away my brothers dirty diapers or go and get things that she needed. I guess it all depends on the age and maturity of the child. My son is almost two and he doesnt get an allowance but he does however have a bank that I fill with all my extra change daily. When it gets full we make a big production about going and putting it in the bank of course keeping out a few dollars for a treat, maybe an ice cream cone or a new ball or something little like that. I want him to understand finances when he gets older and I know that he cant really understand all that now but he will have a good base when it's time to start doing it on his own.
@inuceres (342)
my mon giving me allowance every week,..that allowance is good for 6 days,..