That's my good tablecloth, don't spill anything on it

@SomeCowgirl (32270)
I've always wondered why people said this, and when I was little I know I thought it was oh so cool... I mean the mystery, of why couldn't anyone spill things on the tablecloth... oh and why did you use the tablecloth if it wasn't to spilled on? I think these were mostly tablecloths done in thread, you know the thin ones with the elegant stitch? The pretty flowers, diamonds, or wreaths? Do you have a table cloth that warrants "don't spill anything"? Do you wish you did? Are you creative enough to make one of these? Can these tablecloths be washed? (the ones that are made out of thread)
@redhotpogo (4419)
oh man yeah. I have this uncle, and aunt that cover everything in plastic when company comes over. Like they're protecting themselves from some deadly virus that everyone but them has. They put plastic on the chairs, the couches, everything. There's lots of people out there like that who live in "show" homes. Come on in, don't touch anything.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
I can understand covering new furniture in plastic if there's little ones or clumsy ones about, but if it's a regular occurrence then well that's a bit odd. It's a bit uncomfortable too, I assume. They have covers for furniture, that can be washed, stuff that isn't plastic.. That I can understand... I appreciate the response.
• Lubbock, Texas
I have a beautiful tablecloth that my mother crocheted for me. I never used it except when we had a dining room where we seldom ate. Or if I put it on the table at all I removed it during the meal. It is washable, but I only hand wash it. It has a big coffee or tea stain on it where someone spilled. Yep that happens even if you don't use it during a meal. I had it stored during a move and when I got it out again the mice had gotten to it and chewed some of the threads apart. I wrapped it up good and stored it again thinking someday I'd repair it, but I haven't done it yet.
@SomeCowgirl (32270)
coffee stains are the worst things to get out and in thread, I am sure it's just that much harder to. I've never had to get coffee stains out of thread though. I wouldn't know the first thing on how to repair threaded things. Hope you get to repair it soon!