Is there a part of your craft that you hate to do?

@Aurone (4758)
I cross stich and while I love to do the actually cross stitching and watch the design come alive--I hate back stitching--its boring and takes forever. Although, it does add a lot to the pattern. Right now I am avoiding doing the back stitching on a flowered bookmark for my friend. A lot of cross stitchers hate back stitching. So is there a craft you like to do but hate some part of?
When I make sea glass earrings and bracelets, the sea glass almost always needs to be drilled. The same goes for necklaces where I'm using small pieces of sea glass. I totally hate having to drill the holes. I'm always afraid that my fingers will slip while I'm holding the glass and I cut myself with the drill bit. There's also the possibility of a small pieces of glass shooting up and hitting me in the face (yes, I also hate wearing protective gear...eye goggles and a dust mask) The biggest reason...I feel like I'm destroying the glass by drilling a hole in it. 99% of the time, I have my hubby do the drilling for me and I no longer drill the larger pieces of sea glass that I use on my necklaces ( I wrap them with sterling silver wire) Drilling is the part I despise the most in my craft!
@Aurone (4758)
That sounds dangerous and no fun at all. No wonder you don't like it.
It actually isn't that bad. My husband places the piece of glass in a container with water. The water just barely covers the piece of glass, which keeps it cool and lubricated during the drilling. The water also catches all of the "dust" from the drilling and keeps it contained in the water, rather than flying around where we could breathe it. I'm a bit leery about putting a drill in the water, but I've seen many other drill glass this way and it safe...as long as you don't drop the drill into the water... with just the very tip of the drill bit getting wet, there is no problem (so says my hubby) The same goes for the drill bit on his finger. He's had a semi-dull drill bit slide on the glass and slip out of his fingers. The bit has grazed his finger many times...he used to stop and check on his finger, but since he's never even had a scratch, he just keeps on going when it happens now. I'm looking to purchase a drill press, which would eliminate the chance of getting electrocuted and a couple of beach glass collectors have shared ideas of how they place the glass w/o needing to hold onto it w/ their fingers. Even with the precautions he takes and the drill press, I'll still let hubby do the drilling
@Aurone (4758)
Don't blame you one bit.
@ElicBxn (60052)
I used to take part in live chat with other stitchers and almost all of their "UFO's" were waiting for the back stitch. I totally agree, its boring! I have actually found patterns intricate enough to need minimal back stitch, but then you have to be SO careful with the rest of the stitching.
@Aurone (4758)
True. Some patterns have been created to require no backstiching. Haven't tried one of those yet. Guess I will just have to learn to appreciate what the backstitch does for the look of the pattern and grit my teeth and do it.
@ElicBxn (60052)
me too
I'm not a big fan of the back stitching either, but it does seem to help the piece come to life, or at least some pieces. I love to crochet, but I hate the feel of yarn on my hands. I've thought about wearing gloves while I crochet to see if it helps any, but haven't done so yet.
@Aurone (4758)
I usually leave out as much backstitching as the piece will allow. hmm, never heard of anyone hating the feel of yarn, wool bothers me after a while because I am slightly allergic. Gloves might help but you would have to get a pair that wouldn't inhibit your dexterity.
I hate working in & or tying off the ends in my crochet work. Especially on something like granny squares it's like the more colors you use the more ends you have to work in.... BLEH! But if you don't switch off colors it looks boring. I just do the ends when I'm absolutly bored.
@Aurone (4758)
I beginning to think all crochets and knitters hate tying off. I guess there is a boring aspect to almost every craft.
@capirani (1844)
I crochet and the part that I dislike the most is changing colors. I like just continuing the stitch without stopping for anything and changing colors means I have to stop. I used to change colors by tying knots. Now I do a weave process that takes longer but there are no knots in the finished project. Either way, I don't like having to stop to do what is needed to change the colors. I also do not really like joining pieces together.
@Aurone (4758)
Yeah, I don't like doing that or changing skeins when it is a project bigger than one skein. Nobody seems to like joining pieces together--perhaps its too much like sewing.
i love painting and doing artsy type things and i always have really cool ideas and i try to put them together and it all seems so be coming along good but then i find something that i dont like and have to change the whole thing and i hate it! i also hate starting a painting and then when it is almost done i find that i dont like it anymore. it really makes me sad.
@Aurone (4758)
Wish I could paint. Thats the one craft that I really wish I could do, maybe at some point I will be able to take a class.
@HansonFan (1659)
I cross stitch too. I actually love to back stitch, I like seeing the extra detail form before my eyes. I do hate when you run out of thread and have to run to the store again! lol There isn't much that I don't like about cross stitching. However, I do scrapbook and I hate cleaning up afterwards and anything to do with glitter. It doesn't work with me and creates a huge mess, but I love putting my fun times in a book that I can look at later and share with friends and family.
@Aurone (4758)
Glad that you like cross stitching, I don't met nearly enough people who do, and I hate running out of thread or dealing with any kind of messy clean-up for a craft.
I love sewing and do it every day , but I hate hate hate the cutting out of the patterns and the fabric. I hate that part and wish that I had someone do that for me!! I just want to sew , I hate the laying out of the patterns and cutting it all out.
@Aurone (4758)
I have tried my hand at sewing and I also dislike the cutting out of patterns. But I guess sometimes these things just have to be done. If we want to do the fun parts.
@peavey (15865)
My main craft is knitting, but I absolutely hate to sew the pieces together or to work the ends in. I could get a lot more done if I didn't put off the finishing work.
@Aurone (4758)
I hear that. I crochet and I hate to weave the ends in too.
@nancyrowina (3852)
I like making patchwork but cutting out the patches is tedious and hard work, the way I do it sewing them together is easy and keeps me occupied so I enjoy that bit, it's actually cutting out the patches that gets my goat.
@Aurone (4758)
I can understand that. Sounds like cutting them all out would be a long process. Happy Crafting.
@venshida (4839)
I just started making resin,and I hate the 24 hours wait. I wish the waiting period was shorter.
@Aurone (4758)
I can understand that. Waiting when you are ready to do a craft is no fun. Happy Crafting.
I dis-like cutting out dress pieces. Well, I used to anyway. As I have been changing the surface of fabric with texture I find that I don't dislike the pattern cutting process nearly as much. There are some stitches in knitting that I dislike doing, I tend to avoid them and if they are in a pattern I am using I will substitute another stitch. I have never enjoyed sewing hand knit or crochet pieces of a garment together. But I have also found as I get older, more and more I just accept those things a part of the process.
@Aurone (4758)
I try to "accept" that the backstitching needs to be done, but I often leave it out if I don't think it adds anything to the design. Sounds like you do a lot of crafts. Happy Crafting!
I love starting them, hate finishing them. I don't know why. Doesn't matter what it is, my attention gets diverted and I'd rather start something new than finish what I'm alreay working on. My Mom's the same way so maybe it's a genetic thing.
@Aurone (4758)
Craft ADD, huh? Well, maybe you will get some of them finished soon.
! I hadn't thought of it that way before. My oldest had a bad case of ADD and had a terrible time in school because of it though he was smart. He either got A's or F's because things either got done and turned in or got lost either before or after being done. It isn't just crafts I'm that way with everything. My career work was the type that whatever you were doing had to be done right now and anything not done was passed to the next shift so leaving with things undone was normal. At home though there is no "next shift" I like doing the dishes, hate putting them away. I like doing the laundry, hate putting it away. I have a bathroom right now that's been half painted for two weeks. I hung half of the new kitchen curtains a week ago but not the other half. I started moving furniture instead but I haven't finished that yet either.....hmmm I guess it's project ADD